Battery - 6v vs 8v

Ron K.

My '40 Cabriolet came with an early Lincoln Y block V8 and I am getting close to starting it after over 50 years of storage. It has a Ford 7 volt generator on it and I know that all you will get out of an 8v battery is what you put into it. So, do I gain anything by buying an 8 Volt battery and charging it with a 7v generator? If not, can you Six Volt Purists out there recommend a monster 6 volt battery to crank this beauty?

Ron; I had Antique Auto Batteries build 2 batteries for me.. The first one lasted 7 years and the present one is 4 years old.. They are a long way from You ,their in Hudson Ohio.. They make them the correct size,the correct amperage and also with the correct Logo on them..They are expensive but i'm a Purest and want everything correct .. They also sell Optima Batteries and if you desire they will put the Optima in a regular case so as to make them look like the original Battery ..They have a web site ,look them up !!

My '40 Cabriolet came with an early Lincoln Y block V8 and I am getting close to starting it after over 50 years of storage. It has a Ford 7 volt generator on it and I know that all you will get out of an 8v battery is what you put into it. So, do I gain anything by buying an 8 Volt battery and charging it with a 7v generator? If not, can you Six Volt Purists out there recommend a monster 6 volt battery to crank this beauty?

Ron,

In addition to the replys above, you mentioned the car has been in storage for at least 50 years; therefore YOU MUST CLEAN AND REMAKE EVERY

GROUND CONNECTION IN THE IGNITION AND STARTING CIRCUITS!!!!!! Just because the connections may look good, do them over!

Larry Butcher

Thank you very much Gentlemen, if the Optima is good enough for John, it is good enough for me. Thanks also for the tip on putting it in a fake case that makes it look period correct I did not think about the gauge of the cables or assuring that I have good ground. I sure wish you guys were my neighbors. Can I still use a seven volt generator on a six volt battery or will that cause problems?

Ron

• 3 weeks later...
Guest dandeman

I agree with the others about using an optima battery and the heavy cables and good connections.

However should you decide to use an 8 volt battery, It is necessary to readjust the voltage regulator to 9.2 Volts

even though the tag said 7 volts the generator is capable of a much higher voltage. I'm sure

that the 7 volts refers to what the regulator would be set at on a typical 6 volt system which should be about 7.2 V