how much is my 65' buick skylark convertible worth

pherball

hello all,

i am preparing to sell my skylark soon, and am in need of advice. To begin i would like to know how much this car is worth, here are the basic details. it is a skylark converitble. it it currently in good mechanical condition, the engine has perfect compression, the following was done less than 4k miles ago. new edelbrock 4bl. carb. (not sure the cfm. size, but it is good size), flowmaster duel exhaust, rebuilt radiator, water pump, thermostat, new spark plugs/wires, new air filter, new oil pump. suspension: rebuilt front end including tie rod, springs and shocks and all the bushings (all oem spec.) new rear springs and shocks as well, new tires. Rear wheels are grand sport wheels (not sure of size). oh yeah, the engine is the 300 cubic inch v8, transmission is powerglide two speed, works great no problems, brakes have new pads and new master cylinder. Cosmetic: interior was reupulstored with white anogihide? vinyl(don't know how to speel that) about ten years ago, and still looks perfect, black dash and carpet, bucket seates, orgiginal steering wheel(a little rusted and a little crack as well, horn works intermittenly. The top needs replacement, still looks ok and goes up and down automatically, but the rear window is torn. It has a glass rear window, and the top is white, not factory, it was replaced in the 80's. The body has no rust and very minimil dings and dents if any, nothing major, the major thing is it does need a paint job, it was repainted in the 80's or late 70's sky blue, but their is some primer on the driver side fender. So basically everything is mechanically sound, odometer reads 176,000, but the engine was very well maintaned over the years and has been thoroughly gone through less than 4k miles ago. my dad rebuilt the bottom end at around 100k decades ago, when he worked at a service station. HE took great care of it and that is the reason why the engine runs so strong. compression is perfect, also iginition points are fairly new as well, and timing has been set to factory settings. The car is owned by my dad, he is the second owner and has been in the family since 1967 or so, it has been garaged the past 25 years. Wasn't driven daily again until i drove it in high school for two years in 200-01 which is when all the above work was done by myself personally, never had any issues with it when it was being driven. Now we are looking to sell, because we don't have the time or will to do the full restoration we once hoped. The only mechanical issues are minor, the transmission bearing has a minor leak which isn't bad when being driven regularly, and also it leaks a little oil, the gaskets are probably in need of replacement at some point, but these are very minor, and it was daily driven for two years with no issues. so that's all i can think of right now, tell me how much you guys might think i can get for it. also any other advice in selling it would be appreciated, the car is in los angeles area by the way if anyone is interested. If anyone has any advice on where to list it that would also be appreciated, thanks.

Good question and there are a lot of ranges on this car. The glass back window is the first year for glass back windows on converts and the tranny is not a powerglide, it is a 2 speed switchpitch. If you list as a powerglide you are devaluing the car. Just a couple of thoughts.

Guest JDHolmes

Note, this is my opinion based on your description and Collector Car and Truck Market and Mannheim pricing. This may or may not represent an actual value for your car, but when someone asks this question, I respond because I'm always a buyer and I respond what I'd pay for the car which, in the end, is the real value of the car...what someone is willing to pay for it. Collector lists it at $5375 for #3 condition and Manheim lists at $5100 for fair condition. Due to the need of replacement parts you mentioned, that's what I'd class it as. You might get more if you have all matching numbers. However, the modifications from original may also hurt the value (white naugahyde with black interior, non-original top).

Anyway, I hope that helps in some way. My figures are generally lower than others but I try and be realistic. Good luck

i appreciate your measured response, and you are right in your assessment about what a car is ultimately worth. it is interesting you mention the alterations to the interior and top, because it was my dad who always was concerned with hurting the value by changing original specs, and it was this harping that prevented me from making further performance alterations to the engine aside from the carb and exhaust, but ironically from what your saying it looks as though the top and interior, which he was responsible for, will do more damage to the antique value of it. hopefully we can find a less scrutinizing buyer, perhaps in the $6k to 7k range, i know my dad at least harbours that ambition, as he would likely hope to get some monetary satisfaction for putting up with my mom's disaproval of the car taking up our garage space all these years, anyhow thanks again for the responses, and if anyone could lend advice on good places to place classified ads that would also be helpful.

Guest JDHolmes

I'm sure you can find someone who will pay $6-7 for the car. Convertibles are the most valuable of cars. The "negatives" (which really aren't) are more personal that public. I'm not a skylark afficianado as some are here. I just feel that mods away from original hurt the value for anyone trying to take it back to original (as I usually do). Others will want to rod it/modify it.