'48 Lincoln with a V8??

CT Car Guy

I am looking at a 1948 Lincoln Continential 2 door sedan that has been in the same family since new. To my surprise, it had a Mercury V8 engine. From what I know, the V8 came out later. Looking at the home made fan shroud lead me to assume the V12 was removed and a V8 installed. Was this common and if so why. I am thinking of buying this car IF I could find a correct V12 to put in it. Is that possible? Also, what is it like to find parts for this car. It does not seem to need anything but paint, especially on the top where it is peeling. Thanks in advance for the help.Larrypost-53830-143139082638_thumb.jpg

post-53830-143139082648_thumb.jpg

post-53830-143139082655_thumb.jpg

post-53830-143139082661_thumb.jpg

Larry It was standard to replace the V 12 with the V 8. It bolts up to the transmission and the Ford mounts fit to the frame. The V 8 was easieer to get serviced than the V 12. I have bought and sold several over the years and one day out of the year (National LCOC meet) it was fine. I have a 1942 with the Mercury V 8 in it I started to take it out but decided to get it going and use it as I'm building a driver..I have found a 1942 V12 but is so expensive to get all the parts to restore the V 12 that we are going to use the eight and have fun.

There are several V 12's available all different prices The LZOC has one for $22,000. It has quite a pedigree of building it up.

I noticed that your radiator hoses run straight back. Mine go over to the fender and then back so that the fans sets in front of the generator. Are you running a fan?

I originally lived in Ohio back inthe 60"s moving to Florida in 1987.

That is a GOOD LOOKING CAR i WISH MINE WAS THAt good. Someday I keep working it

Guest B1rdman

Drive it a V-12 would be costly to rebuild.

i have a V-12 but it would cost a ton to rebuild it.

gene

Larry, I have an already prepared v12 block, crank, flywheel , timing gear. cleaned, rebored, refinished. I have the bearings and pistons, rods, refinished oil pan. You will need: cam shaft, distributer, heads ,intake manifold, lifters, valves, water pumps,etc.( basicly a short block plus pan.) If you are interested please contact me. I had a grandiose plan to redo the engine in my 48 LC but age and arthritis has altered my thinking. Glenn Lorei b6vt

Edited by b6vt
for got about item missing (see edit history)

my 42 coupe has a 1942 Ford V-8 that I have been working on getting it running. It was stored for 45 years and it has been a real challenge. I bought a 42 V- 12 but THE COST OF ALL THE PARTS TO GET IT GOING i DECIDED TO STArt up the V-8 and enjoy driving. I have changed several back to V-12 but keeping them running and getting them worked on today is something else I was in the original only mode back in 1959 to 70 and had a senior 42 Coupe in 63-65 LCOC it waS A LOT OF FUN Now I want to enjoy just having fun. Lee

• 2 months later...
Guest fastvette

I wanted better dependability from my '48 V12. Had two estimates for a re-build this week. They both came in at $10K-$15K with the ususal escape "provided we don't run into anything". The price of a rebuild is obscene. I just use her for local shows and even though she burns some oil I'll run her until she drops and then put in a V8.