Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Follow my build thread

Follow my build thread

I know I like watching peoples projects from start to finish. So I am using my personal site Welcome to the Home of Ali'N'I to show off ours. I plan on posting updates of my build in this thread, you can always book mark the page and come back whenever you like to see how we are doing. Each major milestone of the build will get documented. Tonight we cleared the trunk since its easier than the interior which I plan on doing tomorrow.

Here is some pics to keep you interested. Alot more photos are on the site.

Last edited by alini; July 4th, 2012 at 00:48.

Re: Follow my build thread

I will certainly be following this thread. Love the build threads. Trunk looks nice and solid. Your off to a good start.
    ROA Member #13099

Link to Picture Album of Project Rivy 401 http://photobucket.com/65Rivy

1965 Riviera 401, AC, Deluxe Interior (Currently undergoing a frame off nut and bolt restoration)
    1987 Buick Grand National (All original, and only 16k miles)

So today I gutted the interior (except the dash, console and headliner) and pleasantly surprised at the condition of the floor. I have two small problem areas which I can patch with some sheetmetal.
    I have a MIG, so this will be cake. What I am wondering about is the body sealer. Its coming off very easy, is there a product to replace it or is it even needed with todays primers??

Nice alini,

the build thread will be fun to watch
    Rob Smalling
    ROA Member #13589
    65 Riviera Gran Sport
    Super Wild Cat

Nice, awesome to find a solid car underneath. How's the condition of the rear window sills? Not sure if you've taken out the back glass yet. That's probably the biggest problem area on these cars. My seam sealer was old and crumbly as well. Clean and remove all the old stuff, and yes, I'd re seam seal all the seams. You want the car to be water tight.
    ROA Member #13099

1965 Riviera 401, AC, Deluxe Interior (Currently undergoing a frame off nut and bolt restoration)

I am removing the window molding this weekend So far I think I will be okay based off these shots. What body sealer did you use??

Images

Most any auto paint store will have some choices of seam sealer, I used the one below. It's easy to work with and stays where you put it. There are some tricks to putting it on it you want a more concourse look. I've used rags soaked with lacquer thinner (after it tacks) or paint brushes (right away) to get the wiped-on look of the original.

You need to treat the rust in the seams first, then prime and put on the sealer then paint. I've done this on quite a few cars now with great results.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sealer.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	198.4 KB 
ID:	144542  
    Mike

ROA #13251

Current:
    1955 Chevy Gasser - The Green Manalishi
    1959 GMC 100 LWB
    1965 Riviera - 401 base
    1965 Riviera - 401 Deluxe int/AC
    1965 Riviera - 401 Deluxe - full optioned parts car - stripped & rusty
    1994 Impala SS Purchased new - 90k - 12k on T-56 conversion

So far, we have removed everything from the front doors back (drivers door still needs to be stripped) I removed the rear window trim and windshield trim and no rust. The passenger door came apart like it was new. The window tracks will need some attention. But all in all the tear down is going along well.

Here is the sand we removed from the bottom of the passenger door. I really think thats what prevented the rust. The sand absorbed any rain water and kept the metal dry.

Great news on the no rust!
    Rob Smalling
    ROA Member #13589
    65 Riviera Gran Sport
    Super Wild Cat

I'm trying to stay up beat. I only need to drop the gas tank, disconnect the emergency brake and the accelerator linkage and the body will be ready to be removed. I'm hoping I didnt bite more than I can chew though. While the condition of the car has been good overall, the interior and anything rubber has been useless. All the vacuum lines for the AC were dry, cracked and in most cases disconnected. The jute was dry and loose, so I dont know the real size shape or location for any of it. The rubber seals were none existant or charcoal, so I dont know how it all really fits when I get around to that part of the reassemble. The wiring connectors are all so brittle they have fallen apart, I'll have to put it all back together by color via the wiring diagrams.
    Ive done a ton of photos as I have gone (will get the website updated later this week) but with everything as dust coated as it was I dont have detail to really help. Positioning is about all they will help with. I have confident in my skill and I have all the time in the world to put this thing back together. Gonna do small sections at a time and stay focused on the end goal, a restore of a classic.

Yes, these cars are more work than your average muscle car restoration. I wouldn't be so concerned as to where the factory jute was, as you should be using newer sound deadening materials when you put the car back together. Common sense should dictate where sound deadening material goes. If you need any help in putting it back together, the car I'm restoring now was unmolested, so I have good documentation as to when I was taking it apart. Good luck, and stay focused. Like you stated, just concentrate on one area at a time. Like for instance, now I'm focusing on the chassis, and am not really even looking at anything related to the body yet.
    ROA Member #13099

I have a pretty organized plan, we're stripping down to the frame. I am cleaning the frame by hand (with tools of course) and will replace suspension pieces as I save up the cash to do the media blast on the body. I plan on getting the media blast, body work and paint done with the body off the frame. The suspension, trans and engine will all be worked frame off. Once its all done put the body on the frame, install insulations/deading materials, rebuild the firewall (heater core/AC) and then rewire the body. The fenders / engine wiring/ grille. The interior/windows will be last piece I plan on tackling. I think thats the most systematic way of doing it. Just reminding myself that Im in the very early stages and I'll will be worth all the work.

Alini, I am very jealous of you and Rob J. You guys have patients and great work ethic. Good luck on all of this. When your car is done I'm sure it will be like brand new. I have a 63 Riv that is probably not worth a real restore, but the work I have done has made it fun car. I can't beleive how much stuff actually works well on the car.
    Keep it up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Very Junior Member 1963 Riviera's Avatar

Thanks allini for taking the time to post your work.
    Nick
    ROA #13827
    1963 Riviera. Teal Mist. Black Interior
    2000 Commodore Aclaim Wagon
    Kawasaki W650 by Deus Ex Machina

Websites updated with last weeks work and I got the Cruiser pages rebuilt. Still need to do the Camaro, but I'm getting there. 38 hours spent on the Riv so far

Welcome to the Home of Ali'N'I

Love this line:

"No body work done. The only issue....the dirt. I have removed enough sand to start my own beach."

thanks for the informative site, mate !
    Andrew P.... ROA member #12375 in Port Macquarie, Australia

1965 Riviera !

great web page Chris! Good Lord you aren't kidding about the dirt and sand, did you get it from Baghdad?

Keep up the good work!
    Rob Smalling
    ROA Member #13589
    65 Riviera Gran Sport
    Super Wild Cat

The car was in outdoor storage for the past 10 years in Las Vegas. The storage lot was nothing but a big dirt lot. When the guy parked it in 2002, the storage yard was a chain link fence. Its now a brick wall and the storage place changed hands 3 times. I did find out more history about the car, its originally an Idaho car, moved to San Diego for a few months before ending up in Las Vegas in 1994. It was titled in Mississippi but was never in that state. The paint on the car dates back to pre-1994, there is an Idaho dealers sticker visible on the back. So far I can account for three other owners. The original, the person who bought it at a use lot (hence the sticker on the back) and the guy who picked it up and I bought it from.
    Last edited by alini; August 4th, 2012 at 21:29.
    Chris Nolan
    1965 Riviera - restoration in work - ROA #13766
    2005 Chrysler PT Cruiser - 300HP, custom panel conversion, factory two tone paint
    2011 Chevy Camaro - 1 of 500 Synergy Series II, White

http://www.teamalini.com

Just a quick update. Got the pylons built for the body stand. Started taking the body bolts out. Got 4 with no fight, the 5th started to so I ran it in a bit and oiled it. Taking a break for the day. Its 108 out, so pleased with what I got done today
    Chris Nolan
    2005 Chrysler PT Cruiser - 300HP, custom panel conversion, factory two tone paint

nice info
    1965 Riviera 401 Deluxe Interior
    1963 Riviera 425 All Upgrades
    ROA Member# 13781 ---- Paul

Got the glass out. Did the windshield Thursday, back glass today. Didnt even use the wire on the back glass, I have a curved pick that I used to pull the sealant out with. Since the back glass is a solid piece I was more comfortable being rough with it. The sealant on the rear window had gone solid in a few spots and you can see that water could get in. But the best part. NO RUST!!!

Right now my last stumbling block to face in the tear down, The engine. The oil level is about 1/2 quart high. Since the engine has been sat for 10 years, I would have expected it to be LOW, not high. I'm afraid water has rusted through something and the water has settled in the pan, under the oil. once we get the body off, we will disassemble the top half of the engine to start checking it out.

The Riviera

The engine if useable will be sent to my son who is a student at the School for Automotive Machinists. As part of his education he will be doing a full rebuild of the engine, to include port and polish the head with flow bench to ensure its the same across the board. Our goal is a streetable 400hp/500lbs 401 engine. But first to make sure we can use the engine.
    Chris Nolan

this is great ! thanks for the update.
    so happy for you that you've got no rust issues with the windshield and back window.
    what a time saver that'll be!

1965 Riviera !

We have body off the frame. Lessons learned for those thinking of tackling this in your own garage.....you need ATLEAST 6 folks. We did it with 5 and if I had to do it again I wouldnt. We looked it over once we were done about what we would do different next time. Our plan using engine hoist (with casters) at the front and rear. Let the hoist do the lifting and use the man power to muscle the stands around. This was madness. If it werent for the motivation of my friends to get it on the stand come hell or high water, I would have just said screw it and bolted the body back on.

Chris Nolan

i love your sign off over at the alini.com page!

i know we keep saying it, but THANKS for this series
    the pics are great - the more the better

any detailed closeups of every section (before and after) are appreciated.

1965 Riviera !

Its kinda killing me that I have a two car garage and I dont have any tires on the ground in it right now. but this should be worth all the work
    Chris Nolan

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information