What is this Crosley thing anyway?

Guest Bill D

Guest Bill D

So buried in the back corner of one of the barns, surrounded by a bunch of junk is a Crosley pickup looking thing. It's a bit hard to get to through all the stuff to climb over and or around (my grandfather was a pack rat) But Im trying to find out more about it.

From what I understand, I can get some info from the serial/vin number from the firewall. Problem is I cannot figure out how to pop the hood. I haven't actually gotten to the interior yet so maybe the pop is in there. I thought maybe like a lot of classic cars it would be near the front bumper.

I also thought maybe the hood ornament had something to do with it. The horns of the bull, or whatever that is, are a little loose and wiggly but I didn't want to pull them too hard for fear of breaking them.

I haven't begun to tackle the cleaning out of the barn yet, hence why I haven't gotten to the interior of the car yet. I just taking inventory of whats on hand so far.

Can somebody please tell me how to open the hood as to get the # so I can figure out just what this thing is?

Thanks.

Bill;

From what you've told us so far, even if you had the VIN (top center on the firewall inside the engine compartment on post war models, tough to find on pre war) , I'm not sure it would tell us a lot except the year of what you have, if it is a Crosley. On an original Crosley, there is no bull on the hood (although there is in many of the owners, myself included). Can you tell me where you are?? If not too far away from me or if I can find a member of the Crosley Club nearby, we can come out and tell you better what you have. In lieu of that, perhaps you could take a picture and up load it here or send it to me (tmkldwwj@yahoo.com) and I can help you that way. The hood release is different on diifferent models and depending on the year there are different releases. Most common is a pull from inside the cab. It can be tricky and if the cable is rusted off extremely difficult to release the catch. If I remember right (I don't currently have a functioning Crosley with a hood release) you can take a flat bar and push straight back on the catch from the outside while pressing down on the hood and free it up (if the mechanism isn't also rusted fast). If you would like to talk about it, contact me at my e-mail and I'll give you my phone number so we can talk about it. Happy to help!!

Edited by DAVE A
additional text (see edit history)

Guest Bill D

Dave,

Thanks for the response. We are located in southern central Connecticut. Thanks for the offer to come check this thing out but as for right now I'm just trying to figure out what it is and what its worth. After my grand father passed, my grand mother was left with the task of getting a handle on all his possessions for probate. The properties is in her hands but she asked me (being a car guy) to help get a handle on all the cars. As stated before he was a bit of a pack rat and has several cars to say the least. Most are common and or easy to find info about. Some are not...Enter: Crosley

On an original Crosley, there is no bull on the hood (although there is in many of the owners, myself included).

What you said here, Im a little confused about. Are you saying that because it has a bull, or ram or whatever its called, on the hood, It is not an original? Like a replica or something? I have no doubt its old. It has a registration sticker on the windshield from 1957. (see pic)

I plan to pick up a few things around it this memorial day weekend and try to get the interior. I will take a few more pics then. For no I have a couple I just took from what I can get to.

Thanks for the help.

IMG_20120522_182338.jpg

IMG_20120522_182248.jpg

IMG_20120522_182359.jpg

IMG_20120522_182317.jpg

IMG_20120522_182306.jpg

IMG_20120522_182331.jpg

IMG_20120522_182406.jpg

IMG_20120522_184505.jpg

Guest Bill D
That is a Ram ornament from a 1952 or 1953 Dodge.

Hmm...Thanks for the info! Was Crosley affiliated with Dodge in some way? Or do you think someone just put the ram on for fun.

From what Dave A says, It may be a common thing.

Bill;

Dodge and Crosley had no afilliations that I know of, but it was quite common for people to put some hood ornament or another on an otherwise plain Crosley to dress it up a little. From the pictures you have posted you have a 1947 "roundside" pickup. It looks a little rough, but from what I can see, it is a restorable vehicle. I know a number of Crosley people, myself included, that would be interested in the truck. Please contact me directly tmkldwwj@yahoo.com if you are interested in selling it. Value is a little tough with interior, dash and bed pictures along with running condition (if it will run)being important factors. A picture (from the drivers side) to determine if the engine is the original "tin block" or the cast iron replacement is also helpful. In the case of an unknown running engine, I think (opinion) the cast iron might be more desireable because the likelyhood of getting it running is greater than the "tin block". Once you have that, I can give you a rough estimate of value. If you want to restore it and keep it in your family, I can help you find the parts you may need. We have a number of Crosley people in your area that would love to help you and the Yankee Region of our club is centered in Connecticut. Feel free to contact me or to look at the Crosley club web site... Crosley Automobile Club Inc.- Home for all Crosley Car Owners

Edited by DAVE A
change in text (see edit history)