Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: My 1964 Electra Project

Maintenance Craftsman chevy_dude97's Avatar

Re: My 1964 Electra Project

Nice ride, looks alot better after the detail job!
    1951 Buick Super 4D 263ci dynaflow "Under Construction"
    1968 ElCamino SS (SOLD)
    1972 Chevell Malibu SS Clone (SOLD)
    1984 Camaro F41 (RIP)
    1996 Camaro SS M6 (SOLD)
    1997 Camaro Z28 (SOLD)
    2008 Chrysler T&C

Got some new tires on her today and away we went! To the local ice cream place to get milkshakes.

I got a few honks and thumbs up from random people while driving...that was pretty surreal and neat.

(BTW I love that the dash lights up red to match the interior when the headlights are on)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 1.JPG 
Views:	81 
Size:	105.3 KB 
ID:	150064Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 3.JPG 
Views:	69 
Size:	108.6 KB 
ID:	150065Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 4.JPG 
Views:	69 
Size:	102.8 KB 
ID:	150066
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 2.JPG 
Views:	63 
Size:	102.3 KB 
ID:	150067  
    ----------
    BCA# 46718
    Joseph
    Monroe NC
    1964 Electra 225 (work in progress)

on ebay there is a set of hubcaps that look like yours-outer slots with a turbine look silver trishield-that would make them 63s i think.there under ebay 63-65 riviera parts.3 hours ago there were no bids starting at 50.00 4 days 23 hours left.hope you can find listing -seller is jsed4964(4).

Hey! I am restoring a 1964 as well! I sure wish mine was in as good of shape as your is! Yours sure cleaned up nice.
    as for your question about the skirts.... I think all of the Electra came with skirts. The LeSabres and Wildcats didn't.

Mine is a convertible. The only factory option is doesn't have is an Am/FM radio but it did come with a wonderbar radio with a foot button. I know I am going to wish it wasn't fully optioned whn it comes time to re do all the wiring!

Congrat's on the Electra :-)
    I am currently restoring a 1964 Buick Electra convertible with a 425 dual quad engine and bucket seats.
    My dad bought it new. http://rides.webshots.com/album/578933782esLUTV
    My other project car is a 1965 Shelby Cobra and as we all know, our projects are never done.;)
    http://rides.webshots.com/album/557996496OrYPsL

Quote Originally Posted by cobravii View Post
    Hey! I am restoring a 1964 as well! I sure wish mine was in as good of shape as your is! Yours sure cleaned up nice.
    as for your question about the skirts.... I think all of the Electra came with skirts. The LeSabres and Wildcats didn't.

Mine is a convertible. The only factory option is doesn't have is an Am/FM radio but it did come with a wonderbar radio with a foot button. I know I am going to wish it wasn't fully optioned whn it comes time to re do all the wiring!

Congrat's on the Electra :-)
    Thanks, and honestly I don't know about the skirts. I have only had the car for about 5 days and the only thing i've done so far is put on a new fuel pump and get it some new tires. The skirts were on it when I got it. But I've heard from a few people and from surfing the net that some of the things on my car did or did not come with electras or different models of electras. I'm honestly not sure what the PO did or did not do.

I know that mine has the AM only radio, no AC but does have power windows and seats (still work great), but it also has the skirts as well. Plus it has bench seats, not bucket.
    ----------
    BCA# 46718
    Joseph
    Monroe NC

Images

All 1964 Electra 225 series cars were equipped with the fender skirts.
    Brian Laurance, BCA #5168

1959 Buick Electra 4-door hardtop
    1971 Buick Centurion Formal Coupe
    1990 Buick LeSabre Limited Coupe
    1996 Buick Riviera Coupe
    2005 Buick LeSabre Custom Sedan

We now have a fully working dash, radio works and all the courtesy features work

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0219.jpg 
Views:	374 
Size:	427.4 KB 
ID:	150164
    ----------
    BCA# 46718
    Joseph
    Monroe NC

Ben Bruce BCA# 44599 First Born's Avatar
    Images

Getting better by the hour!!

Ben
    Last edited by First Born; August 22nd, 2012 at 07:32.
    1995 Park Ave
    1950 Super Mod 52
    1950 Special Mod 41D Second owner

Quote Originally Posted by First Born View Post
    Getting better mi the hour!!

Ben
    Thanks!, luckily no one was around with a camera when I was upside down under that dash. I was in positions I've not been in since college!
    ----------
    BCA# 46718
    Joseph
    Monroe NC

Anyone know if you can use one of those generic power antenna kits that you get at NAPA or Autozone to replace a broken power antenna. The motor and switch on the old one work fine it's just the antenna is broken off. I know that once that happens you pretty much have to replace the whole unit. The guys at the local autoparts stores have absolutely no clue what will work on this car or not.
    ----------
    BCA# 46718
    Joseph
    Monroe NC

Quote Originally Posted by trafalger View Post
    Look what I found in the trunk

Attachment 149861
    Great that these were in the trunk!!!!
    Chris Gossweiler
    1954 Buick Special 48D. It is a 264 and nothing more.
    BCA#-46800
    I adore my 54!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jWYdKAIQX4

If she will mount up or a mount can be made to secure the new motor/antenna there is no reason it would not work. 12 volts is 12 volts. Fashion a bracket to secure. Connect the wires correctly and it should work fine.

Cool car. Enjoy!
    Chris Gossweiler
    1954 Buick Special 48D. It is a 264 and nothing more.
    BCA#-46800
    I adore my 54!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jWYdKAIQX4

Brakes adjusted and parts are purchased for a new exhaust..Just need to mount them up then we're back on the road full tilt.
    ----------
    BCA# 46718
    Joseph
    Monroe NC

Does anyone know how to remove the power antenna, i have tried everything and my service book doesn't say anything about it. The motor is good i just need to replace the mast.
    Last edited by trafalger; August 18th, 2012 at 19:41.
    ----------
    BCA# 46718
    Joseph
    Monroe NC

The new exhaust is on and she's on the road! Now i just need to figure out how to get this stupid antenna off.

haha
    ----------
    BCA# 46718
    Joseph
    Monroe NC

On the 65 there is a cap over the antenna on the quarter panel with 2 slots in it. I took a spanner wrench and loosened the nut and everything else comes out form inside the trunk.
    Great job on getting it on the road.
    I think the antenna is outlined in the Service Manual. GM issued a Chassis Manual and a Service manual.

I can copy the pages for my 65 if you want to see if it's the same.
    Bill
    BCA - AACA - WOKR
    Kinsman, Ohio
    65 Buick Electra Conv.
    95 Ford Ranger 2WD
    13 Mini Cooper Conv.
    Looking for next project...

Thanks for the reply. Mine is on the right front fender. I took the cap off but something else is holding it in there.

I have the chasis manual, so I need to find a copy of the service manual. Can you order those online somewhere?

Also it looks like there is a bracket shaped like a U holding the antenna on and I cannot figure out how to get that off.

Quote Originally Posted by wmsue View Post
    On the 65 there is a cap over the antenna on the quarter panel with 2 slots in it. I took a spanner wrench and loosened the nut and everything else comes out form inside the trunk.
    Great job on getting it on the road.
    I think the antenna is outlined in the Service Manual. GM issued a Chassis Manual and a Service manual.

I can copy the pages for my 65 if you want to see if it's the same.
    ----------
    BCA# 46718
    Joseph
    Monroe NC

Got the antenna out, nothing local you can use as a replacement I will need to find a NOS part....BUT I was able to pick up a 8 dollar fixed mast and it works great. So now I know the radio works.
    ----------
    BCA# 46718
    Joseph
    Monroe NC

Images

Nice car! From the pics posted it looks like your car was built with a beige interior, although the red door panels look way cool to me. I also like the red dashboard lights but alas, that is a user modification. I'd keep em if you like em. What the heck, we always say make it the way you want it.

The skirts would be stock body panels on all Electra models. If you pull them off you'll see the lip that they sit against are manufactured right into the body. Other models with skirts are aftermarket jobs, your's are original.

As to the road wheels, there are several sizes and styles that all look similar, but may not fit your car. Your car has a 5 on 5 bolt pattern. The road wheels are one piece rims like what is shown in your trunk. It is a 15" in diameter rim. There is another 15" rim developed much later for Buicks. It is a two piece rimand the bolt pattern is 4 3/4 " on 4 3/4 ". These obviously will not fit your car. Almost all the rims have a code stamped on them at the factory. That is the key to what fits your car. While some incorrect rims will still fit your car, it is best to try and get a matched set of rims via this code. That is because the difference in the rims is usually the offset, or how far away from the frame the rim will sit when installed. Different frames require different offsets. Using a rim without sufficient offset will result in your tires rubbing on the frame in turns.

Here's two more things I'll offer for your consideration.
    1- Do not over rev that engine. Buicks develop their high power ratings at lower RPMs than other period engines. While reving them high sounds great, you run the risk of damage through a stuck valve. Most Buick factory Tachs show the red line in the 6,000 rpm range I believe. Keep it under that and you'll enjoy the original engine for a long time.
    2- Of the multitude of Buicks I have run, when you get to 99- 110K, you will need a timing chain replacement. The chain will stretch and one day you will start the car, it will run till it warms up then stall, and you will not be able to restart it. Back in the day many people changed the engine when it would not run thinking the engine was blown. In my experience, a new timing chain gear set and chain resolved this issue and made for a much better running vehicle.

I know I threw a lot at you here, and apologize if this is overload. I hope you continue to enjoy that great car for a long time!

John C. De Fiore BCA # 3757
    56 Super 56R: acquired September 1974 :D
    69 GS 400: Convertible Added in 2003 :rolleyes:
    69 Electra Limited 2 dr. bought 1995 or so. Sold March 2009!
    78 Estate Wagon: added 10-2008 :cool:
    95 Riviera Supercharged: added May 1998. Sold September 2006
    06 Lacrosse CXL Purchased July 4th 2006. Traded in Aug 2013
    2013 Regal GS acquired Aug 2013 ( thanks to the La Crosse)

"Yes! I'd really rather drive my Buick!"

Member of the UPSTATE NY CHAPTER
    check it out at
    http://unybca.com

Thanks for all the tips!!

I really like working on the car but I really starting to wonder if it would be worth it to try and sell her and get into my "dream" car. I'm about to hit the point of diminishing returns with some big purchases (like paint and an interior redo) My dream car is a 1950s area car. I love the 50s curves especially the Buicks. While I really like the Electra I'm just not in love with it.

Would it be more advantageous to try and do a trade? or sell her outright? What would be a decent price for it?

Just thinking out loud before i get too involved financially in this thing.

Thoughts? I'm looking for some feedback.
    ----------
    BCA# 46718
    Joseph
    Monroe NC

Images

The one piece of advice I have regarding your trade plan is that a 64 is modern compared to a 50's car. My 63 Cat was a pleasure to drive. I love my 55's and I drive all over the country, but you really have to DRIVE them.
    On the other hand, I sold my Wildcat and still have the 55's
    Mike Middleton

http://www.midtownrestorations.com
    Regional Co-Director South Central Region BCA
    Vice Director Alamo Chapter BCA
    Assistant Chairman BCA Driven Class

1955 Special 2 dr. sedan (BCA Gold Senior Driver)
    1955 Century convertible (Updates at Me and My Buick http://forums.aaca.org/f163/55-centu...ct-272999.html)
    1955 Century Estate Wagon (Driven Hard and Fast)
    1948 Buick powered hot rod
    1931 Model A hot rod

Quote Originally Posted by buick5563 View Post
    The one piece of advice I have regarding your trade plan is that a 64 is modern compared to a 50's car. My 63 Cat was a pleasure to drive. I love my 55's and I drive all over the country, but you really have to DRIVE them.
    On the other hand, I sold my Wildcat and still have the 55's
    Thanks for the tips.

Realistically how hard is the 64 to keep on the road when compared to a 50s? I'm not talking about the accessories, i mean just pure road worthy? Obviously I want something I can enjoy and drive.

I worry about the size of the car and the gas mileage. I really wish i had a buick guy local that I could just get 10 minutes with that could look at the car and tell me if I'm about to drop a tranny in 3 months, or if it sounds like the headers are about to come out of the engine. I'm not a big engine guy and this thing is by far the oldest car I've ever worked on much less driven.

I'd love to be able to drive her to my parents house which is about 100 miles away, but I guess I'm just scared of it as a whole.
    ----------
    BCA# 46718
    Joseph
    Monroe NC

Here's an article on repairing the OE antenna for your Buick. If you experience a tick in your valve train, run a quart or Marvel Mystery Oil in it for a while, then do an oil change. Search the archives on which oil to use. Modern oils do not have the zinc needed by older flat tappet engines.

Electric antenna repair

Ed

Here's an article on repairing the OE antenna for your Buick. If you experience a tick in your valve train, run a quart or Marvel Mystery Oil in it for a while, then do an oil change. Search the archives on which oil to use. Modern oils do not have the zinc needed by older flat tappet engines.

Electric antenna repair

From what I see in your pictures, the antenna is on the right front fender. If the antenna on your '64 is like the antenna on my '64 Riviera, there's an access panel in the inner fender. Remove the outer machine screws and the entire antenna assembly will slide out the bottom. The larger single bolt holds the antenna bracket to the inner fender access panel.

Ed

Thanks for the reply, my antenna problem is not the motor however it is the mast is broken. I need to find a replacement power mast and mine will be good as new. I was however able to find the antenna service door and remove the assembly with no issues.

I picked up a fixed mast antenna at autozone for 5 bucks to test the radio at least. She does work, although its a bit limiting being only am haha

I'm not sure if they made an fm radio for that year but maybe I can stumble onto one eventually.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information