Thread: What is This?

What is This?

I have an electrical device that I cannot indentify. It has Gray & Davis on it and is called a dynamo. It is rated 6 volts and 10 amps. It was my grandfather's and passed on to my dad and now me. My dad thought it was from a Packard but my grandfather owned everything from a Model A to a Studebaker truck. I will attach a couple of photos. If anyone can help me please do so. Thanks Bruce
    brucehrach@msn.com
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 026.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	1.42 MB 
ID:	68216   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 027.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	1.41 MB 
ID:	68217  
    Last edited by turbo15479; October 28th, 2010 at 12:43. Reason: typo

Senior Member-1951 Model Shop Rat's Avatar

Re: What is This?

Are there any markings on it at all? If there are then those would help folks help you figure out what it fits.
    Susan W. Linden

AACA National - C.T.C.
    Secret Santa Foundation, Inc. - Volunteer
    Stepping Stones Canine Fosters
    Planning Committee - Charleston Distance Run Pasta Dinner
    Telecom/Telephone Pioneers
    __________________________________________________ _______________________________________________

"Don't tempt fate. That call or text can wait. Make your vehicle a No Phone Zone today." - Oprah Winfrey

If you do a google search on a gray & davis dynamo a newspaper article from 1912 comes up. It claims a dynamo and generator are the same thing. The only other markings on it are it is number 375 and it looks like a T or I series. It looks like new inside and turns freely. Here is a link to the article, The gasoline automobile - Google Books

With the pulley on the end, I agree that it is a generator. Maybe an aftermarket part as an accessory??
    Larry Schramm

1915 Buick C-4 Truck
    1918 Buick E-4 Truck
    1917 Buick D35 Touring
    1976 Corvette-Wifes car
    1984 VW Westfalia Camper
    2011 Camaro- Synergy Green -Wifes car

The article I posted the link to claim it was made by Delco for car companies.

Yes in the early days, generators were known as dynamos and starters were just called motors.
    Gray and Davis Model T
    Jones 1916-17 25,26
    Metz 1915 25
    Stearns-Knight 1915 Light 4
    There may be additional applications as some lists that show Gray and Davis do not show the model.

Gray & Davis made aftermarket lighting systems for the Model T Ford, they also had a starter-generator set-up that mounted on the LH side of the engine and used a chain drive to a special front sprocket mounted on the front pulley of the crank. I sold two of this style units at Hershey about 20 years ago, but they looked a lot like that only with a sprocket.

What is a unit like this worth? I may be willing to sell this if anyone has a use for it.

I think i got $65 per unit but they had all the bracketing and the pulley sprockets - no chain but it looked like narrow timing chain. That was 1980's money...

Thread Information