Any Sonett Fans here?

Guest seckmank

Guest seckmank

I recently came across a 69 Sonett V4 in pretty good condition that I plan to restore for show (and a little pleasure driving). It's a project that my son and I are taking on. I was wondering if there are any other Sonett collectors here that would like to carry on some restoration chat now and then.

Here are a couple pictures.

pic2.JPGpic5.JPG

• 1 month later...
Guest coreyvett

I dint have a sonnet but I did have a 66 saab 96. We removed the 3 cylinder 2 stroke engine and replaced it with a 69 sonnet 4 stroke v4. man that car was fun. We put straight pipe dule exhaust on it. It sounded like a lawn mower on steroids. Sold it year before last and ive been trying to buy it back ever since.

you guys will enjoy it, im sure.

If nothing else, you will enjoy working on it together.

Believe it or not, they are not real hard to find parts for. your best bet will be ebay.

• 10 months later...

Very nice Sonett you have! If you ever consider selling / trading it I would sincerely be interested.

I have a 4k orig mile 1973 Sonett III in my house for display, I drove it daily and drove it in there.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest ewstammel

Here is #305

I have begun the chassis cleanup. I have decided to use, after discussions with a professional autobody expert, to use; as much as possible, adhesives. So far so good. I think it is much safer.

post-85541-14313899591_thumb.jpg

post-85541-143138995961_thumb.jpg

post-85541-143138995969_thumb.jpg

Where is that yellow car located? When I was back in rural Indiana visiting relatives I was driving down an old favorite backroad, twisty, hills and valleys, very very rural area. As I round a dangerous slow curve what do I see parking in someone's drive? A yellow Sonnet, but I could only see it from the rear, heck surprised myself that I even knew what it was. There's also an Avanti that has been sitting in the same spot in a particular driveway for as long as I can remember. I love finding the oddest machines tucked away in unexpected places.

Very nice Sonett you have! If you ever consider selling / trading it I would sincerely be interested.

I have a 4k orig mile 1973 Sonett III in my house for display, I drove it daily and drove it in there.

I should stop over. We live in Hudson and our 1974 Sonett III has 43K miles now. My son drives it about once a week. Nice all original car.

I'd like to have a photo of your wipers to see what ours should look like. We have two non-matching ones and we are not sure which one is correct.

Guest ewstammel

I had a 73.5 Sonett. Unless you are trying for a "dead on" accurate restoration, anything which fits will work. The wiper motors are a nightmare!!! For a nation with snow I can't believe I had as much trouble as I did. Water would go down the sleeve of the cable which drives the wipers. It would then freeze and crack the motor rotor. Of course it happens in the dead of winter and the nose has to come off to work on it. At least the one I'm working on has a tip nose. My email is estammel@stny.rr.com if you want to try to get together. I'[m about an hour from Catskill.

• 6 months later...

Know a little more now and I favor the later styling but these are weird cars. (IMO, I mean no disrespect) Interesting, but weird. As I understand it, they are front wheel drive? 2 seaters with a fibrglass body. Set up for racing but with an anemic V4 engine. I wonder, is this the same V4 that Ford put in the Mercury Capri import from about 1974ish?

I called the seller and had to leave a message and then sent him an email.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 years later...