1940 buick Roadmaster Coupe how still exist?

Guest Scott in OC

Guest Scott in OC

I have a 1940 Buick Roadmaster Coupe 76s all there no rust great car. Plan to do a frame off restoration someday after i am done with my model a hot rod. How could i find out how many still exist. Thanks SCOTT post-85762-143139103095_thumb.jpg

post-85762-143139102972_thumb.jpg

post-85762-143139102998_thumb.jpg

post-85762-14313910302_thumb.jpg

post-85762-143139103044_thumb.jpg

post-85762-143139103067_thumb.jpg

Edited by Scott in OC (see edit history)

Guest Rob McDonald

Wow, fine car! Seems to me unusual to find that long Roadmaster hood on a coupe. No wonder you're curious how rare it might be. A source I just Googled says 2,834 Sport Coupes were built, out of the total 18,775 Roadmasters built in 1940. I'd guess a 1% survival rate, so yours could be one of just 28 - or maybe less. How's the interior? Looks like someone did some freshening-up under the hood, sometime in the last 72 years.

Edited by Rob McDonald (see edit history)

Guest prs519

I will bet this car has a ride and driving quality comparable to many modern cars, provided you do not overtach her. Thanks for the

rare pics.....even the pics are rare, I believe!

A very fine car.

14 off 1940 76S listed in the 2003 BCA roster (cannot locate later years just now)

So 2 to 3 times that many ? (28 to 42 ?)

Thanks for sharing, I have a Canadian built (McLaughlin) '41 Roadmaster Coupe, that I have just got on the road after a long restoration. Love the look of these big coupes, with the long hood and notch back style. Thanks for sharing the pictures.

Keith

• 1 month later...

I was searching the interenet for any info on a 1940 Buick Roadmaster Coupe. My interest stems from the fact that I once owned one. I sold it in the mid to late 70's and have regretted it for many years. Old story, huh? Mine was in very good original condition with the original interior very much intact. It was silver over blue. It had a radio and the original fender skirts. The car was originally purchased at East Coast Motors in West Palm Beach, Florida. The story is that the wife of a Commodore Foster (with homes in Atlantic City, NJ, West Palm Beach, Florida, Boston and maybe other cities) had been struck with blindness. When she needed a new car, she told her chauffer to purchase a car to his liking, provided that it was comfortable for her to ride in. He bought the Buick. At some point, the car was given to a niece as a Birthday present. The niece lived in the Atlantic City (it might have been Margate, NJ) home. The car was shipped by rail car to Atlantic City. A past owner had a picture of the car in the railroad yard with a big ribbon tied around it. I never got that picture. The chauffer came to Atlantic City and lived out his days there. One of the past owners took me to meet him. Unfortunately he was suffering from illness and had a difficult time with the conversation. There was some of the original paperwork with the car, including the original owners manual.

I bought the car with the intent to 'just fix it up and drive it'. It was very presentable when I bought it except for a pronounced rod knock. I had not been in the hobby very long when I owned the car. I soon realized that I did not have the means to properly rebuild the engine. That realization led me to sell the car. The last I knew of the car it was in the Toms River, NJ area. I saw an ad a few years ago for a 76S in Virginia that looked a lot like the car. I could never get the owner to return my calls.

I belonged to the Buick Club of America and at that time, I know there were only a few 1940 76S coupes.

Well, I hope I haven't bored you with the story. I just hoped you might enjoy my experience with a 76S. I know the post was year old but maybe there is still interest.

• Like 2

Guest Rob McDonald

RISBEE, great story! Many high end cars were first owned by the very wealthy but their stories get lost, just like everyone else's. You've managed to save a bit of Mrs. Foster's memory and that of her chauffeur. Do you remember his name?

RISBEE, great story! Many high end cars were first owned by the very wealthy but their stories get lost, just like everyone else's. You've managed to save a bit of Mrs. Foster's memory and that of her chauffeur. Do you remember his name?

No, I'm afraid that I don't remember his name. I know when he spoke of the car, you could tell that he loved the car. Despite his difficulty having a conversation, it was easy to tell that he thought he was 'the cat's meow' when driving around in the car.

I meant to mention that when the niece was no longer driving the car it got put in a building with a '34 Plymouth coupe. It was a concrete block building and over the years the garage door was removed and blocked in. When the cars were found, the deal was to remove the cars and restore the building to a garage in exchange for the cars. Also, the Buick served one owner, before me, as his college car. College was in Ohio, so it made quite a few trips between New Jersey and Ohio.

• 1 year later...
I wondered what was meant by that 500 on the ID plate! Here's a neat synopsis of the South Gate plant, which closed in 1982 - South Gate Assembly - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. Unlike the sad stories we read from elsewhere, Detroit's Grand Avenue Packard facility especially, this site was redeveloped to serve the community.

Another '40 76S sold on Ebay recently...a rough but very restorable car. I had a chance to look it over before it was sold and noticed it was a (Southgate) California build, body no. 499...just one car before #500 that was discussed here. Not many 76S Coupes around, so knowing of two sequential survivors was kinda neat, I thought. Here's a link to the SOLD eBay car. Don't know who got it or where it went.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1940-Buick-Roadmaster-/121333904416?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&forcerrptr=true&hash=item1c40107420&item=121333904416&nma=true&si=C8b9NPd5rwCGWJ3gi6Qeu8hW9cg%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557