Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hershey 2010 Feedback

Re: Hershey 2010 Feedback

Jim great thought,if you go ,you do not want to leave

Super Moderator Steve Moskowitz's Avatar
    Images

Sorry Pat, I believe you are wrong on this one! This event is unique to our club as it is a fixture and of course it is a NATIONAL meet (and of course by far our largest). It is not about putting myself down or anyone else. The club needs more national publicity and we all know we can do better. You have to be accountable and I am sure our board would agree with me that we can do a better job. The Hershey Region has far more work than any other national meet and also does not have the reach we do with national publications. This one is our duty and one we try every year to get better at. Heck, we even had a year where Antiques Roadshow visited and filmed...a lot goes on that reaches different segments.
    Antique Automobile Club of America
    Executive Director

Images

Friends when I said advertisment I was not talking about spending bo-ko maga bucks on T.V. ads or even a giant bill board. THE BEST advertisement imho is word of mouth. Its 9 oclock,dont ask if you know where your kid is, ask him if he got his membership card. The hitch on my truck has the AACA logo stuck in it when not towing. I have had people ask me about it,perfect time to BRAG about our club. The next time my small trl. hits the road both sides and back will have our logo on it. Wayne recruted new members this year just by being in a booth at the swap meet,set up a table at your next show and have someone knowlgable talk to the folks that stop by. When your done with your outstanding Antique Auto mag. dont stick it in a pile in the back room,pass it on to a friend that is not a member. Leave it in your Drs. wateing room. I promiss Folks will read it,his (DRs) are so old they vote. Steve is right, if each one of us recrute just one member a year the clube will double each year.
    Dick Griswold 1965 Buick skylark 1972 Chevelle AACA member and One pistol club The difficult at once, the impossible next.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Moskowitz View Post
    Sorry Pat, I believe you are wrong on this one! This event is unique to our club as it is a fixture and of course it is a NATIONAL meet (and of course by far our largest). It is not about putting myself down or anyone else. The club needs more national publicity and we all know we can do better. You have to be accountable and I am sure our board would agree with me that we can do a better job. The Hershey Region has far more work than any other national meet and also does not have the reach we do with national publications. This one is our duty and one we try every year to get better at. Heck, we even had a year where Antiques Roadshow visited and filmed...a lot goes on that reaches different segments.
    But I am right in saying that you work too hard.

Senior Member-1951 Model Shop Rat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by windjamer View Post
    .....When your done with your outstanding Antique Auto mag. dont stick it in a pile in the back room,pass it on to a friend that is not a member. Leave it in your Drs. wateing room. I promiss Folks will read it,his (DRs) are so old they vote. Steve is right, if each one of us recrute just one member a year the clube will double each year.
    Great idea wj. I am going to start leaving the magazines in places where folks will have access to them when we are done with them.

And thanks to the free memberships our Region was given I was able to get two new members into the National this year from right here on the forums. Hopefully they will rejoin for 2011....and beyond.
    Susan W. Linden

AACA National - C.T.C.
    Secret Santa Foundation, Inc. - Secretary
    Stepping Stones Canine Fosters
    Planning Committee - Charleston Distance Run Pasta Dinner
    Telecom/Telephone Pioneers
    __________________________________________________ _______________________________________________

"Don't tempt fate. That call or text can wait. Make your vehicle a No Phone Zone today." - Oprah Winfrey

Images

Quote Originally Posted by windjamer View Post
    set up a table at your next show and have someone knowlgable talk to the folks that stop by. When your done with your outstanding Antique Auto mag. dont stick it in a pile in the back room,pass it on to a friend that is not a member. Leave it in your Drs. wateing room. I promiss Folks will read it.....

Another great idea, Dick, is to buy those AACA window stickers and put them on each antique car. They are small and unobtrusive. Also, have those National and Regional applications in each vehicle.

At our last regional meeting, I showed a small business card from another region that can be handy when you see an antique car you do not recognize. Stick one under their windshield wiper, unless its raining.

Wear your club colors when you are traveling in your antique car.
    Be proactive!

Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by R W Burgess View Post
    .....At our last regional meeting, I showed a small business card from another region that can be handy when you see an antique car you do not recognize. Stick one under their windshield wiper, unless its raining. .....Wayne
    This we should think twice about. It might be counter productive as many folks do not want others touching their vehicles and some wipers are fragile and hard to replace.
    Susan W. Linden

AACA National - C.T.C.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________________________________

"Don't tempt fate. That call or text can wait. Make your vehicle a No Phone Zone today." - Oprah Winfrey

Images

My version of this is to have business cards available. Just walk up to the old car and hang around for a few minutes and the owner will more than likely show up. Usually most antique car owners tend to keep an eye on their car when it is out it public.
    Matthew C. Hinson
    1954 Buick Special, 1984 Buick Riviera, 1989 Buick Park Avenue
    AACA Life Member, MAFCA, BCA

Images

Quote Originally Posted by MCHinson View Post
    My version of this is to have business cards available. Just walk up to the old car and hang around for a few minutes and the owner will more than likely show up. Usually most antique car owners tend to keep an eye on their car when it is out it public.
    We get enough attention with our vehicles where we usually sell the club when they come to look at one of our cars.

I work in advertising and always try and put in plug for the Hershey show at my newspaper and area newspapers here in New Jersey. I even have a link to the AACA page on my website! Imagine if everyone did that - it costs nothing and might increase awareness and memberships.

Hemmings did a few blogs on the Fall Meet...even featured my Thing for one! I had a great time at the show...even got myself a free bag of rolls from the cheesesteak and sausage guy! Anyone else score his end of the day free for all?

What is that… Thing? at Hemmings Blog – Classic and collectible cars and parts
    Ron Mann
    Historian and Archivist for The Pennsylvania Hill Climb Association (read about it in Oct. 2011 issue of Hemmings)
    1965 SCCA/PHA prepared Notchback, 1966 Kombi, 1968 Beetle, 1969 Kombi, 1970 Squareback, 1971 Fastback, 1972 Subaru GL "The Superoo", 1973 Thing, 1976 Puch Newport, 1977 Puch Maxi, 1983 Rabbit LS, 1986 Cabriolet, 1987 Viper "A" Sports Racer, 1996 Harlequin Golf

Images

My two cents worth, never cut back on the swap meet field, work around it, and good riiddens to the old yellow field, the horror stories too. i can remeber the green field having the farmer pulling people out, I was luck I had a 4 wheel drive that year. if was fun in an odd sort of way trumping in the mud, as Hershey is always first come first service. but he second time around there alway more to see. 22 miles for one pass through. It could healthy exercise, and the most i get all year. I even trained for a few weeks.
    1. 42 Packard Seven passenger Limo

42 Packard seven passenger sedan parts only, maybe an airport limo
    42 Packard formal, a basket case, restorable and complete.
    40 Packard 160 -127 inch, , some surface little rust restorable

Wanted on rear deck Air Conditioner Vent to complete the 42 limo.

Wanted one factory Air Conditioners

Want 6 or 8 door Airport limo any year, any make pre WWII.

we are reproducing the Air condioner trunk boxes

Quote Originally Posted by drplc3 View Post
    I do wish the dust could be reduced on the show field. It was from the fresh crushed stone on the drive. It got everywhere on and in my car. Well, at least it beats mud!
    If it had not been watered down well enough, or at all, long before any vehicles being driven on it then you are correct it will get everywhere and then is hard to remove. And some rock just keeps breaking down into dust and the problem just never seems to end no matter how many times it is drenched.

Until the rock was changed in the turn out area where one of my horses is he looked like Pig Pen from the Peanuts cartoons. He would lay down in that rock dust, roll and then stand up and shake and there was this cloud of dust that sifted off of him every time.

So I feel your pain on having to get rock dust out of the nooks and crannys of your vehicle.
    Susan W. Linden

AACA National - C.T.C.

Well this year 3 generations of my family went to hershey, my dad who is 75, who bought himself a new car 2 years ago ( 1927 Star ) my self, and my son who is 18.. and we had a great time, Even if the weather gods where not being too helpfull the first day,, but Muddle through it.. My son is going throught for auto body in school now, and the class was told at the begining of the not to take any time out of the course.. he asked the instructor about taking the week off to go to Hershey.. The instructor told him to go, and have fun,,
    I went down in 2003 with a dear friend of mine who showed me around town, sadly he passed away last year of cancer,, In 2009 my dad asked me about going, and figured i had to take him, figured dont know how many more times we can do it , but we went back again this year , with more of the family, and got my 18 year old involved, and now he wants to go back again soon.. <<<< KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK >>>

Past AACA National President

For me, it only takes three words to describe Hershey -

It's the best!

Terry
    -------
    National President - 2010

They probably need to run a water truck, like the ones used to water down dirt tracks, through at least a day or two before the meet to rinse any dust away from the gravel.

Certain gravel types have dust that sticks like glue if it isn't rinsed away after it is delivered and spread out.
    Last edited by Shop Rat; January 3rd, 2011 at 18:46. Reason: type-o
    Susan W. Linden

AACA National - C.T.C.

Super Moderator Steve Moskowitz's Avatar
    Images

They do...
    Executive Director

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Moskowitz View Post
    They do...
    Hmmm....now to think of a plan B.
    Susan W. Linden

AACA National - C.T.C.

Images

Susan, I would not worry about it too much. This has already been disccussed at length. It was just broght back to the top by a spammer who posted by copying an earlier post and reposting it as a new response along with his website links in his signature. The Moderators have now deleted the spammer. If you want to see the previous discussion, go back and re-read this entire discussion from page 1.
    Matthew C. Hinson
    1954 Buick Special, 1984 Buick Riviera, 1989 Buick Park Avenue
    AACA Life Member, MAFCA, BCA

Images

Hershey was super, I made new friends and met old ones, and found some rare goodies.

Packards42 Joe
    1. 42 Packard Seven passenger Limo

42 Packard seven passenger sedan parts only, maybe an airport limo
    42 Packard formal, a basket case, restorable and complete.
    40 Packard 160 -127 inch, , some surface little rust restorable

Wanted on rear deck Air Conditioner Vent to complete the 42 limo.

Wanted one factory Air Conditioners

Want 6 or 8 door Airport limo any year, any make pre WWII.

we are reproducing the Air condioner trunk boxes

Just made my motel reservations for Hershey 2011!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information