Thread: Surviving Grouts

Surviving Grouts

Is there any estimate of how many are still with us? Does anyone know if any of their gasoline cars survived, complete or otherwise?

Re: Surviving Grouts

Drive over to Orange Mass [thats where the cars were made] historical scioty and talk to walter,,,,hes trying to make a list,,,Cheers,,Ben

My father owned one from 1960 thru the late 80s.

I owned two an 1899 3 place, the oldest known Grout and a 1903 Model J that was on the L to B run this year. Alan Kelso

It seems that there are a fair number in various states of repair. I did discuss it with Walt and it seems that there are no known internal compustion survivors. I would be interested to hear if there are any steamers (complete or otherwise) that will be coming up for sale, or if anyone has seen anything surviving from the various IC models.
    Visit our friends at The Old Motor.

Images

This thread caught my attention, I know there was a Grout in a retired doctor's garage in Lynnfield, Ma. A dozen or more years back. The doc passed on quite a while back, he was going to restore it, but I don't think he ever did. I want to say it was a steam car. For all I know, it may still be there.---Pete.

Pete; this is the guy, Mr. Arthur Funai, who you told me about with the Grout. It has taken him 50 years to restore it, but who is counting?

Ray. Men in Motion: Seasoned & Smart Cable Show - YouTube
    we don't know what we have got 'til it's gone...........Joni Mitchell

Images

Hi Ray!, Yes, I remember Arthur very well. I grew up in the small town of Lynnfield, Ma. I believe he bought it from Dr. Worthen years ago, or had it stored in his barn. I remember seeing it there about 40 years ago down on Locust St. in Lynnfield, where the old photo of the unrestored Grout was taken within the cable TV interview, you kindly "patched on" there in your post. Arthur's got to be in his 90's now. I didn't know he ever finished the Grout. He also has a 1918 (?) Lancia roadster. Thanks very much for your post Ray. Best to you, Pete.

Thread Information