Thread: My Photos from Blacksburg

My Photos from Blacksburg

I promised to post my photos from Blacksburg when I got them downsized and captioned. That is now done. They are in 3 groups. 1st is cars from 1903-1931. 2nd is cars from 1932-1950. 3rd is cars from 1951-1970. The photos are on Facebook but you do not have to be a Facebook member to view them. Just click on the links I'm posting and it will take you to them. There about 229 photos. I did not get to see all the cars because I ran out of time. I just can't seem to manage to chat with folks and take photos and see every car at a show this big. Hope you enjoy the photos. The links are:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...5&l=e7d7063ae3

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...5&l=f1e7a67a3d

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...5&l=1f5dd8bcce

[SIZE=4]Hope the links work for you. Something's wrong. I can't click on the links and open them. Anybody know what to do about it?

Last edited by john2dameron; August 25th, 2010 at 02:05. Reason: Try to make the links work

Re: My Photos from Blacksburg

Okay, I got the links fixed; they're working now. After getting to the albums just position your cursor over a photo to see a description of the car in the photo and then click on the photo if you want to see it in a larger size.

I assume the 1911 Stanley with no engine is Andy Robeson's. I heard his engine blew up at a tour in Roanoke. The engine on a Stanley is geared directly to the rear axle and sheathed in copper; the rear axle in the picture looks kinda naked!

Gil Fitzhugh, Morristown, NJ

Images

Moved this to the Tour/Meet Forum to keep them consolidated.

Wayne

Images

John,

Thanks for posting all your pics from Blacksburg, and especially for taking the time to capton them;
    it's time-consuming, but greatly appreciated by all who gaze upon them.

Good job!
    TG
    image.php?type=sigpic&userid=43799&dateline=124757  6232

Luck is when Preparation meets Opportunity.

Packin31, I don't know that much about posting them here except that they have to be severly downsized plus I hate to post photos anywhere without ID'ing the cars. Posting the Facebook links lets anybody see the photos at a decent size with the captions. It works for me; I don't know how long it would take to post them here or how satisfactory the results would be.
    Last edited by john2dameron; August 25th, 2010 at 12:32. Reason: correcting typo

Images

John, I think tom is speaking of posting them here....
    Southeastern Fall Meet-Blacksburg, VA - AACA PHOTO GALLERY

....the AACA Photo Gallery.

I generally downsize them 900-1000 pixals.

Hope this helps.
    Wayne

oldcarfudd: The Stanley was shown as a 1910 model. I did not see its mechanicals. I think the photo you referenced is the 1905 Cadillac.

Images

John, the wife liked that blue Hudson too.....

"Hey that looks a little like our Essex!"

Wayne

Images

......"oh, except ours ain't blue, doesn't have side mounts, and wow, that sure is shiny paint!"

John: No, I'm looking at photo 10, a rear view of a Stanley. Although, looking at photo 8, I see it is a 1910 - straight front axle - and not a 1911, which had a dropped axle to lower the profile. When I look up Andy Robeson in the HCCA roster, I see his Stanley is indeed a '10; my error, I thought he had an '11 like mine. And the car in the picture has no engine.

Gil Fitzhugh, Morristown, NJ

Gil, next time I see a Stanley I need to look closer at the mechanicals. thanks for the tips.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by john2dameron View Post
    I hate to post photos anywhere without ID'ing the cars.
    John,

I agree 100%. I loved your photos and particularly the detailed descriptions you provided. I always identify anything I post unless I don't know what it is, but I haven't taken the time to ask the owners about their car, as you did, to add more detail. Your photos give me the incentive to do better.

I like the AACA Gallery because it gets everything in one place so it's easy for people to find -- but only if it's identified. It's a valuable resource for antiquers and will be even more so in the future as we old-timers pass along.

A lot of people come to the AACA gallery to identify a car they've seen or to compare features. If it's not ID'd you can't search and find it. By now I'm pretty good at identifying old cars and I enjoy browsing through the gallery challenging myself. Often as not when I find one I don't recognize I'm left wondering because it's not identified. It's time consuming but you can add descriptions by posting photos one at a time. I feel like if the photo's good enough to post, it's worth the extra time to at least note the year and make.

Don

Don, thanks. Sometimes the owner's are hard to find so most of the info I post either comes form memories stored in my head or from my library (which is quite large). I get bugged when people show a car and don't show their windshield paper. The fifties and sixties are not a problem for me but sometimes the twenties are. I think when they are given the paper at registration the least they can do is display it with the car. Then I wouldn't have to ask, "what year is it?" I recommend facebook for photos. I have a friend that creates 2-4 albums a week. However, he does NOT caption the photos. Still they're interesting to look at.

NICE Pics, NICE Cars !! Looked like a good car show. Wished I coulda gone !!

Good Job! Very nice.

Thanks for taking the time to do it!
    AACA, BCA, BDE, POC (Plymouth Owners Club)
    1967 Buick California GS, Blue w/Black Interior, AACA Senior 2009, BCA Gold Senior 2011.

Thread Information