AACA Insurance coverage, do we or don't we??

Our newly elected/installed Region president had cause to talk with a representative of the insurance company that members are supposed to be covered by for AACA activities. To make a long story short, she was told that this company comes into the picture after any and all other policies you might be covered by are used up. In other words, a lawsuit would start at the grass roots level and work its way up to them. I thought that in case of an accident, such as your running over a person's foot in a parage, you would give the investigators your AACA insurance info but apparrently not.<BR>Can anyone shed any light on this? It has made our Region leery about participation in events such as mentioned previously.<BR>Patt

Guest Old55ford

On contacting National they will refer you to the insuance co. Our new president started with a call to headquarters. She was told to contact the ins. co. direct.<P>was told what is on the early post<BR> Buddy

Basically, what AACA insurance covers is AACA, NOT you. Run over someone's foot and it is your responsibility and not AACA's. If you or your insurance company do not pay and AACA is sued as sponsor of the event, then AACA is covered.<P>That is the reason owners of property where an AACA event is held are willing to let the event be held there and require proof of insurance. They then have assurance that there is insurance somewhere covering loss due to the actions of AACA members.<P>AACA insurance is not "All things to all people" ~ hvs<P>PS: You should also seriously consider Officers and Directors Liability Coverage for your Region. You do NOT have that coverage under the AACA policy. It is available at reasonable cost through AACA Headquarters.

Guest SalG (Sal Grenci)

hvs is correct, The first line of coverage is your vehicle coverage, after all it is you as a member or a paid participant who has insurance on the car required to get the plates. Then AACA's policy through, JC Taylor/Zurich comes in as secondary. Any good Philadelphia lawyer will sue everyone as named defendents, you, AACA, the region, the property owner.<BR>I have taken care of the JC Taylor policy for the my independent club for over 10 years and it is similar to national's, except for the dollar limits, and some details related to AACA's region/chapter system. I have been told by JC Taylor that they are secondary. Go to the insurance seminar at Philly and get the info from the experts.<BR>It is also helpful if you have a lawyer to consult, my cousin, past region pres and a lawyer usually reviews any contracts or documents for shows for the price of a cup of coffee and a doughnut. (not a KK)SalG<p>[This message has been edited by SalG (edited 01-08-2001).]

Guest SalG (Sal Grenci)

No not my cousin Vinny, but his star witness knew her cars. My cousin Sal A. Grenci does come in handy, but people always get us confused. How they tell us apart is that he has a Model A and is an attorney. Sal J. Grenci, aka SalG