Founders Tour

Guest rcirilli

Guest rcirilli

I hope that when some of those Founders Tourer's get back they will let us know how much fun they had and any unique events that occurred. It was in my back yard and a thing called work kinda prevented me from going. I felt like I went anyway last week since I drove over 1000 miles, except that I was in my Cavalier that has 144,000 miles on it. I may drive it into antiqueism. Not because I'm so in love with it but because it just runs so good. Anyway back to the tour.

We had a great week here in Virginia -155 cars with over 300 AACA Tourers enjoyed lots of history starting with visits to Jamestown, Colonial Williamsburg, Carters Grove Plantation, a "cruise in" at a recreated 50's diner. Later we visited a historic church, a farming museum and Smithfield, home of the famed Smithfield Ham where we spent an afternoon antique hunting and doing what AACA tourers do best EAT! Our Wednesday banquet featured the best Elvis since Elvis - and the crowd just kept on dancing! Thursday we went to downtown Norfolk where we had top floor in a parking garage reserved while we shopped till we dropped or visited several museums all within an easy walk. That evening we toured on a cruise boat to the Norfolk Navy Base where we had a running commentary on the history of the harbor and a close up look at such neat sights as one of our newest aircraft carriers and even a submarine up out of the water in a drydock. Friday we went back to the Navy Base to see the ships close up on a guided bus tour. We ate breakfast in the Navy Galley, and had a lunch in the Officer's Club. One of the highlights was a stop at a military ceremony honoring Canada and the USA - complete with a Founders Tour FIRST - an F-14 Tomcat fighter jet flyover. That evenings closing banquet was absolutely fantastic with hardly a dry eye in the place as we honored our proud military heritage - complete with Tidewater Region AACA's retired military members proudly in uniform. We completed the evening with dancing to live big band music. The week sure went by fast, was blessed with decent weather and the perfect mix of fellowship, fun, food and old cars. Check out our Tidewater Region Website as we are starting to put some pics on for all to enjoy. Be sure to check out the saga of the disappearing yellow vest that our Tour Chairman, Jeff Locke seemed to have lost. Hope everyone made it home safely, we had a blast having you all visit. We'll be posting a list of award winners on the Website, and of course will have a report in Antique Automobile Magazine later. Terry Bond, Tour Director.

Hey, it was a great tour and Terry covered the general flow of happenings pretty good. However, I don't know where he was during some of the days when he experienced the nice weather. The first two days were in the 90's with humidity the same, Wednesday it poured during the shopping day in Norfolk, well not in the shopping mall, but outside trying to get to the museums. It did clear up for the harbor cruise. <P>Then on Thursday, it pourrrrrrrrred on the way back to the motel. Guess that was to wash the salt out of the system from the Smithfield ham. Several cars were flooded on that trip including a new restored 40? packard whose glove box had water in it. Our corvette only had a 1/2" in the front, it holds about 6" before flowing out the doors.<P>Friday was great for the Navy Base tour. 79 and clear. Fair skies and following winds!!!<P>Again it was a great tour and weather, good or bad, sure didn't take away the fun I think all had.<P>Chuck

Opps, turned Thursday and Wednesday around. So much happened in Virginia couldn't keep track of what day it was!!!<P>Hope all had a safe return. Ronbarn was taking some great pictures which should be on the net soon. <P>Chuck

Guest rcirilli

It sounds like it was great fun and normal southern weather for this time of the year. I really appreciate the recaps and I know a lot of others will enjoy hearing about it. I'm really looking forward to Ronbarns pictures. One never knows what will show up in them.

Had a great time on the tour.The first few days were very HOT.The tour committe did a great job.The traffic was more than to my liking,but all in all it went O.K.The boat tour of the harbour,and the tour of the navy base the following day was memorable.As Dan Binger would say " BOY HOWDY"for the tour.PLM

In my opinion, the tour was a complete dud!<BR>There WAS NO TOURING!!<BR>This is my eleventh Founder's Tour , it was the most expensive and most boring of all the tours. I understood that the purpose of the tours was to drive the old cars over the back roads of the country with coffee breaks,fellowship and points of interest. There was NO TOURING on this trip. The only time we traveled off the interstates, was on the same highway back and forth each time. This is not my idea of "touring". <BR>I spoke with many dissatisfied participants,this experience was more like taking a planned tour on a tour bus with a Senior citizens group. I've always looked forward to the annual tour,but now I am wondering if future plans will be worthwhile.

Guest rcirilli

Well, It sounds like most had fun. I know from personal experience that it is getting harder and harder to put on a tour cheap. A big responcibility is to keep people naturally entertained. That's harder than it seems especially for experienced tourers who have seen almost everything. The old days of real treasure shops were 90% of the items are not made in China is getting really difficult. Sometimes when you do set up a day like that you find out when it's too late most of them are closed the day your tour is going through. Wonder why they didn't say something when you were soliciting ad's. Oh well, we keep learning.<p>[This message has been edited by rcirilli (edited 07-05-2000).]

HEY - - -<P>If you want a tour that is not expensive and driving on back roads with NO interstate highways, and no stops at a factory outlet mall - - - there will be one in Colorado in August 2001. It will be the Western Divisional Tour of three days hosted by the Buzzard's Breath Touring Region.<P>Dan<BR>

And then you can come down from the nosebleed section to recuperate. Just joking. Dan and I are good friends. But seriously, the Deep South Region will be hosting the 2001 Southeastern Divisional Tour Nov. 1-2-3 which we anticipate to be<BR>not only inexpensive (aka cheap) but fun as well. Think USS Alabama, Avenue of the Oaks to Fire Museum, Bellingrath Gardens, Southern hospitality, & food, food, food. All this plus a fish fry and hay ride! And that's only mentioning a part of it.<BR>Patt

Bob, Come to the Buzzy Tour [not to be considered the nosebleed run wink.gif] in 2001 and I will provide you with a car to drive. smile.gif Howard<p>[This message has been edited by Howard Scotland (edited 07-06-2000).]

If I didn't know what a fine fellow Howard is, I would think he is trying to bribe folks into coming to his tour. Tee hee! We can't compete with offering vehicles to drive (I don't think but will take it under advisement and check on it) but can guarantee you a ride on the haywagon unless you'd prefer to ride what is pulling it. HA! Now...take that HV!

Guest rcirilli

I will certainly keep that in mind Howard and for my 100 post I will state an old Chinese proverb " man who does no wrong keep money in his own pocket" That's a literal translation of course!!!

Hey, I just finally paid my 1999 today and wish my accountant had the same translation.<P>Back on the subject - the concept of finding cars for tourists that you know so they can attend one of the "remote" tours is super. I've taken advantage of a loan and provided some. Don;t see how we can make it part of the formal tour planning, but within our group(s) for friends it's a good approach to providing opportunities for more touring. Are there any problems we should look at?<P>Congrats to Bob on 100. And just think - only a little while ago he couldn't even spell DFer. <p>[This message has been edited by ronbarn (edited 07-07-2000).]

Borrowing and lending cars is nothing new within our group of touring close friends. I drove one of John Myer's cars on the Arab, Alabama tour and John drove one of mine 4800 miles on a tour from Cheyenne to San Diego, to the bay Area, on the Founders Tour and back to Cheyenne 2 years ago. I plan to have about 6 cars on the 2001 Tour in Colorado, all driven by friends and will probably borrow something for some of the southern tours.<P>I know Ron borrowed a car in Arizona and loaned a car to Dbinger in Alabama. Dan loans cars all the time when friends come to Wyoming. I once loaned my '85 Chrysler T&C conv. to John Myer and he ended up buying it from me the next year.<P>I do not see any pitfalls so long as it is kept among friends whose driving skills we trust. We all have similar antique vehicle insurance which covers other people's cars when we drive them, so there should be no concern about affecting the lender's insurance. However, don't go lending out your cars to people who are not CLOSE friends. That could be risky. smile.gifsmile.gif Howard

Guest BruceW

Di and I would love to attend some of the AACA tours. However, with work and kids and obligations, etc... etc..., we just can't do it now. Hopefully in the not too distant future we will be able to take advantage of some of the tours.<BR>I always forget which tour is which... Founders, Glidden, divisional, etc.... on things such as years of cars involved, approximate number of days, etc (I do know the vintage tour is for the really early cars).<BR>I think it would be great if the AACA webpage (if its not there already) would have a page that lists and describes each type of tour that the AACA has. Is this possible?

Bruce - good suggestion. I should know, but will have to check if we have it on the home page. If not we'll get it there soon. Be patient since we are going throught some changes to get a new server and some update support. Quickly:<BR> Reliability - Pre-1916<BR> Vintage - Pre-1928<BR> Glidden - Pre-1936 for AACA tour and up to Pre-1942 for VMCCA tours<BR> Founders - 1936 through 25 years old<BR> Divisional - depends on host region or chapter.<P>You and Di, and even the kids might consider attending one of the tours as passengers. If you don't know someone to hitch a ride with, let us know on this DF and you may find a ride easier to get than you can imagine. Most of us "seasoned" tourists are more than willing to introduce new comers to one of the greatest parts of our hobby.

My first Founders Tour was a delightful experience! Much applause, please, for Tidewater Region, who worked long and hard, with many of their members helping, to pull off such a well-planned and well-executed tour. Was it perfect? Of course not. (Well, almost) Was it enjoyable? YES, INDEED!!!! Looking forward to next year's (with my husband next time)!

• 2 weeks later...

Every tour participant will be getting a special edition of our Region Newsletter "The Mudflap" with some extensive coverage on the tour and it includes a good pic of the F14s. As many times as I've seen that while on active duty, it was still an awesome sight and a real treat!<BR>Terry

Guest SalG (Sal Grenci)

Terry, Just a little side note on F-14's. They were built by Grumman on Long Island and I worked for them for 3 summers while in college, and 3 years in purchasing. I got to see them built from the ground up. My father, 42 years with them, was on the team that negotiated the contract with the Navy and he was the one who hand delivered the final proposal to Navy. SalG

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sherrel Thomas:<BR><B>In my opinion, the tour was a complete dud!<BR>There WAS NO TOURING!!<BR>This is my eleventh Founder's Tour , it was the most expensive and most boring of all the tours. I understood that the purpose of the tours was to drive the old cars over the back roads of the country with coffee breaks,fellowship and points of interest. There was NO TOURING on this trip. The only time we traveled off the interstates, was on the same highway back and forth each time. This is not my idea of "touring". <BR>I spoke with many dissatisfied participants,this experience was more like taking a planned tour on a tour bus with a Senior citizens group. I've always looked forward to the annual tour,but now I am wondering if future plans will be worthwhile. </B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>

Responding to Sherrill Thomas I must say, each place has its own special qualities. These tours shouldn't be cookie cutters. Some are urban, some quaint, and next year one really rural. You want back roads? If you've got a 1928-58 vehicle come to the 2001 Eastern Divisional Sentimental Tour. This is probably the most "country" you'll find anywhere, and George Washington was born here! Until you've planned a Tour and run a Tour, you really don't know how tough it is. I had a really good time on this year's Founder's Tour until the passenger door wouldn't open!! Well, even that is fixed now!

Thanks Dynaflash8,I helped plan the First Founders Tour 1988 Huntsville,Al. The Southestern Div. Tour 1998. BEEN THERE DONE THAT for the past 40 years.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sherrel Thomas:<BR><B>Thanks Dynaflash8,I helped plan the First Founders Tour 1988 Huntsville,Al. The Southestern Div. Tour 1998. BEEN THERE DONE THAT for the past 40 years.</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>