Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2013 National Winter Meet - Lakeland, FL

Images

2013 National Winter Meet - Lakeland, FL

Mark your calendar for February 21 - 23, 2013! And you can now register for the National Winter Meet!

As we look forward to great AACA Meets and Tours in 2013, the first meet of the year is the National Winter Meet in Lakeland, FL, hosted by the Orange Blossom Region. You can register online at the AACA website under Meets through January 31st. And the meet brochure is available there to give you more details on the meet. Just put in your AACA Membership Number and your PIN, and you're ready to get started.

See You All in Lakeland!!

Art Griffin

Re: 2013 National Winter Meet - Lakeland, FL

Looking forward to it. I'll be there with my 1966 Mustang, going for my 12th Preservation Award.

Kevin
    Kevin R
    Tampa FL
    1966 Mustang, Sr 1999, AGNM 2002, Sr AGNM 2008

Images

For those who would like to visit the Orange Blossom Region website and find lots of information about the Region, including the National Winter Meet, just go to: index

The Meet is "Fun in the Sun", and if it's like most years, there will be lots of sun to have fun in......plus all the things you will enjoy at this Winter Meet.

See you all in Lakeland!!

Art Griffin

Images

Although the host hotel rooms are $124 per night, the meet brochure lists a couple of addtional hotels but does not give their room rates. However, as a Wyndham Rewards member, I have found through Wyndham Hotels the names of several other hotels with lower rates. I would guess that you could get a similar rate: Howard Johnson, 939 W. Robson Street, (I-4 exit 32) (863) 688-7972, $82.63; Ramada Inn, 3260 Hwy 98N, (863) 688-8080, $76.03; Travelodge, 3425 Hwy 98N, (863) 858-4481, $79.00; Days Inn, 4502 N. Socum Loop Road, (I-4 exit 33) (863) 683-5906, $77.99. So, be sure to put the National Winter Meet on your schedule.
    Art Griffin

As I am retiring December 28th and the wife and I will be heading to Florida at the end of January, I would very much like to ride over to Lakeland for this meet. I inherited my uncle's place in Seminole 3 years ago so am an hour and half (?) away from Lakeland. Would it be worth staying overnight or could I easily go back and forth if I wanted to come over for more than a day?
    John_Maine
    BCA #35851

John:

Congratulations on the retirement.

Seminole to Lakeland is probably no more than 60-75 minutes, but traffic can (and will) move that time upward. More than likely, you would leave Seminole and get on i-275 northbound in Pinellas County. You will then cross the Howard Frankland Bridge and enter downtown Tampa. After downtown you will go east on I-4 apprroximately 30 miles to Lakeland.

Obviously, you could do that daily, but there are many hotels in Lakeland that would allow you to stay close to the show and relax from the driving.

I live in Tampa but plan on staying in Lakeland for the show, for the reasons outlined above.

Enjoy the show and look me up if you get to the show.

Kevin
    Kevin R
    Tampa FL

Kevin, thanks. I mapped it out and you're right, Park Blvd. to 275, across the Frankland Bridge to I4. I'm definitely going to try and make it. I've been attending Hershey since 2004 so it will be interesting to see the differences. I just wish I could get my 72 LTD to Florida........
    Last edited by John_Maine; December 1st, 2012 at 19:19.
    John_Maine
    BCA #35851

Images

John, the National Winter Meets, which are practically always held in Florida, are lots of fun. But, they are nowhere the size of Hershey. The SE Spring Meet in Charlotte each April is next largest. I have been going to Hershey for many years, and it's always great. Anyway, I'm sure you will enjoy this year's meet in Lakeland, hosted by the Orange Blossom Region. Next year's Winter Meet will be in the Port St. Lucie area.

So, we are looking forward to seeing you in Lakeland! And, enjoy your new home in Florida. We've only lived there almost 56 years, after moving from Schenectady, NY to work at Cape Canaveral. But, my wife and I are now spending part of the year in western North Carolina.

Art Griffin

Art, thanks, yeah, I know nothing's as large as Hershey! 56 years in Florida? I've wanted to get away from winter since my teen years and I almost moved to Florida back when I got out of college, but I met my wife, we started a family, and well life happened. Now that I'm retiring and have a place there, I am anxious to get out of the snow and cold. I've always said I would head south the day after the morning low hit 40 in the fall and wouldn't come back until mid-May but my wife doesn't want to be away from the family that long. She's saying we'll stay a few weeks, I'm saying a few months, so we'll see. I'm hoping once she gets there, she'll decide she likes it. I, on the other hand, have told her that I have only been to Florida for 10 days or 2 weeks at a time and I've played tourist. I don't know what it's like to live there and may get bored after month - I don't know. But we have the place, it didn't cost us anything and we need to try it and find out.
    John_Maine
    BCA #35851

John,

When you get there , you and your wife should get INVOLVED with the nearest AACA Region, attend the events, and learn to enjoy your cars year-round, like we do here in Louisiana ! Art can show you how!

Look me up when you come to the Lakeland Meet....

MARTY ROTH
    NEW ORLEANS, LA

AACA DIRECTOR
    VP-DEVELOPMENT & SUPPORT-CENTRAL DIV.
    SENIOR-MASTER JUDGE
    AACA LIFE MEMBER

1914 BUICK B-37 TOURING
    1930 PACKARD 733 7-PASSENGER TOURING
    1934 BUICK 34-57 SIDEMOUNTED SEDAN
    1937 BUICK 80C ROADMASTER PHAETON
    1941 CADILLAC CONVERTIBLE
    1954 CADILLAC CONVERTIBLE
    1970 CADILLAC CONVERTIBLE
    1986 CHEVY SUBURBAN 2500 454ci
    1988 BMW 528e
    1994 CADILLAC FLEETWOOD
    1995 CADILLAC FLEETWOOD
    2005 CHRYSLER CONVERTIBLE
    1954 U-HAUL 4x6 TRAILER

Marty and Art - If I make it to Lakeland, I will definitely try to find you. I don't know about getting involved with the AACA there as we only plan to be in Florida for couple of months, at least in 2013. I would love to have an antique car in Florida but it wouldn't be practical for me to have one. Of course, that doesn't mean I can't come to meets and such.
    John_Maine
    BCA #35851

John,

I'm easy to find.....grey hair & eyeglasses.....oh yeah, that describes many of us.

Me, too!
    John_Maine
    BCA #35851

'40 Buick Team Member FLYER15015's Avatar
    central colorado on the continental divide
    Images

Art et all,
    Wifey and I will be there too. Can't bring the "baby" down from Colorado, but we'll attend the show.
    Staying @ her sisters place in Claremont (big blueberry farm).
    We had our avatar printed on T shirts so we'll be easy to spot.
    Looking forward to seeing all the cars, and meeting lots of forum members.
    Best Regards,
    Mike in Colorado

I mailed my registration card to the registration chairman last weekend.

Definately looking forward to the show. Stop by and say "HI". I'm in class 34A.

Kevin
    Kevin R
    Tampa FL

Hi Guys - I was looking at the meet info - printed off the brochure - to take to Florida with me and at almost the same time, happened to notice the advertisement for Zephyr Hills in Old Cars Weekly. They are the same weekend. I'm really disappointed because I have heard a lot about the Zephyr Hills Winterfest and wanted to take that in as well. Won't having both on the same weekend affect attendance or are there enough cars and people to go around?
    John_Maine
    BCA #35851

Images

Yes, unfortunately, having them on the same weekend will affect attendance. But, since the Zephyrhills event continues into Sunday, you could skip to Zephyrhills from Lakeland after the AACA Winter Meet is over. Picking a date for a National Meet is not easy, since availability of facilities and conflicts with other events are major factors.

I will be meeting with Registration Chairman, Don Allen, on this coming Thursday to deliver the Judging Class signs and the other Meet signs to the Orange Blossom Region. These signs get passed from Region to Region to avoid having to make new signs, and they will again be used at Cleveland, TN this Fall.

I hope that folks are busy registering for the Lakeland Meet. I have registered to Judge, and my wife and I will be attending various events, including the Awards Banquet on Saturday evening.

See you soon.

Art Griffin

Well, I just looked at the schedule and this timing of the Winter Nationals really is horrendous. Doesn't anyone from the AACA look at local high priority events? Usually the AACA Winter Event is the first weeekend of March, what happened? There is another event that is very huge in S. Fl., it's the Boca Concours show and it's scheduled for the next day. We were looking to take 5 cars to the AACA and the same 5 to Boca, now what? Do the event planners even consider what's going on locally and Boca is just not some car show, it's a true National event?

Super Moderator Steve Moskowitz's Avatar
    Images

Yes people do look at other events BUT our regions and chapters do not always have the privilege of picking and choosing dates. It depends on the availability of facilities, hotels, etc. Sometimes it will conflict with other events. Sometimes when we book an event years ahead we do not know the dates of other events that are not ours. The Boca Raton concours is supported by us. In fact we just sent out a reminder in the mail to our participants that they can get a "2-fer" and go to our meet in Lakeland for Saturday and still make the concours on Sunday as a spectator or if invited as a participant. Unfortunately, this writer forgot to include the letter explaining the entire procedure! We did publish an article in Speedster about this a couple of months ago. No one benefits when there is a schedule conflict BUT almost every weekend there could be a conflict with some other event. We even have conflicts with our own national events this year...it was 100% unavoidable.
    Antique Automobile Club of America
    Executive Director

decide i cant drive 3-4 days each way ro attend
    1966 Chrysler Newport 2dr ht, 383 Automatic
    1966 Ford Mustang coupe, 200 L6 Automatic
    1968 Chrysler 300, convertible, 440 automatic
    1970 Dodge Challenger R/T , 440 Automatic
    1973 Dodge Dart Swinger, 318 Automatic
    1974 Plymouth Cuda, 360 Automatic
    1991 Chrysler Lebaron, convertible, 3.0L automatic
    1994 Ford Taurus SHO., 3.2L Automatic
    2001 Ford Mustang GT Convertible, 4.6L atomatic
    2006 Ford Mustang Coupe, 4.0L Automatic
    1977 Buick Electra Limited,403 automatic

Super Moderator Steve Moskowitz's Avatar
    Images

New Hotel added...limited rooms at this price others at $99

Terrace Hotel $79 plus tax
    329 E Main St .8 miles from show field
    (863) 688-0800
    Ask for AACA rate
    Antique Automobile Club of America
    Executive Director

Images

Come to Lakeland for the National Winter Meet! The Orange Blossom Region is doing everything to make your stay in Lakeland a fun time in the antique vehicle hobby! You will enjoy being with your AACA friends!

I went online to www.hotels.com to see what hotels they had available. It looks like the Terrace Hotel is filling fast, but there are still rooms available at favorable rates at other hotels in Lakeland. And there are other services such as Orbitz, Travelocity, etc. available to help you find a great place to stay.

This week the weather is sunny with temperatures in the 80's, but I can't promise what it will be for the Meet..........usually about the same, though.

Art Griffin

I just talked to the terrace Hotel and they told me the blocked out rate for the AACA was $99.

Dave
    Last edited by 65GT350; January 13th, 2013 at 15:32.

Images

Hey, for all of you that are considering attending the National Winter Meet in Lakeland, we are rapidly approaching the registration deadline, January 31st. So, go ahead and submit your Registration and join us for a great weekend of old car activities. You'll be glad you did. SEE YOU IN LAKELAND!!!

Images

Anyone got a meet flyer they can post for a member in Fort Meyers to read??????
    R W Burgess, (just call me Wayne)

See my Army pictures 40 years later in this newsletter! "Touring California"

AACA #126352 Life Member
    "The twinkle in my eyes is actually the sun shining between my ears!"
    (Thanks Ron Green!)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information