All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Gary, You are doing an awesome job. Everything looks perfect.
  3. I drove by Karr Rubber on Saturday. Furniture, fixtures, file cabinets, manufacturing area looked the same as I first posted. No auction tags or "sold to" signs on anything.
  4. Wanted rear wooden spoke wheel 1929 130 Sedan

Ill send you pics Mike:-)
  5. Straight 8 top speed

If the belt slipped, would it slow the pump, thus NOT keeping up? High speed/rpm would cause more engine heat, thus it's possible the pump wouldn't keep up, MAYBE. With all this said, I'M NOT THE EXPERT. Dale in Indy
  6. 1941 Limited Limousine

You know how sometimes the hard jobs turn out easy and the easy jobs are enough to kill you? Today I had that. Installing that battery bracket should have been a 10-minute job. It wasn't. I painted the bracket yesterday so it was ready. I degreased it but didn't make it perfect since I figured it would stand out in the imperfect engine bay, so I think the final result has a pretty consistent look. Then I pulled the battery and found evidence of leakage in the past--some surface rust and a lot of efflourescent dust, so I cleaned all that up. In hopes of preventing it in the future, I cut a rubber mat and put it on the tray under the battery, then reinstalled the battery. I went to the parts store and bought some J-hooks for the hold down but found that the 'J' part was too wide to fit the original tray's openings. Rather than drilling holes in the car, I modified the J-hooks (modified on top, original on the bottom): The problem is, the modified J-hook shortened the overall length by just enough that there were only one or two threads showing above the hold-down bracket. Lots of tweaking, some thinner washers, and finally I managed to get the wing nuts to grab and tightened everything into place: Not such a huge difference, but at least the battery won't move around. Engine bay looks decent although this particular task made no real difference in the way things look. Barney, here are some photos of the interior. I believe the rear seat area is original with replacement carpets, while the front seat area has been restored at some point. The color combination is the same as the catalog, blue with gray. I've discovered that sitting on a small cushion that raises me up a bit makes driving it a lot easier. The seat isn't very adjustable and it's rather close to the steering wheel, but by elevating myself on a black leather cushion that's about 4-inches tall, it gives me not only a better view (the lower cushion is pretty low) but more legroom and easier access to the pedals, particularly the clutch. It looks silly when you look in and see the driver sitting on a booster cushion, but it's actually far more comfortable and easier to drive that way. At some point, I may actually have the lower seat cushion reworked to be about four inches taller and see how that works. For now, though, it's a nice place to spend some time, both as driver and passenger. My wife, Melanie, refuses to ride up front, she likes the back seat much better--who can blame her? So hopefully my rear bearing caps will be ready this week and I can drive it again. I sure miss it...
  7. Chevy 1984 K5 Blazer Siverado

Good point......Thanks John, and the best part is free shipping and delivery will be across the Road from my Garage to his.
  8. Today
  9. SAFTEY OF MODERN GAS STATION LIFTS AND JACKING POINTS

Anywhere on the frame should be sufficient. It's more than strong enough to handle being lifted. Just be sure it's on the major sections of the frame itself, not the running boards or body mounts. It'll be pretty hard for him to screw it up if he looks under the car. Uni-body cars are much more challenging to find a solid place for lifting.
  10. I wanted to inquire about the proper jacking points under the 1940 special and also if it is safe to put the car on a modern lift as I will need to bring the car in for a safety inspection at some point when these were made garages usually had pits or the type of lift that the car rolled on that rose them up from the wheels modern lifts have 4 movable arms the service man puts into positions under the car he feels is good given most service men have never lifted one of these cars I want to make sure it is safe and the car wont break and what would be the proper places for him to put the 4 arms of the lift
  11. Need help identifying Grandpa's car

The first Plymouths in 1928 were called the Q and the 1929 the U, and the 1930 the 30-U - no I don't know why - but the 1931 was the PA, the '32 the PB, the first '33s the PC but the cars looked too short so were redesigned mid season and became the PD, so for the 1934 cars PE came next. Low price PF and PG models also appeared in '34. For 1935 there was the PJ in three different versions and in 1936 the system changed again to numbers. 1936 P1 and low price P2 and so on.
  12. Chevy 1984 K5 Blazer Siverado

Ebay's "Buy it Now" prices are only prices being asked. I can't speak specifically to the value of your seat, but asking prices can sometimes be far afield from actual selling prices. I think you did the right thing by giving the seat to your buyer.
  13. I drove the car the last few days up and down the driveway and seems to be ok Hand brake freed up during test which I was happy about but need to adjust gears and clutch seemed good and foot brakes as well as the hand brake stopped the car car needs to be driven on the road for a proper test as I have a short driveway so was moving quite slowly will try to get exhaust system soon as well as tires so I can finish it up and make the car my daily driver
  14. New AACA LIbrary?

Right now it is a huge data processing building unique for the utilities use. So, yes there will be remodeling necessary. We have had engineers and office building experts already in to do an inspection for our use. The team making this acquisition have spent a lot of time assessing the buildings capabilities and along with staff members we feel confident this building meets our needs. We are well aware of the weight loads. Over the next few months we have the rights to further inspect the grounds, building, etc. and there will be professionals making those final assessments before we close on the property.
  15. Xclnt! Thank you Gary. So my memory is mostly sound on this one. That is fairly encouraging.
  16. I own a 1941 Buick Roadmaster Touring Sedan (model 71). I often refer to it as "The Beast". I will be bringing a few parts from that car: pair of rear shocks (I put NOS ones on the car after removing these) that would need a rebuild, master cylinder (it leaks but appears to have free movement ... requires rebuild), and whatever else I can find that I will not use. I also have a radiator fan but I think it is for the Special series, not Roadmaster. Finally I make a CD of files and documents relating to the 1941 Buick.
  17. New AACA LIbrary?

Does the building's interior need to be modified for our club's needs? Rearrange offices, create a large antique-car display room, etc.? The library stacks, and especially the high-density storage units, have weights greater than normal office use, so the floor may need to be strengthened if storage is somewhere other than the lowest level.
  18. Airbag unplug

Be careful!
  19. Local artist in Michigan

The painting of the car is superb! I'd much rather see a more attractive background, however. But if you commission him to paint your car, you could undoubtedly get a nicer background.
  20. For future reference, there is also solder wick, which is an inexpensive option. It looks a bit like a miniature copper ground strap.
  21. 1941 buick roadmaster back seat ashtray

I'm helping a elderly friend liquidate his collection and was hoping for some guidelines before i listed it for him. thanks!
  22. Yes, you need both the lower and upper parts, plus the interior steel tube in order for the vibration isolator to work correctly. There should be a shallow cup on one of the crossmember or engine mount surfaces - the big donut goes in there with the steel ring centered by the cup. The steel tube slides down the middle and the small donut goes on the opposite side of the engine mount. There are usually large washers that go against the rubber surfaces before the nut goes on. Tighten it down a little but don't squish the assembly flat - the rubber wants to be able to move. Don't forget the cotter pin. Those isolators were invented by Kurt Saurer, who worked for Firestone for may years, amassing more than 50 patents. He was a Swiss guy whose family had the Saurer truck business that later merged with Mack. Studebaker used the same rubber isolator in the pickup trucks using the 245 engine right up until 1960. In some Studebaker vehicles, the positions of the parts were reversed, but the principle is the same. The two rubber parts function to absorb vibration going up or down and the inner steel tube acts as damper. engine mount patent US1977896.pdf
  23. 1941 buick roadmaster back seat ashtray

Valuation? $5? $50? Really impossible to say. That's an item that's perfect for eBay. If someone needs it, they will pay for it. If nobody needs it it is worth 0. If you need one pay what it takes to get it based on how badly you need it. Can you give us some context?
  24. Offering a unique Morgan car art poster. This poster is an older piece circa approximately the 1980s or early 1990s. Beautiful piece for any British car enthusiast! Measures 19" by 27". Good condition for its age with some light corner and edge wear. Asking $60 usd including shipping to anywhere in North America.
  25. From memory (25+ years ago) the mounts shown in left hand photo go on top, in the cup. That shown in the RH photo goes underneath. The smaller diameter part seats in the hole in the cross member. I seem to remember the other side has a steel washer vulcanised into it; this is to seat the washer and nut. Tightening torque: no spec.. 1939 shop manual says on p. 26 (you need this for the 1940 coz that one is a supplement of it) "A spacer is incorporated in the mounting which allows the hold down bolt to be tightened only to a predetermined point, thus maintaining proper tension on the rubber cushions." i.e. a little crush on it is all that is required. Maybe there is also a steel sleeve inside the lower cushion to limit compression. By the way, the same system was used on Land Rovers at one stage. I have such dough-nuts in mine (i.e. pre-'90s Rovers). I don't think fh4ever's is set up correctly. The parts above the castellated nuts should be up the other way, inside the cups sitting on the cross member.
  26. 1957 Paint code 4BX145 - what does it mean?

I agree with Al. This is exactly how it worked later when Buick switched to the SCO-### notation. SCO indicated it was a special order and ### indicates the order number. If a car was SCO for paint, the actual paint color was usually listed on the build sheet. I've even seen one build sheet with a note that said to include an extra quart of paint in the trunk for touch-ups. I've also seen one car that was SCO in the trim code for bucket seats in a convertible that had SCO-### printed on the window sticker and the same SCO-### stamped on the cowl tag in place of the trim code. So BX-### and SCO-### only indicate that it was a special order and the order number, you would need some other paperwork to figure out exactly what the original paint color was for any car with special order paint.
  1. Load more activity