1947 56C Project "Can't finish unless you start"

jackofalltrades70

Matt,

You are truly an intrepid Buick restorer! I have recently completed the reupholstery of our 49 Super and it was a fascinating experience. Like you, I started out by carefully removing the material for patterns. I was successful with that. I was going to sew up the new upholstery with the help of my wife who is excellent with sewing and fabrics. She took one look and told me I was nuts.

So, I bought a kit that was already cut and sewn but I will tell you that we had some great fun doing the work.

A good heavy duty old sewing machine like a Pfaff 120 will be your best friend. And forget the tacks (in most places). They were skilled artisans in the '40s and used tacks skillfully but today, a good upholstery staple gun and lots of hog rings will be your next best friends.

We just finished the work on the front seat which took us the longest of all the pieces. I've attached a couple of photos.

Keep up the good work.

Dan

post-61965-143138981407_thumb.jpg

post-61965-143138981429_thumb.jpg

The seat is looking great! Those seat backs look much the same as my '41 coupe. I did my own sewing for the seats on my '41, french seams and all, which my wife wouldn't do! I learned sewing a few years at work (long story) and used that experience to base the car sewing on. If I can do it, you can too, just make sure the machine is heavy duty enough.

Can't wait to see the next installment!

Keith

Well, thanks to my friend 48Super, I am off and running in a different direction for a couple of days. Looking for a HD sewing machine on one hand and on the other I'm cutting templates out for my interior panels. I worked on the rear seating area tonight and got the two sides cut for the panels where the ashtrays and window regulators are. I'll start on the door panels tomorrow. Just the waterproof cardboard templates, no upholstery yet. Sure is nice to have something solid to work with when it comes to these panels. Matt:)

• 2 weeks later...

Well, back home from 5 days in the hospital......Diverticulitis (I think that's how it's spelled) Nasty stuff and I don't recommend it to anyone! I bought a radio on ebay for parts and it made it to the house. Worked on a piece of stainless tonight for about an hour or so. Might work on some seats stuff tomorrow. If I get anywhere, I'll take some pictures. Matt:D

Well, I've worked on the mustache bar a little bit more. Thanks to Smartin' I'm getting better at polishing. Got a lot more to do before I change out to the next polishing bonnett. I also worked on some seat stuff. It's not the best looking and i still have some more sewing and adjusting to do to the bench, but I'm happy with my results. It might not be factory patterns, but it works for me.;)

post-72076-14313906662_thumb.jpg

post-72076-143139066628_thumb.jpg

post-72076-143139066636_thumb.jpg

post-72076-143139066644_thumb.jpg

the car is quite the adventure.....I'm learning lots of new things. I am recovering the frames and I cannot lie, I had the actual seat cover pleating sewed for me. Was quite economical. But, it still is a little of an on-taking stretching everything and hog ringing everything down. Thanks for the comments, but honesty is my policy and I don't wanna lead anyone on. Matt

• 2 weeks later...
Well, I've worked on the mustache bar a little bit more. Thanks to Smartin' I'm getting better at polishing. Got a lot more to do before I change out to the next polishing bonnett. I also worked on some seat stuff. It's not the best looking and i still have some more sewing and adjusting to do to the bench, but I'm happy with my results. It might not be factory patterns, but it works for me.;)

Matt- Want to do mine when you're done?!? They look great, can't wait to sit it in next year at South Bend....right? :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...
Well, I'm still here, just can't do anything to my lil' lady. This really sucks because I wanted to have her painted before cooler temps come in the fall. We'll have to see..........Matt

Matt, I've been wondering what you're up to lately...give us an update when you can and hang in there!

• 1 month later...

Well, let's see now...............I've now had 12" of my colon removed and re-sectioned and my little lady still sits, untouched in the garage. My wife walked into the garage today and looked at the car and said "my, I had forgotten how much you were doing to this car". I cannot wait until I get a little better. I still might make paint fly before winter...............I need to get started again and get the bodywork finished up. I can work on the interior panels and finish up the seats over the winter. Come on guys!!!!!!!! Help me get motivated again. Matt

Thanks Lamar! That helped! Adam, I'll let you know when I get rolling again. I've still been buying up parts when I see them and can afford them. I was checking fitment of inside trim on the passenger door and have found out the door is warped. Gonna have to build one hell of a contraption to "un-bend" the door. Don't know how I missed this with everything else I've been doing on and around the car.............frustrating to say the least.

Matt;

Sorry to hear of your troubles. They are sure some nice looking cars Mr. Earl posted! My nearly finished '41 Roadmaster coupe is very much the same colour as the one in the top picture. It was a long road to get it to this point, not fully complete, but now roadworthy for the first time in at least 30 years!

I've admired the progress that you've been making on your '47. It's going to be a great car when it's done! Keep up the good work!

Keith

• 2 weeks later...

Put the other 2 rims and tires on today that I got from my buddy 41Roadmaster! Contemplating removing the seat and working on more upholstery until I can manhandle more stuff around. I have some more body work to do to the front fenders and am contemplating removing the front clip again, but not sure and it will have to wait until I can lift stuff again. Getting my plan together for this winter and trying to organize. Matt

I haven't done much of anything.... Still have to finish up bodywork on passenger door, and front clip. Then have to seal everything, high build primer, sand, prime, sand, paint, etc. I'll be working on interior panels and finishing the seats and trying to work on the stainless throughout the winter months. Still have to put in the wiring harness after I get all painted. If I can get back into the swing of things, I might have a driver sometime next year.

I might suggest taking that warped door to a body shop and see what it would cost to have them straighten and send it back in primer. I know you want to accomplish this on your own but I think everyone here would give you a lot of lattitude considering the other issues you've endured. At least at that point maybe you could move towards priming the complete body and then see where you stand on the front end body work?

Just a suggestion, and feel free to ignore it.

I've thought about that. But, I have an idea on straightening it that I'll try first. I have a spare set of doors, but are rusted pretty bad at the bottom. They will help me get the right "curveature" back in the right spot. I have to set up some tables in the basement for the seats and uphostery that I'll be working on during the winter. Then I'll have the car "freed back up" to start bodywork and letting some primer fly again. Matt

Well, some good news. My idea on straightening the door is working. Involves a very heavy hammer, come-a-long hooked to a d-ring in the floor of the garage and a 2x4 to absorb the blow. Just going to take it a little at a time. I also worked on some pieces that need to be chromed that had some dents in them. I also am working on some of my extra parts. Might need to sell some of the 3rd sets to fund some of the chroming costs and possibly paint costs. Matt

Hey Matt, glad to hear you're up and about, if not at 100% yet. Hang in there. I try to remind myself that once my car is restored I'll be bored stiff, so try to enjoy this time you have!

Also, kudos on the ingenuity involved in straightening your door. Here's the mental image I have of you in the basement...pretty close, eh?!?

Oh yeah, and post some pics!

post-75951-143139201239_thumb.jpg

Well, Made it to Hershey this afternoon. Just happened to have my door lock cylinder with me in the truck and had a new key made at Jessers. Now I can open everything and work the ignition. Also talked with Librandis about some chrome work. Nice people. Lots of bare and open spaces. Went by the BCA tent and it was closed???? It was fixin' to rain, so maybe closed up shop for the night. Had a great time at the AACA Night at the Museum. Was a really nice, pleasant atmosphere and was enjoyed by all. Calling it a night. More Buick treasure hunting tomorrow. Matt

Today was a slammer! Bought a very nice grill (complete) with mustache bar for a song. Guy didn't want to take it back with him. Bought new door sills for the car. This hurt the most $$$$. Got another spare radio for parts. Has UICK buttons that are nice. The B is missing the metal insert. Found and purchased Right and Left side NOS old dealer stock rocker panels for 42 - 48 Buick Series 50-70! Another song. Going to see what it will cost me to make some more sets. You just don't find these anymore NOS never installed. Purchased a wagonload of 46-48 convertible only parts from another guy, plus he has a 48 76C car, complete that I'm going to see next week. He's only 30 min. from my house. Another RM convertible in the stable?? Probably because I think the price is going to be right! Looks like I'll be living in the stable when wifey sees it! HA! Got a TP showtime paint system from a guy who used it two times. I was gonna buy a new one, but on the way to the TP space, I run into this guy with this one and made a sweet deal on it! I'll post some pictures of some of the stuff after I get home and straightened around. Sometimes it's o.k. to have triplicates on things. Kaching! Matt

Today was a slammer! Bought a very nice grill (complete) with mustache bar for a song. Guy didn't want to take it back with him. Bought new door sills for the car. This hurt the most $$$$. Got another spare radio for parts. Has UICK buttons that are nice. The B is missing the metal insert. Found and purchased Right and Left side NOS old dealer stock rocker panels for 42 - 48 Buick Series 50-70! Another song. Going to see what it will cost me to make some more sets. You just don't find these anymore NOS never installed. Purchased a wagonload of 46-48 convertible only parts from another guy, plus he has a 48 76C car, complete that I'm going to see next week. He's only 30 min. from my house. Another RM convertible in the stable?? Probably because I think the price is going to be right! Looks like I'll be living in the stable when wifey sees it! HA! Got a TP showtime paint system from a guy who used it two times. I was gonna buy a new one, but on the way to the TP space, I run into this guy with this one and made a sweet deal on it! I'll post some pictures of some of the stuff after I get home and straightened around. Sometimes it's o.k. to have triplicates on things. Kaching! Matt

Matt, you're a kid in the candy store!!! Glad to hear you're having fun : )

Thanks guys! I came home today because the weather forecast is calling for rain tomorrow. Didn't want to have problems getting the camper in its spot in the back yard. Those door sills sure are pretty! The TP tools spray system works really nicely and cannot wait to shoot some primer. After soaking all of the door locks, ignition switch, glove box and trunk, everything locks and unlocks now! Matt