Evapo-Rust

29 Chandler

Does anyone have experience using Evapo-Rust? There is a great article in the current edition of Skinned Knuckles, by Matt Joseph. It sounds like a great, enviromentally safe way to remove rust. I was just wondering if anyone in the Forum has tried it. I plan to use it this weekend. I'll leave my feedback.

wink.gif

Guest COMPACTBC

I have used it on rusty tools & an old license plate and it worked great. It is very slow on heavy rust, it took an over night soaking but did a good job on the rust and did not attack the paint on the license plate. It appears to me that you will have to keep the rusty surface wet with the solution all of the time in order for it to work. cool.gif

I used it on some small nuts, bolts & washers and on a rusty cowl vent opener arm. I just soaked the parts in the stuff over night and rinsed them off with water. The rust came off and I was happy with the results.

Just used Evapo-Rust for the first time. Started with an old rusty rim. After soaking over night it turned out as good as new, with only a little bit of the original black paint left. Then I used it on the 74 year old heater vent that mounts on the floor board. Same results in only a few hours! The only draw back is that the part must be fully covered by the solution. That can be expensive for large parts. I highly recommend it to easily remove rust. And it cleans up verly easily. And no irratation to my hands.

Citric acid (citronsyra in swedish) is sold by www.rostlosningen.com. Their site is in Swedish, unfortunately. I will try to find another site in English. The cost is $7 a kg (= 2.2 lb). You mix it with water. Citric acid is the acid you find in lemon. It is used among other thing in making jam and juice so you can probably find it in food stores, but to a much higher price. It is used by many restorers in Sweden.

This Evapo-rust sounds a lot like the stuff I buy called "Exrust" from Kano Labs, the people who make Kroil penetrating oil. Exrust gets mixed 3 to 1 with water or can be used straight. I have used the exrust with excellent results. Here is the website for anyone who is interested:

http://www.kanolabs.com/