How does a club host a National Meet?

Guest Hal Davis (MODEL A HAL)

Guest Hal Davis (MODEL A HAL)

A little background: In Charlotte, Ron and Howard suggested that I see if our local chapter (Savannah, GA) would be interested in hosting a National Meet. I brought it up in our monthly meeting the next day, and it was met with mixed responses. We formed a committee to look into the matter further, with the possibility that we might make it a joint effort with another club, hence my earlier post. I intend to borrow the Policies and Procedures Manual from the club president and contact another club, that has done this before.<P>Do any of you have any additional suggestions about how to and how not to go about hosting a National Meet.<BR><p>[This message has been edited by MODEL A HAL (edited 07-25-2000).]

There is a complete package of info the national office can send you related to hosting a national meet. Give them a call.<P>Peter<BR>P.S. I've put on 3 meets in the past 8-9 years, with a club with 35 members... Jump in! THE WATERS FINE! smile.gif<P>------------------<BR>Peter Gariepy<BR>peterg@aaca.org<BR> <A HREF="http://www.aaca.org" TARGET=_blank>www.aaca.org</A> <p>[This message has been edited by peterg (edited 07-26-2000).]

Glad to hear of your interest - it would be a fantastic area. Please give me a call or shoot me an e-mail and well get you all the info you need. I'll also put you in touch with our SE Division Natl Activities Chairman, Eric Marsh to assist. Terry Bond, VP Natl Activities. terry007@pilot.infi.net

Wow! I made a suggestion and somebody actually listened! Stepping into unknown waters is something that many people and clubs have trouble with. If you are serious about this meet, you will have to exercise a lot of leadership to keep the club on your side to produce a good event. By posting here you've had two excellent and direct responses as I predicted.<P>If your region has a good relationship with the other club, joint sponsorship of the meet may be a very good idea. However, there is really nothing magical about hosting a National Meet with a small club. With good leadership (you, Hal) and enthusiasm, it can be done. And I guarantee, I'll be there.