Anderson Pearson, My 1941-76C Buick Roadmaster

41Roadmaster

• 2 weeks later...

Here are some progress shots of the work done to date. The oil pan has been cleaned and painted, so has the oil filter. New spark plugs are in and a new gasket is in place ready for the manifold. Fan and belt are back on. And, shhhh...an electric fuel pump at the tank...my wife likes driving in the mountains ;)

post-75951-143139287071_thumb.jpg

post-75951-143139287077_thumb.jpg

post-75951-143139287084_thumb.jpg

post-75951-143139287091_thumb.jpg

post-75951-143139287095_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Anderson, I am jealous. The engine looks great, but it could really use a valve cover! My new one looks great! Thanks again.

Dennis

Thanks Dennis ;) Lets see some pics of that beauty of yours...

Before things go too much further on my engine, I plan to go back over the items that still need painting. I'd like to get it looking like it did when it rolled off the factory floor. I know several of the bolts need to be the same color as the engine, as do the water jacket plugs, gasket edges, etc. I also need to get the oil filter painted a warm silver (I'm learning as much as I can from Mr Jenkins, and from all of you guys that have been through all of this already, thanks for the support!!!)

• Like 1

Dad was a hands on guy, seemed to be good, and enjoyed getting his hands dirty too. Although I inherited his ability to work and not get that dirty, WORK IN WHITE SHIRT IF NEEDED. Anyway, he was a huge fan of 41's, he purchased several wrecks over a 5 year period, and since we had a garage under our home, well, that's where he restored them. He would only buy converts, and LOVED what I call powder blue.

Of the 5-children, I was the only one that jumped in and tried to help, I was 6 when he brought home the first one. It had been hit at the cowl drivers side, so got my first look at a PORTA-POWER tool set, I still have one of his. I always tried to talk him into keeping one of the 41's, but he wanted the profit, as they were saving to build a new home. I didn't understand, but do now.

You are doing a great job, sure wish you well, FOR SURE!

Merry Christmas,

Dale in Indy

Anderson, It is easy to agree with the others. Your car is really showing progress and it will be a show stopper when done, of this I am certain. I did want to ask about the fan. The location of the blades looks most interesting. Is this fan missing a few blades? Also is it properly oriented to the rotation of the engine? Never having worked on a straight eight, I always imagined the engines turned counter clockwise when running. If that is the case it appears your fan would be pushing air into the back of the radiator, instead of pulling it through. Is this right?

Hi John & Dale,

Thanks for the encouragement! That, and a big bag of money, will get me through this restoration;)

Here are some scans from my shop manual showing the engine. These fan blades puzzled me from the first day I brought the car home! What a weird looking set up. At first I thought the gaps between the blades were to allow access in some way. But later I was told the asymmetrical layout is specifically designed to offset an asymmetry created elsewhere in the engine, and together they balance.

I'm sure someone on the forum here has the full scoop (please chime in :rolleyes:)

post-75951-143139300385_thumb.jpg

post-75951-14313930039_thumb.jpg

Yup,

Noise was the consideration. Not aparrently cooling. The one lonely blade sticking up is bouble thick for balancing.

Swapped mine out for a Hayden 6 blade stainless flex fan, 'cause we have no air up here @ 8500ft, and with those 3-4 mile long 6 % grades, vaporlock is a way of life.

Don't forget to put a really BIG clear plastic fuel filter between the tank and the electric pump. But I'll bet you knew that already........

Best Regards,

Mike in Colorado

Yup,

Noise was the consideration. Not aparrently cooling. The one lonely blade sticking up is bouble thick for balancing.

Swapped mine out for a Hayden 6 blade stainless flex fan, 'cause we have no air up here @ 8500ft, and with those 3-4 mile long 6 % grades, vaporlock is a way of life.

Don't forget to put a really BIG clear plastic fuel filter between the tank and the electric pump. But I'll bet you knew that already........

Best Regards,

Mike in Colorado

Thanks Mike. Yes, a big clear fuel filter is soon to be installed.

Edited by 41Roadmaster (see edit history)

Anderson,

I put my fuel filter zip tied to the front side of the cross member just in front of the gas tank.

That way when I'm crawling underneath to take a nap or add more STP to the rear shocks, I can do a visual check on the filter.

My electric pump is also on the same cross member and wired directly to the batt via a toggle switch under the dash.

That way we can "prime" the car without turning the ign switch on. Saves a lot of grinding on the starter after she sits awhile.

Best Regards,

Mike in Colorado

Anderson,

I put my fuel filter zip tied to the front side of the cross member just in front of the gas tank.

That way when I'm crawling underneath to take a nap or add more STP to the rear shocks, I can do a visual check on the filter.

My electric pump is also on the same cross member and wired directly to the batt via a toggle switch under the dash.

That way we can "prime" the car without turning the ign switch on. Saves a lot of grinding on the starter after she sits awhile.

Best Regards,

Mike in Colorado

Great tips, Mike! Will do :cool:

I've made an assumption (always a bad idea, right?...) that my restored "factory engine", #(7)4197997, should be as I bought it: ventilator tube from the valve cover to the air cleaner, and a conventional "flat" oil filler cap.

I've seen this topic on the forum in bits and pieces, but want to make sure I have the full picture. The study I've done seems to show some "back and forth" in this design and I want to make sure I end up with the correct setup for my engine number.

My 1941 Buick Shop Manual BPS-1.26 (dated Aug 1, 1940) shows what I assume is the "original design": ventilator outlet pipe at the side of the push rod cover, and a breather-type oil filler (image 1).

My 1941 Part and Service Bulletin BPS-2.96, Abridged Ed, BPS-2.098 through BPS-2.126 (Aug 23, 1940 through Sept 13, 1941) shows a design change effective in production starting with engine numbers for 60-70-90 Series of #4120000 (prior to my engine number.) This describes installing the system I have now (ventilator tube from the valve cover to the air cleaner, and a conventional "flat" oil filler cap.) (images 2-3.)

Restoration Facts 1941 Buick, by Bill Anderson, describes a later service bulletin ("BPS Bulletins, 1942") that seems to reverse this design change (due to reports of carb jets coking) by removing the ventilator tube at the valve cover/air cleaner, plugging the air cleaner hole, and reinstalling the breather-type filler and the ventilator pipe at the side of the push rod cover (images 4-5.)

Does anyone know if this the correct sequence of events? Or have any other information on this?

post-75951-14313930803_thumb.jpg

post-75951-143139308035_thumb.jpg

post-75951-14313930804_thumb.jpg

post-75951-14313930808_thumb.jpg

post-75951-143139308096_thumb.jpg

post-75951-143139308115_thumb.jpg

Happy New Year Anderson,

In response to your post. From what I have seen done most of the time is the ventilator tube from the valve cover to the air cleaner, and a conventional "flat" oil filler cap. I saw at Hershey this year a 41 limited , a 41 51C, and 41 76C which was Doug Seybold's set up that way as well. Both of my 41's have the same configuration. I would make the assumption that this configuration was probably the most common and maybe the best as well.

Dennis

Guest Rob McDonald

ANDERSON, I love to hear fresh rings kissing newly honed cylinder walls, oil galleries filling, and overhauled carbs taking their first breath. However, all I get from this is a black screen and the message, "This video is private". Please unlock.

ANDERSON, I love to hear fresh rings kissing newly honed cylinder walls, oil galleries filling, and overhauled carbs taking their first breath. However, all I get from this is a black screen and the message, "This video is private". Please unlock.

HA! Rob don't you know that is the ultimate tease!

Just unlocked, enjoy.

Guest Rob McDonald

WOO-HOO! Sounds like you just drove it home from work. It's really too bad we can't leave the valve covers off these machines, just to watch those rocker arms do their dance. Beautiful, just beautiful...

• 4 weeks later...
Anderson-

How is the 1941 Buick coming along ?

Al Storrs

Hi Al, thanks for checking in on me.

Sorry for the radio silence. My wife and I are in the middle of renovating our place, so life (and steady Buick follow-up) has been turned upside down. Right now, all of our furniture is packed into the back corner of a bedroom while our floors are being refinished.

I do have some updates to make, but don't have the time, or photos, to do it properly. Overall, just taking some time to get back into your home, and looking forward to the regular routine. I'll be back in action within the next few weeks.

I hope all is well with you,

Anderson

Packing mistake #1:

Never pack the liquor in the BACK CORNER of storage. I started climbing over all the stacked furniture, dishes, glassware, etc to rescue my favorite bottle of bourbon, then realized it would be easier to make the 5 minute drive to the liquor store! ;) CATASTROPHE AVERTED!!!

• 4 months later...

OK, we're back on track (6 months later!) The house renovation is finally done, and the Buick is center stage again...hallelujah!

Since my last post, the Buick has been moved 10 minutes up the road to George McNeil's garage. Many of you may know George or have seen him at shows. He was the head mechanic at Jenkins Restorations for 30+ years, and retired 6 months ago (at 80!). George and I have become good friends and he has agreed to continue to teach me about my car and finish up the restoration.

We're having to back track a bit, but I hope to get some new photos uploaded soon. I'll be excited to see some progress again.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Sorry guys, work and other distractions have been keeping me away from regular updates. But I'm determined to get caught up...;)

Here are some shots inside George's garage. Work is progressing, but I've had a couple of setbacks. I didn't realize that the old gas tank (which I had cleaned/painted) was a larger, incorrect, tank. We didn't notice the problem until everything was going back together (see filler photo.) Luckily after a few phone calls I was able to locate the correct tank.

I'm going to need to look for a better housing for the fresh air intake screen. Mine is pretty crisp.

Also, the bottom of both my inner fenders were badly rusted. New lower sections were made at a local shop. I'm pleased with the way they turned out.

On a positive note, gravel shields are on along with a few other odds and ends...

post-75951-143142192843_thumb.jpg

post-75951-143142192848_thumb.jpg

post-75951-143142192853_thumb.jpg

post-75951-143142192857_thumb.jpg

post-75951-143142192861_thumb.jpg

post-75951-143142192865_thumb.jpg

post-75951-143142192876_thumb.jpg

post-75951-143142192904_thumb.jpg

post-75951-143142192908_thumb.jpg

post-75951-143142192917_thumb.jpg

post-75951-143142192922_thumb.jpg

post-75951-143142192925_thumb.jpg