YOMs threatened in CT (fwd from 4Cs)

stock_steve

FYI - Below is the text of a broadcast email dated 1:04pm today (2/19/2012) received from a representative of the CT Council of Car Clubs, 'DABajumpaa," at return email address: DABajumpaa@aol.com. There was also a .pdf document attached to this email, with the title: "2012HB-05164-R00-HB_Year_of_Manufacture_Plate_Elimination.pdf" although I am not aware of how it might be able to be attached here...

-----

-----Original Message-----

To: dabajumpaa <dabajumpaa@aol.com>

Sent: Sun, Feb 19, 2012 1:04 pm

Subject: 4C's 2012 Legislative Alert - HB 5164 Eliminating Year of Manufacture Plates

<<< This E-mail previous sent without a subject line a couple of minutes ago... No other changes. Sorry about cluttering you E-mail In-box. Feel free to delete the other one. >>>

Fellow CT Council of Car Clubs Members:

House Bill 5164 was introduced in the Connecticut 2012 Legislative Session last Thursday February 16th. The bill, among other things, proposes to eliminate the use of year of manufacture plates on antique vehicles.

Attached is House Bill 5164, "An Act Concerning Revisions to Motor Vehicle Laws." It is a .pdf file. The proposal to eliminate year of manufacture plates starts on page 2 (Section 2 - which proposes to revise Section 14-20 of the General Statutes). When reading this, note that text enclosed in brackets [ ] is being deleted. Underlined text is being added to the statute. If the text is neither contained in brackets or underlined, it is the current statute text that is not being changed.

In 2000, thanks primarily to the efforts of Charlie Gunn and others, the Connecticut Council of Car Clubs (4C's) were able to get the state statute changed to allow antique vehicles to use year of manufacture plates instead of the black and white early American plates. (That change was part Section 21 of Public Act 00-169.)

The Transportation Committee Public Hearing for House Bill 5164 will be next Wednesday, February 22, 2012 at 11:00 am in Room 2E of the Legislative Office Building. I am planning on providing both oral and written testimony against this part of House Bill 5164 on behalf of the 4C's. Others that feel strongly about this issue are welcome to participate in the public hearing. As an alternative to participating in the public hearing, hobbyists can contact their legislator (particularly if they are members of the transportation committee) to indicate that they are opposed to the portion of House Bill 5164 which proposes to eliminate the use of year of manufacture plates. (If the elimination continues to appear in the follow on versions of the bill after this committee hearing, we will be asking you to contact your legislators again.)

My approach at the public hearing will be to identify that we were behind the introduction of year of manufacture plates in 2000, and are not aware of the reason that their elimination has been introduced. We would ask that this proposed elimination be taken off the table for 2012 Legislative Session to give us an opportunity to work with DMV to understand the issues, and see if an alternative to elimination of the use of year of manufacture plates is possible. I also will note that year of manufacture plates are used in many other states.

I will follow up will an E-mail after the public hearing.

Dave Bajumpaa

Connecticut Council of Car Clubs

-----

Contact Mr. Bajumpa or the CT Council of Car Clubs (http://www.ctccc.net/) for more info.

Edited by stock_steve (see edit history)

Here's the latest update, received yesterday evening, from the CT Council of Car Clubs rep who is monitoring the issue closely:

-----

-----Original Message-----

To: dabajumpaa <dabajumpaa@aol.com>

Sent: Wed, Feb 22, 2012 6:19 pm

Subject: 4C's Legislative Update: Proposed HB5164 Eliminating Year of Manufacture Plates

4C's Individual Members:

At today's Transportation Committee Public Hearing, I provided oral, and submitted written testimony, on behalf of the 4C's in opposition to the portion of House Bill (HB) 5164 that proposes to eliminate the use of Year of Manufacture Plates. 4C's members Paul Pellerin and Seymour Bradley joined me at the public hearing and provided support.

I believe my testimony was well received.

Prior to the hearing, I approached DMV Commissioner Currey and provided her my contact information, and indicated that we want to work with DMV to understand the issues and see if an alternative to elimination of the plates is possible.

Commissioner Currey spoke first at the public hearing. In response to a question from Representative Steinberg (136th), the Commissioner indicated her willingness to work with the 4C's on this issue. However, she indicated she wanted the bill to proceed forward.

After my oral testimony, the Co-Chair of the Transportation Committee, Representative Guerrera, indicated his assistant would contact me to set up a meeting on this issue to see how to fix this. That is very good news.

We plan to meet with Representative Guerrera and see if we can get this portion of the bill eliminated before the bill gets reported out of the Transportation Committee.

At this point, the 4C's is recommending hobbyists not to take any action until we see how the meeting with Representative Guerrera turns out.

In other words, stay tuned... More to follow...

I will send out future status E-mails to inform you of our progress on this issue.

Dave Bajumpaa

Connecticut Council of Car Clubs

Edited by stock_steve (see edit history)