Cat Converter

Don Hudd

It will run OK with a straight pipe. I have done it on other cars but not a Reatta. At one time you could by a "test pipe" made to replace the cat but I'm not sure if they are still available.

There are problems you will run into:

• It will not pass emissions tests if required in your state.
  • Most muffler shops will not do the work for you.
  • You may be breaking federal laws by doing it.

Guest BAABUICK

Don,

I replaced my cat with a straight pipe several years ago & haven't had any issues (no fumes, no rasp). If anything, the exhaust note is a little deeper.

I think the converter is bad, do I have to replace it or can I cut it out and run a straight pipe. Will car run ok? any known problems doing this?

Before cutting out the cat, what is the problem? Is there excessive back pressure? (This can be measured by placing a back pressure gauge in the O2 sensor hole.)

Well,

The car doesn't need a cat to run well. Will probably even gain you a small amount of additional HP (5 or so) without, and the exhaust will probably sound just a bit more "aggressive". The big issue is whether your state still requires emission testing on pre OBD-2 (1996 model year and later) cars. Missouri [thankfully] dropped the requirement for any pre-1996 model year cars to be emissions tested a couple of years back. So, I only have to get an annual safety (which is not that stringent anyway) and the straight pipe is a non-issue.

I would point out that I bought the car with no cat, previous owner was in KY so I assume that it was below the radar there as well. I have no desire to restore the converter to my car as the state will not flag me for it being removed, and thus it is needless expense to put one back. It has a professionally installed (cut/flared) straight pipe on on, and has caused me not a lick of trouble.

Works for me, and I maintain my car well so I doubt it is contributing any real pollution more than it would with the cat present. It does smell a touch rich at times (if idling and I am standing at the rear of the car) but not enough that I am concerned about it.

YMMV

KDirk

converter was plugged so replaced with straight pipe but, still have therough running at idle, not all the time but does seem to be getting worse. Acts like it is going to stall but never has yet. Gas milage continues to go down, though by changing the converter would fix this but it did not. I do have the non delco coil pack, but do not see any oozing. any ideas?

Thanks

MAF sensor? you might could go ahead and do the coil-pack conversion. Mine has that problem I think, it didn't used to stall, but in the past couple months, it has a couple times.

I don't have an oozing, but my friend told me I probably still need to change the coil.