More Old Gas Station Pictures!

Steve Moskowitz

It's interesting to note the one station in the '30's is selling gasoline with the 10 percent ethanol mix! Everyone thinks that's a new idea! Sorta like unleaded gas,which has been around forever! Apparently the "corn alcohol" mix didn't work so well as it eventually went by the wayside:maybe we should learn from other's mistakes!

I wonder what happened to the B17 I never tire looking at old cars and gaspumps. Does any one know what kind of pumps the ethanol pumps are?

hi, the bomber is still there, in the south portland, oregon area, i was there about a year ago, delivering some freight about one mile away, a fellow pontiac club member picked me up, and we went to have breakfast in the bomber diner located behind the bomber gas station. the bomber was under going a restoration then. charles coker, 1953 pontiac tech advisor.

Look carefully at this photo. The Chrysler/Plymouth sign is obvious. If you look very carefully there is an International (trucks) sign in the plate glass winhdow to the left of the photo. Finally, unless I'm mistaken, I believe that the sign on the overhang reads "The 1937 Terraplane is Here". An interesting combination of franchises!

post-30638-143139319416_thumb.jpg

Nice pictures and lots of fun to see, thanks.

However, we can't always believe what we see, as illustrated by picture 29. It's a picture of a 1934 Ford Victoria at an Esso station getting a service interview and a trunk full of fuel!

Notice the guy at the back of the car doing the fueling? He's pumping gas into the trunk.

The Vicky is the only 1934 Ford with an in the body trunk, and the fuel filler neck in on the left side of the car, like all 34 Fords.

It got me wondering if the Vicky was different so I wrote a buddy with a Vicky to confirm it, Yep, left side filler neck. (Did you know that the 34 Vicky is the only 34 Ford that the body has to be lifted to remove the gas tank?) That's what made me check out this photo which I believe was staged. Also notice the 34 didn't stop as quickly as the vehicle that had been in front of him. I hope the driver was making brake adjustment appointment.

gas29.jpg

This pic appeared on the CLC Forum today:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]170985[/ATTACH]

Any idea where it was taken. No real reason, but I am guessing Detroit? Oops, just noticed the Nebraska Historical Society copyright. So, perhaps Omaha?

My question is: What kind of gas pumps are these?

Guest danceswithpumps
This pic appeared on the CLC Forum today:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]170985[/ATTACH]

Any idea where it was taken. No real reason, but I am guessing Detroit? Oops, just noticed the Nebraska Historical Society copyright. So, perhaps Omaha?

I think this was taken in Lincoln, Ne.

Glad this was posted. Ethanol wasn't supported by FDR like it should have been. Think where we would be now.

Rod van Pelt

What am I missing? How is it that you are able to state with precision both the location and date?

If you'll look, that's the title of the thread I posted on the "what is it? forum regarding this photo. The date and place came from a news article on ethanol fuels that had the photo in it.:)

It also appears that the photo has this date in the lower left hand corner? --Bob

Youse guys must be a heck of a lot younger than me? While I do see something in the lower left corner, I do not see a 4/11/33 date. I'll have to take your word for it.

Here are my contributions the first shown here is Harrington's Garage the Mopar Dealership in my Hometown of Long Lake NY post-43003-143139325181_thumb.jpg

The next 2 are of the Long Lake Garage which was a Mobil Station. I now proudly have the Pegasus hanging in my shop that is up under the peek of the building. I got it from the guy in the middle of the Summer Photo. post-43003-143139325188_thumb.jpg

I have no idea of where this station is but I believe it was in upstate NY as it came in a photo album from a friend.post-43003-143139325193_thumb.jpg

post-43003-143139325186_thumb.jpg

post-43003-143139325191_thumb.jpg

Really liked the picture of Harrington's Garage so I cleaned it up a little.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]171507[/ATTACH]

Thanks I had no way of getting a good picture. I actually took a picture of a picture for that one. My Dad worked there for a few years, in the late 60's-early 70's. He said the owner was a really nice guy to work for. I wish they would have gotten a bigger photo with some of the cars in it. The plow truck is a Dodge Powerwagon wrecker.