THE 1953 BUICK WILDCAT MOTORAMA SHOW CAR & IT'S INFLUNENCE ON 1954 & 1955 BUICKS

After posting this on another thread today 11-8-12; I thought this subject should have it's own thread.

I recently came across a photo of a hardtop version of the Buick Wildcat Show Car.

I'm certain most of us are aware of the convertible version of the Wildcat. I was not aware of the hardtop.

In my view the hardtop version influenced the 1955 Buick lineup.

The convertible influenced the 1954 Roadmaster.

Listed below are some of the differences.

1. The sweep spear.

2. The open rear wheel well.

3. The lack of vents on the rear quarter panel.

4. No fender skirts.

5. Different hubcaps. ( May have influenced The 1954 hubcaps)

6. The rear bumper appears to be different.

If we all look a bit closer I'm certain there are other differences, but the ones I listed appeared to be the obvious ones.

I've posted both Wildcat versions for comparison.<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

post-58764-143139250649_thumb.jpg

post-58764-143139250652_thumb.jpg

Edited by xp-300 (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

This is getting scary Dave, you and I are thinking too much alike lately. I have been intending on posting just this thread, to bring this car up for discussion. It is in my bucket list to see this car displayed someday along with the 1954 Buick Landau. In fact I just this morning emailed a couple of people to see if I could initiate that happening. We will see.

As many probably already know, the car is owned by probably the biggest collector of concept cars there is, Joe Bortz. He restored the Wildcat I several years back and was featured in a magazine I thought I had but could not find. This may be it on line. HowStuffWorks "1953 Buick Wildcat"

The front very much resembles another of my favorite Buick Concepts, the 1951 XP 300 shown here with none other than the '54 Landau lurking in the background. post-31987-143139251036_thumb.jpg

Here are a few of my favorite shots from my Buick Concepts/1953 file

post-31987-143139251027_thumb.jpg

post-31987-143139251033_thumb.jpg

Yes this car had many many styling cues of the next years 54's.

Here is one and then I am off to bed, as is it late and the sandman has arrived.

post-31987-143139250992_thumb.jpg

Well, maybe one more shot that will surely excite ALL the Wildcat owners on here. The first Wildcat hood ornament

post-31987-143139251054_thumb.jpg

post-31987-143139250985_thumb.jpg

post-31987-143139251011_thumb.jpg

post-31987-143139251015_thumb.jpg

post-31987-143139251019_thumb.jpg

post-31987-143139251023_thumb.jpg

post-31987-143139251031_thumb.jpg

post-31987-143139251039_thumb.jpg

post-31987-143139251042_thumb.jpg

post-31987-143139251043_thumb.jpg

post-31987-143139251044_thumb.jpg

post-31987-143139251046_thumb.jpg

post-31987-14313925105_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Lamar great photos. Awesome photos.

My bucket list would add the 1951 Buick XP-300 to yours. (The XP-300 is the name I use for my forum posts)

I have always had a hard time deciding which of the two show cars I liked best. The 1951 Buick XP-300 or the 1953 Buick Wildcat.

The XP-300 was of course Charles Chayne's, (head of GM Engineering) personal car after its use in the Motorama. His initials are shown on the bright work in photo number 10 (Top left to right)

In my view the grill work of the 1951 XP-300 is a styling cue still being used on Buick today.

Here are some photos of that Motorma Show Car.

post-58764-143139251973_thumb.jpg

post-58764-143139251939_thumb.jpg

post-58764-143139251946_thumb.jpg

post-58764-143139251948_thumb.jpg

post-58764-143139251951_thumb.jpg

post-58764-143139251953_thumb.jpg

post-58764-143139251957_thumb.jpg

post-58764-14313925196_thumb.jpg

post-58764-143139251962_thumb.jpg

post-58764-143139251964_thumb.jpg

post-58764-143139251966_thumb.jpg

post-58764-14313925197_thumb.jpg

I agree, it would be very difficult to choose between the Wildcat I and the XP-300 but if this version of the Willdcat was thrown in the choices it wouldn't take a second thought. I can not find where this car survived after it's initial showing. In fact I can't find where it was ever shown ???

162357d1352424067-1953-buick-wildcat-motorama-show-car-1953-buick-wildcat-hardtop.jpg

Lamar;

I agree. If the hardtop version is thrown into the mix my choice would be the hardtop.

The hardtop version was new to me till I came across the photo. I was unaware of it and have as yet been unable to find any info on it.

Maybe others can share their thoughts or knowledge on the subject.

Just count the styling cues on this hard top version of the Wildcat. '49 style tailights, the 54 full cut out rear wheels, the 54 full sweep spear, the 54 Skylark trunk lid styling, the 55/56 Roadmaster lift handle on the trunk, the wheel covers even resemble the 54's. What else? I wonder if the interior and engine is the same as the full size Wildcat?

Notice just a hint of similarity in the rear bumpers.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]162519[/ATTACH]

Another Girl on Buick.

Lamar:

There is no question that Buick had considerable talent in its styling department.

Their show cars were a trip in a time machine to the future.

In my view no other GM auto maker came close. Buicks had "Style and Class".

Buick was not number one in the GM scheme of things, (Cadillac saw to that after they complained to GM about the 1941 Buick Brunn Bodied Limited).

But, Buick was a very close second to Cadillac, because of the talent of their styling and engineering departments. No other GM auto came close to Caddy as Buick did.

IMO

• Thanks 1

Check out the reflection in the side panel of the XP 300

162510d1352497936-1953-buick-wildcat-motorama-show-car-51-buick-xp-300.jpg

This photo was taken in 2005 at Meadow Brook Concours d'Elegance. I believe that was before Bob Coker took ownership of The Landau, and was in the collection of John O'Quinn.

One of the most unique features of the 1953 Wildcat were the front hubcaps which incorporated a new technology called 'roto-static brake cooling discs'. This technology used a cooling duct on the wheel that remained stationary to provide a fresh flow of air to the front brakes.

The hubcap never spun with the wheel. They remained stationary while the wheels revolved around them.

I tell you, Buick had a vast array of technology and new ideas.

When the current owner, Joe Bortz restored the car. One of the grills within the hubcap that covers the cooling duct was beyond repair as well as several hubcaps. He had to have them fabricated at a considerable amount of money.

post-58764-143139252105_thumb.jpg

post-58764-143139254479_thumb.jpg

• Thanks 1

Curious - what or who is/was C O C ? (or is that c a c ?)

Hi Rob:

It is C. A. C.

It's the initials of Charles A. Chayne, head of GM Engineering in 1951.

The XP-300 was his personal car after its use in the Motorama.

I like the way he incorporated his initials into a Buick shield.

Here is a photo of Chief Engineer for the XP300, Charlas A. Chayne. He is at the wheel and GM General Manager Ivan Wiles is standing.

The second photo is the XP-300 rear end treatment. Awesome in my view.

post-58764-143139252754_thumb.jpg

post-58764-143139252498_thumb.jpg

• Thanks 1

Guest Rob McDonald

Wow, the thrill of getting a company car has come way down since Charles' time. I love that detailed view of the XP-300 "discharge"!

My favourite Buick show car is the 1956 Centurion. Not only did it lead directly into the styling of the senior series Buicks for '57, they appear to have recycled it as inspiration for the '71 Riviera.

post-59990-143139253471_thumb.jpg

Edited by Rob McDonald
wandering off-topic, as usual (see edit history)

Wow, the thrill of getting a company car has come way down since Charles' time. I love that detailed view of the XP-300 "discharge"!

My favourite Buick show car is the 1956 Centurion. Not only did it lead directly into the styling of the senior series Buicks for '57, they appear to have recycled it as inspiration for the '71 Riviera.

Rob:

Your right about company cars. Mine is now a Toyota Corolla; and I hate the thing.

Your also correct IMO on the styling cue of Centurion influencing the 1971 Riv. I had not noticed it till now.

There was an automatic convertible top rain sensor switch in the console of the XP-300. GM Engineer Nelson Kunz told me he sneezed on the sensor once and the top started to go up. Nelson had fuel delivery at the time and Charlie drove the heck out of that car and would always be asking Nelson to make sure it was running right or give him some assignment to try out. Nelson showed the 'sneeze issue' to the interior engineer who had the switch. The interior guy proudly nodded how well the sentsitivity of the switch worked. Nelson told him, if that top starts to go up at 80 MPH, he'd be looking for a new job. The guy had never thought of that. He re-wired the sensor such that the top could not be operated in gear.

I can still remember pointing to the row of cars in what would have been the early '80s and asking 'you drove all of these?' And Nelson replied, 'everyone of them, flat out, as hard as we could. You didn't want the boss finding something you had missed, and may the Good Lord help you if they brought it in on the hook and it was your part that broke.'

• Thanks 1

Sharon and I stopped at the Sloan museum sometime in the early 2000's. If I recall correct, the museum is across the lot or street from the Buick Heritage building, at that time I don't believe Heritage had been open that long. Did I read that it has since closed?

We went in the Heritage building first, the XP-300 was on the floor and we were able to walk up to and around it. The feature that always stuck out in my mind was the CONCAVE grill, I always loved that design,and STILL DO.

Next we went over to the Sloan museum, we were able to park close to the front walk, and someone inside spotted our Limited, soon the manager approached us to discuss it. Seems they had a 41 Limited ready to be restored in the basement. After some discussion he offered to take Sharon and I on a private tour of the basement to see lots of other cars and toys. We had a great tour, and will always be grateful for the experience.

I have to laugh, at the time I was concerned about telling them that our Limited was riding on all late 90's Vette suspension, and a new 96 LT-1 Vette crate engine, and the conversation did lead to what mods I had given the car. I didn't have to tell them, (you see it rides on Vette 17" rims), so such is a give-a-way. The manager was very nice, and understood the WHY'S of my modifying our Limited.

That was a great trip, we LOVE Michigan, our son was born there, and my wife is from the upper part, IRON MOUNTAIN.

Dale in Indy

Note that the hardtop Wildcat features "Roadmaster" lettering on the rear deck, right behind the pass compartment.

Roto-Stat wheels are/were a really cool feature, tho the rims behind the covers were solid discs, ie; not much of the breeze hit the brakes.

Hardtop's whereabouts / fate are unknown from everything I've seen.

Guest Rob McDonald

DAVE, I bet the coupe and the roadster are the same car. Suppose they built the coupe first, showed it a bit, and photographed the heck out of it. Then, maybe they sent it back to the shop, threw away the very attractive hardtop, and installed new rear quarters, along with those non-spinner wheel scoops. I don’t know if any photos of the front of the coupe have showed up but I think the stylists would have played around with that, too.

They’d have got the effect of two show cars for the price of one - and a bit. It wouldn’t surprise me if this car’s restorers found another light colour under the white paint. A soft yellow or pale blue would appear the same in these B&W photos but it would have supported the illusion that there were two different cars.

I suggest the Wildcat survived as a roadster, only because that was the second version. Remember, a lot of these dream boats were squashed after they’d served their marketing purpose. GM Styling would not have been precious about saving the unique features of the first edition of this car, if that’s how it happened.

Guest David_Temple
DAVE, I bet the coupe and the roadster are the same car. Suppose they built the coupe first, showed it a bit, and photographed the heck out of it. Then, maybe they sent it back to the shop, threw away the very attractive hardtop, and installed new rear quarters, along with those non-spinner wheel scoops. I don’t know if any photos of the front of the coupe have showed up but I think the stylists would have played around with that, too.

The hardtop car is NOT the same car that Joe Bortz now owns. I have dated photographs/information to disprove that theory. My book, "GM's Motorama," (now out of print) details the possibilities as they seemed to be around 2005/2006 when I was writing this book. However, newly found photos and information have led me to strongly suspect four of these cars were built with the hardtop car possibly being the last of the four. I do not believe it was really on the show circuit but it did appear at the Grosse Pointe Yacht Club in Sept. 1953, a stop of that year's Glidden Tour. It was also used in the Oil Progress Motorcade in Oklahoma City the following October along with the second of four Cadillac LeMans' show cars, a 1953 Oldsmobile Starfire, a 1953 Eldorado, a Kaiser Darrin, and a Packard show car. A photo from that event appears in my book. The hardtop car may have even been shown at some dealerships, but as far as major auto shows I believe the other Wildcats were used. The first of the '53 Wildcats was shown at the Waldorf Astoria, the first venue for that year's GM Motorama. It does not appear to have been shown again. Perhaps it was repainted. There may have been only three, but think four is more likely. I have a few photos that would really surprise some people but am saving those for a second edition of "GM's Motorama" assuming there is a publisher out there willing to publish it. So far no luck on that.

Edited by David_Temple
correction (see edit history)

Guest Rob McDonald

DAVID, thank you for countering my half-baked conjecture with solid information. I'd hate to start a rumour without knowing anything about the subject. Good luck on getting your next book into print.

The XP-300 also had a hardtop, but it was a removable one.

I recently came across a copy of the April 2010 issue of Collectible Automobile. There is an excellent 20 page write up on the XP-300 and Charles A. Chayne the head of GM engineering and whose personal car was the XP-300. According to the article, the removable hardtop is still intact and in storage today. My guess at the Sloan Museum where the XP-300 is on display.

post-58764-143139260593_thumb.jpg

www.sloanlongway.org

Guest David_Temple
David.

Thank you for providing this information. Great insight and I wish you could post at least one photo. Hope the second book works out for you. How do I find your first one? I'd love to have one.

Please one picture......please. You have us intrigued.

"GM's Motorama: The Glamorous Show Cars of a Cultural Phenomenon" can still be found through book sellers affiliated with Amazon.com. So, just type "GM's Motorama" in the search box under books on Amazon.com and you will find a listing of available copies. Unfortunately, I no longer have any copies available to sell.