Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nash Met Taxi - Anyone get the story?

Nash Met Taxi - Anyone get the story?

Seriously, were any Mets ever used as taxis? Did anyone get the owner's story behind this "cutie"? I see it was awarded a 1st Junior.

Re: Nash Met Taxi - Anyone get the story?

Resto was done by Metropolitan Restoration Service. I think they are located in PA. Had a chance to speak with them this year after looking at the taxi in their spots. Younger guys who do incredible work. They specialize in metros and sell parts for them but said they work on other make/models. Their work speaks for itself

Thanks for the compliment. The car was built for a good customer we met at hershey 3 years ago. We bought the car just after hershey last year and finished the restoration two weeks before hershey.

Great little car.

I understand this car is a Taxi, but the Nash in Class 04-B (aka the "Small Car Class" ) seemed lonely by itself.
    With the dwindling number of Volkswagens at Fall Hershey in Class 04-B, it could always use another entry.
    Charlie

Here is the photobucket link to the restoration photos.

Macmillan Taxi Metro pictures by jonpreeder - Photobucket

And more on our Facebook page

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Metrop...68659756478438
    Last edited by jreeder41; October 16th, 2012 at 17:32.

Their were 2 Mets in 04B A yellow & white 57 and my black & white 61. we wonder why they made a small car class for the Metros and Vw's.

Ron Mann
    Historian and Archivist for The Pennsylvania Hill Climb Association (read about it in Oct. 2011 issue of Hemmings)
    1965 SCCA/PHA prepared Notchback, 1966 Kombi, 1968 Beetle, 1969 Kombi, 1970 Squareback, 1971 Fastback, 1972 Subaru GL "The Superoo", 1973 Thing, 1976 Puch Newport, 1977 Puch Maxi, 1983 Rabbit LS, 1986 Cabriolet, 1987 Viper "A" Sports Racer, 1996 Harlequin Golf

Quote Originally Posted by jreeder41 View Post
    Thanks for the compliment. The car was built for a good customer we met at hershey 3 years ago. We bought the car just after hershey last year and finished the restoration two weeks before hershey.
    Thanks are on this side of the table. It was great to see the younger guys making a living at it and keeping the hobby living on.

So was the Met originally a taxi? I know they had small ones:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3549106778_a722ca2c1a.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	142.2 KB 
ID:	158584
    Hanomag Komisbrot Taxi

Phil

Images

GREAT CAR! A ton of fun to look at, and a superb resto!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hershey12MetTaxiForForumsR.JPG 
Views:	273 
Size:	590.9 KB 
ID:	158701

But how did you manage to avoid the *dreaded* class 04B?

When I registered our 1954 VW for this year's show (we ended up not bringing it since we brought another car and our car trailer only fits one car), I specifically put down class 27A on the form, but when we picked up our packets in the Chocolate Field the day before the show, we found that the VW had been assigned to 04B!

I thought we would be able to choose to continue in the "original AACA class" in which we had *always* participated--which for us, with our '54 VW, was 27A!

What's your secret?!
    Last edited by stock_steve; October 17th, 2012 at 13:15.
    Stock Steve
    Antique VW Driver/Antique Auto Enthusiast
    AACA Member No. 596580J
    Late-model Buick driver too! BCA Member No. 47004
    -----
    Shoreline Antique Auto Connection -
    http://home.comcast.net/~shorelinesteve/SAACMainPage.html
    -----
    Ich Bin Ein Facebooker: https://www.facebook.com/steve.fromsaac
    -----
    "Vintage Details" - Old School metal tire valve stem caps for sale:
    http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifie...php?id=1416217
    -----
    Thanks Veterans.

The car was registered in class 37b….for professional vehicles 1943-1987. Listed as a Nash…it may not have known that it was a Met, until the day of the show??
    I guess the question goes back to the first post: "Were any Mets ever used as taxis"? Or, was the car just done up to look like one, for fun? If they were used at Taxis…then why couldn't it stay in 37b? If they weren't…then I guess it should be in 04b (which in turn would bring up the "presented from the factory" discussion)
    Like the Crosley truck in the "moved to 04b thread" this is just another example on why 04b is a flawed concept. (please, please put it back to the way it was!)
    "Production vehicles built with a small frame
    and small engine: named vehicles only. The
    vehicles can attract a large audience due to
    their miniature size; placing them in other
    classes can cause them to be hidden from
    view. This class is still being developed and it is
    recognized that there are vehicles that can and
    will be added to the list of those named with the
    approval of the VP-Class Judging."
    American Austin
    American Bantam
    Austin Cooper
    Autobianchi
    Bantam
    BMW Isetta
    Citroen 2CV
    Crofton
    Crosley
    DKW
    Honda S500/S600
    Isetta
    Iso Isetta
    King Midget
    Metropolitan
    Nash Metropolitan
    Morris Mini Cooper
    Morris Minor
    Peel
    Playboy
    Renault Caravelle
    Subaru 360
    Vespa 400
    Velorex
    Volkswagen
    Ron Mann
    Historian and Archivist for The Pennsylvania Hill Climb Association (read about it in Oct. 2011 issue of Hemmings)
    1965 SCCA/PHA prepared Notchback, 1966 Kombi, 1968 Beetle, 1969 Kombi, 1970 Squareback, 1971 Fastback, 1972 Subaru GL "The Superoo", 1973 Thing, 1976 Puch Newport, 1977 Puch Maxi, 1983 Rabbit LS, 1986 Cabriolet, 1987 Viper "A" Sports Racer, 1996 Harlequin Golf

We felt since it was a professional car it was in the correct class. The owner simply registered it in class 37b.

Images

re: placing them in other classes can cause them to be hidden from view.

Thats funny right there. These 04B cars might as well have been parked behind the DPC cars in the woods. I didn't register my Met for the show because I had to leave early on Saturday, but I had far more people look at it where it was parked in the flea market than would have seen it at the show in class 04B.

Bill

Right, Stonefish. My original post raised the question of authenticity for a Metropolitan Taxi. There is no denying this Met was beautifully restored, and a crowd-pleaser! Is there any documentation of Mets being used as taxis, or was it done for fun? If done for fun, how does this vehicle fit into the AACA philosophy of authenticity judging?

Images

I have no idea if any taxi company every used Metropolitans. In my opinion, I would say that basically any car could have been used by an independent cab company, so in that regard it could have been adapted for use as a cab when new, so it is as fair for AACA judging as any other vehicle. With the exception of Checker, has there ever been a cab that came from the factory as a cab?

The judging guidelines notes for the Professional Vehicle Class indicates: "Professional vehicles shall include all ambulances, funeral vehicles, taxis, police cars and other 4-wheel automobile based professional vehicles." I would say that the Metropolitan appears to meet the requirement for the class.
    Matthew C. Hinson
    1954 Buick Special, 1984 Buick Riviera, 1989 Buick Park Avenue
    AACA Life Member, MAFCA, BCA

So...the Professional Vehicle Class "trumps" the 04b class? Here is where things get fuzzy and why 04b's existence makes no sense....
    If 04b is to capture ALL small cars (listed) so that they are "not hidden from view"…why can some folks select to enter their car into other classes?
    Matt…using your "it fits the requirements for the class" argument…. Why couldn't Stock-Steve select 27a to show his 1954 VW? It "fits" the requirement of the class, right?
    You have the Met in the Professional class…you had a Crosley truck in with the trucks…yet 04b was created so these "small cars" would not get hidden??? I don't get it?
    So…could a Karman Ghia be shown with the sports cars? I suspect a VW double or single cab would be allowed to show with the trucks? Talk about painting yourself into a corner.
    Again…by no means here to discredit the Met…car is great!
    Ron Mann

Images

Quote Originally Posted by lovesolderplymouths View Post
    Is there any documentation of Mets being used as taxis, or was it done for fun?
    According to Patrick Foster, the author of The Metropolitan Story, Mets were used as Police vehicles, Fire Chief vehicles Radio Stations and postal workers with some delivery companies mentioned, but no mention of a taxi cab. Although the model company, Highway 61 claims that New York used them to carry single passengers short distances. If you think about it, there was no outside trunk access for luggage until 1959.
    Bob
    1962 Buick Invicta Convertible
    1954 Metropolitan Convertible
    1957 Metropolitan Coupe
    1960 Metropolitan Coupe (Gold National Winner) 399 1/2 points out of 400
    2000 Buick Century
    2000 Dodge Ram 1500

MOCNA/Yankee Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Skyking View Post
    According to Patrick Foster, the author of The Metropolitan Story, Mets were used as Police vehicles, Fire Chief vehicles Radio Stations and postal workers with some delivery companies mentioned, but no mention of a taxi cab. Although the model company, Highway 61 claims that New York used them to carry single passengers short distances. If you think about it, there was no outside trunk access for luggage until 1959.
    I was waiting to see where this thread went to. But yes New York did used them as a taxi for a short period. I know this because my father bought one used from them to promote his taxi business. But mainly used it to drive back and fourth to work. We have photos someplace of it. But i cannot Figure out where i put them. Old age is a bugger.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Stonefish View Post
    So...the Professional Vehicle Class "trumps" the 04b class? Here is where things get fuzzy and why 04b's existence makes no sense....
    Ronn
    I'm sure a car owner has a choice of which class to show, but if he were to show his commercial vehicle in its regular class, he would be docked points for any non-factory-authorized items, such as color, striping, lettering, commercial equipment, wheels, or whatever else may have been added to make it a work vehicle. A Model A owner can get away with painting his sedan delivery a non-factory color with special advertising on its side as long as it's entered in the commercial class. However, if he entered in the stock class, he'd be docked points for the paint and advertising.
    West Peterson, Editor
    Antique Automobile (AACA)
    No man treats a motorcar as foolishly as he treats another human being. When the car will not go, he does not attribute its annoying behavior to sin, he does not say, "You are a wicked motorcar and I shall not give you any more petrol until you go." He attempts to find out what is wrong and set it right. – Bertrand Russel

"Things are more like they are now than they've ever been!" – Uncle Arni

Images

Stonefish,

I don't necessarly disagree with your thoughts about the Small Car Class. My own personal pet peeve is mini-bikes that were never intended to be street legal being shown in AACA meets, but I don't expect to see that changed because there are too many people who want to show them.

I suspect that the owner of the Met in question, simply registered it in the Professional Vehicles Class, and my intrepretation of the Judging Guidelines looks like that class is appropriate for the taxi. I realize you really want to eliminate the Small Car class. Constant complaints on the forum will not achieve the change you want. Getting a majority of those with small vehicles to contact the VP of Class Judging requesting elimination of the class is your best bet. A large letter/email writing campaign will get attention much better than complaints on the discussion forum.
    Matthew C. Hinson

@ West...are you saying an owner could select any class that meet the requirements for or just commercial stuff? Stock-Steve's attempt to enter 27a this year at Hershey was changed to 04b. I'm sure the word Volkswagen on any registration will set the whistle off. I'm also pretty sure, since we all got "the letter"...we're to register in 04b. I would LOVE to go back to my production classes, but I don't think I have a choice!? Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

@Matt... I think it is fine for the Met to be in the class it was shown in at Hershey(I'm not overly concerned about the authenticity of it)...again, just pointing out how lame the definition of 04b really is; "hidden from view"...I just keep picturing the Met in a sea of Checkers! The logic and theory of 04b...that's the problem.
    I sent my letter to the VP of Class Judging...never got a word back. Since then, there is a new one...so maybe I'll try again.
    I'll just keep posting though…too much fun poking holes in good ole 04b!

wow..mini bikes vs street legal...look out race cars!?
    Last edited by Stonefish; October 18th, 2012 at 18:50.
    Ron Mann

I don't have a dog in this fight, but I'll stir the coals anyway. Did anyone see the results inn Class 15? 4-cylinder cars, 1913-1919. Two cars won first junior. One was a 1913 American Underslung, one of the most prestigious cars you can imagine. The other was a Woods Mobilette, a tiny two-seat-tandem cyclecar that the American could just about carry in its toolbox. Both were excellently restored to the standard expected of such a car when it was new - that is, stunning for the American, plane-Jane for the Woods. Both deserved their first prizes. I doubt the American owner was miffed at having to compete with a Woods. I doubt the Woods owner was overawed at having to compete with an American. And both cars attracted a lot of spectators - the Woods didn't get lost and wasn't ignored. I congratulate both owners!

Gil Fitzhugh, Morristown, NJ

Images

In the Professional Car class along with the Metropolitan was a 1974 Cadillac Flower Car and a 1972 Dodge Polara Police Car. It was a very interesting assortment of cars in that class. It would have been more dramatic if the Cadillac and the Metropolitan were side by side, but the Dodge was between them.
    Matthew C. Hinson

Thanks West for that inturpretation. It is the same logic I have assumed all along. It is the reasoning I will use when I finally finish my 48 sedan delivery. I had planned commercial class due to the modifications that have been done to make it suitable for what it was used for. I have been in this debate since the beginning and I have several "dogs in the fight". I like the "new" class 04-b and will start my second car through the judging process this Spring. (if plans stay the same as now). I understand the opposition that Ron has, but I feel a little consistancy, that will come with time, will solve the problem. I think the logic is not what "fits" in the class, but rather what class benifits the owner the most. 04-b, in the long run, will benifit the "small car" owners the most by eventually developing knowledgeable judges in the small car area. I don't want to constatnly argue about the class, and I do NOT want to see it go away. I want to do whatever will help make it better. Understanding, working with judges to make them more knowledgeable, and participation will do that.
    51 Crosley Hotshot
    51 Crosley Supersports
    50 Crosley Farm O Road
    41 Crosley Convertable coupe
    48 Crosley Panel Delivery
    48 Crosley Convertable
    52 Crosley Wagon
    49 Crosley Wagon
    47 Crosley Pickup
    ?? 3/4 Midget Crosley Powered
    48 Crosley Wagon
    52 Crosley Farm O Road

Hey Dave…
    Due to your favor and defense of this class, as well as your status as President of The Crosley Automobile Club…I sometimes think you were “in” on the development of this class??

Your comment about 04b being a class to benefit the owner is interesting…prior to the development of this class I saw no issues with small cars receiving their proper awards in the “production classes”. There were plenty of Juniors, Seniors, Preservations and Repeats give out to “small cars”. Did you see something different?

The idea of having knowledgeable judges for the class if fine…but really, the potential of having more real “odd ball” stuff is even greater in this class. Cars from multiple makes, from many countries…I can’t imagine it being any easier to judge in 04b than it would in a production class.

I don’t call, what we discuss here arguing…I see it as very constructive conversation.

How about this…let the owner choose what class they want to be in? If some small car owners feel lost amongst the big cars…let them present in 04b. If others owners would like to be in Production Classes…so be it.

I know of a Karmann Ghia that achieved AACA awards in the Sports Car classes…if it would return, would he have a choice? Because another friend brought his out in 2011 only to end up in the lovely, 04b.

From what I understand...Judges can request a class for judging...my friends that judge state they don't always get their first selection or any of them. Are there any classes that DO have a limited number of specific judges that do one class and one class only? Fire Trucks, race cars, motorcycles...etc???

Ron Mann

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information