1941 Windsor deteriorating original upholstery.

Guest jasndal

My car has the original, factory upholstery, which is beginning to develop splits at stress points on the front seat cushion. The car is not show quality, but is a really nice driver quality. The fabric is not flawless, but is too good to reupholster and I can't afford reupholster it. I have thought about putting clear plastic seat covers on it, so that the upholstery is visible. I have read comments on blogs about how hot that is to sit on. Especially with the Summer heat in Dallas, I am hesitant, but want to stop the deterioration. Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions. Any suggestions about where to try to source them, as opposed to my having custom ones fitted?

I would use cloth seat covers. More comfortable and will preserve what life your upholstery has left. If you can't find good seat covers they aren't hard to make if you know someone who can sew. Some kind of plaid material with vinyl at the top and at the front of the seat was often seen on those cars when they were new. In fact Chrysler offered a plaid upholstery option called the "Highlander". Here are some photos.

http://forums.aaca.org/f145/1947-chrysler-windsor-highlander-334589.html

• 3 weeks later...

Do any of you know where one can GET those plaid seat covers for a reasonable price? I'd thought about putting the clear plastic covers on my '50 Windsor, but can't find them ANYWHERE. Even cloth or vinyl ones seem to run north of $400.00

• 2 weeks later...

I paid in the region of $30 for a syntetic picnic carpet in plaid pattern (back in 95) from a interior chain store in Denmark (Jydsk for those in the regional know) and put it over the front (and only) seat of my 40 CNY Business Coupe. Guess a similar carpet in quality wool would be $100-150? On the enclosed pic it has slided down, but would otherwise cover the entire seat.

post-59101-143139242773_thumb.jpg