Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: HOW LONG HAS YOUR CAR BEEN SITTING?

Re: HOW LONG HAS YOUR CAR BEEN SITTING?

Sorry:
    I tried to copy from another thread and edit. It did not seem as if it copied. So I kept trying!
    Please cut the first 5 replys.
    Larry

Sr (grey-haired) Member Rob McDonald's Avatar

LARRY, good for you, getting back out to the shop and your '37. The distraction you brought home last fall, your '25, does not have to relegate the other Buick to limbo. Keep us posted on your progress on the one, while telling us how much fun you're having driving the other. You've got the best of both ends of the hobby.
    Rob McDonald
    1957 Buick Roadmaster model 73A, owned since February 1973
    1962 Valiant Signet
    1967 Valiant 100, daily driver

Images

Quote Originally Posted by MrEarl View Post
    Hello, my name is MrEarl, and I have BADD. (Buick Attention Deficit Disorder) Every time I buy a Buick and start working on it, my attention is drawn to another one and I purchase it. That coupled with Buick Garden projects and keeping the Buick Garden grounds maintained has caused to many projects to sit far longer than I care to even think about. But all that will change when I retire next year. I will be broke but have plenty of time to get every one of them on the road.
    X 2 or is it X 10 (projects!) My Buick Garden got thoroughly ignored last year as I got married and moved from maintenance -free condo living to a house! Now back to the Wildcats and GS projects. # 1 is a 65 Skylark Gran Sport that has been dormant since '84. Sat in Cali without engine till 2004, now it has engine, trans, interior , paint...just a lot of electrical, brakes and dash to assemble.
    Ted Nagel- "Deceptively Proficient"

Most recent driven would have been October / November...winter has actually finally arrived in these parts of late. I bought the Wildcat in 1993...restoration began in 2005 and drove it in 2006. I bought the Invicta in 2000 (I think) and it still patiently awaits restoration. The other projects have sat for less time.
    Derek Thille
    BCA #39416, MBCC #1984, BGR #11
    88 Reatta Coupe / 76 Century Pace Car - "Spirit" / 75 Electra Limited 2 door HT / 66 Wildcat Custom Coupe - "Ellie" / 62 Special Convertible / 61 Invicta Convertible - "Vicky" / 56 Special 4-door Sedan / 54 Century Estate Wagon / 52 Roadmaster 4-door / 41 Special 41SE / 29 McLaughlin Buick Model 51 / 23 SD-4 Combination Passenger & Express (replica)

2006 Buick Rainier - "Ruby" / 2005 GMC Sierra K2500 - "Max"
    Thriller's Out of Date Buick Page

B-59 ~ last driven: 1994.

Hmmm, the first time or the second time, lol. The first time it sat for eight years, the frame buried in mud. My brother-in-law got it running in about half an hour and had it towed home. That was in 1988. I bought it from my dad for $200 in '90, swapped out the 250-6 for a Buick 350-2 in '91, drove it for ten years and due to financial problems it sat for ten years and the same brother-in-law got it running again last year. I'm now in a better financial situation to really start on the restoration.

Images

Well, my wife has a 1968 Wildcat convert that was last driven in 1986. It broke down one day, and was put away (covered storage), till we bought it in 2010. I got it running well, but since its' been an Ontario car all its' life, it has the rust that goes with life up here.
    It's patiently awaiting my attention after my '41 Roadmaster is done.
    Keith

I see the light at the end of the tunnel and hopefully it's not the headlight of an oncoming train.

My 65 Electra Conv. is almost ready. I bought it in 1973, my junior year in HS. didn't even have a drivers license but I had a car. Daily driver for 6 years and then I went to pick it up from having body work done on it and the engine was blown. Of course they denied ever driving it. Number 7 rod was snapped and section of the cam was missing. About 6 years ago I finally got a few extra bucks and found the time to start restoring. Little by little most thngs have been addressed. Made a spray both a few weeks ago and painted it back to Seafoam Green Met. and tonight I put the rear bumper on. I've got 3 of the 6 brake lights working so far.....that's legal right. Headlights, license plate light and backups all work now too. Hope to get the front bumper on by Saturday and take it on the road. Since I only have one old bucket seat bolted to the floor there will be no passengers for while. I've have YOM plates and the insurance started up yesterday. The reupholstered seats and door panels are not in yet because I haven't put the new conv. top on. It'll be a lot easier to install it without any seats in the car. It came in last week and sure looks nice. Got to wait till my friend has time to help me in mid May.
    It may not be pretty just yet, but with a bit of luck it will see the road.
    Bill
    BCA - AACA - WOKR
    Kinsman, Ohio
    65 Buick Electra Conv.
    95 Ford Ranger 2WD
    13 Mini Cooper Conv.
    Looking for late 1920's Willys Knight project

Images

WEELLLL..........

While the Special is "STILL" sitting...... I did manage to clean all the stuff off her that had accumulated over time and around her enough to actually have room to attempt to get at the brakes! Didn't take a picture before (too embarrassed). I even finally found the rebuilt power brake/booster that I thought was in the trunk but actually in the basement at home. The car is in the garage at my rental and while not too far away, need to keep parts together for the car they fit.

So, the summer is almost gone and obviously not going to be driving it too soon but .... small steps.

Mine has been in the same spot for around 18 months. One step forward...two steps back...

Pete you just described the steps to the "I Own an Old Buick" dance. I've been dancing that particular jig for over a year now and it's just starting to pay off. Keep the faith brother!! It'll happen!
    BCA #46402
    KFOCI #10647

1952 Buick Special Deluxe 41D (Lucy)
    (My Dad And I Finally Have A Project Car)
    1953 Kaiser Manhattan (Linus)
    (Another One?! But I'm Not Even Done With The Buick Yet!!:p)
    1979 Thunderbird Town Landau
    (Highly Neglected Since I Got My Buick)
    1977 Thunderbird Town Landau
    (My First Car Given To Me By My Uncle w/ 20,000 Original Miles & Wrecked In 2004(not my fault) w/ 70,000 Miles, R.I.P.)

my father drove the '27 to a vintage rally in 2000, it broke down on the way home, it sat in his shed, not going until he passed away in may this year, I now have it up and running again, and drove to a vintage vehicle club meeting 20 miles away on an interstate highway Sunday
    1927 Buick 27-25 tourer
    1994 Euro BMW M3
    1986 BMW 325i race car

Alan

I have known my '71 since it was new. It was purchased at Lindeman Buick in Westfield, MA by some friends of my uncles. I have the original title and dealer purchase order. They sold it to my uncle in January 1980 when it had 40K on it. My uncle used it as his primary car until 1983 when he purchased a '78 AMC Concord with 6K miles from an elderly friend. He said the Buick used too much gas, but he kept it, using it occasionally in the summer. In the fall of '85, he had an accident with the Concord so drove the Buick to Florida for the winter of '85-'86. Upon returning home, he had the Concord fixed and the Buick went back to occasonal summer use. In 2000, my uncle decided to sell his home at the lake and move to an assisted living facility. He had no place to keep the Buick, so gave it to me. As I mentioned in a previous post, it has some issues now so the last 2-3 years, I've only put 100 miles a year on it. It had 106,600 miles on it in May 2000 and now has 112,278 miles on it. I've put about 50 miles on it since April, just starting it up and running around town. I last had it out of the garage about a month ago when I decided to give it a good bath. I'd love to have it fixed up so I felt more comfortable taking it out on the road.
    John_Maine
    BCA #35851

Maintenance Craftsman chevy_dude97's Avatar

2 months... Hopfully be back on the road before christmas!
    1951 Buick Super 4D 263ci dynaflow "Under Construction"
    1968 ElCamino SS (SOLD)
    1972 Chevell Malibu SS Clone (SOLD)
    1984 Camaro F41 (RIP)
    1996 Camaro SS M6 (SOLD)
    1997 Camaro Z28 (SOLD)
    2008 Chrysler T&C

Hello, as starter of this thread, I guess it's ok if I advise that tomorrow November 1st. very early I am having heart surgery.

Depending on what the dye shows I will either have a by-pass or stints.

Hope to be back on line very soon, I will miss all the great posts.

Dale in Indy

Hi, Dale, I had a double bypass. Going in I thought of a close friend who had been through it and it gave me a lot of confidence. I was braced for a lot of pain the second week and never felt a bit. I am walking about 3 miles a day now and hovering around 203-204 pounds from about 250, maybe 255.
    The only real problem is catching hell from my accountant. She doesn't understand how much business you drum up at three trade organization meetings a month; all buffets at generous places.
    Good luck,
    Bernie- in the 34 waist Goldschmied jeans and the 16.5 Prada shirt (added a new hobby)
    BCA# 10556
    1948 Packard Deluxe Eight
    1960 Buick Electra
    1964 Buick Riviera
    1986 Buick Electra Park Ave convertible
    1994 Chevy Impala SS

Images

Dale.

Hope all goes well. All of us will pray for you.

Dave
    Dave Gelinas
    BCA 26773
    BCA 36-38 Buick Division
    BCA Pre-War Division
    Minuteman Chapter of the BCA
    AACA 350682
    CCCA 38075

1938 Buick Special; 4 door Dual Sidemounted Touring Sedan

Senior Member jackofalltrades70's Avatar

Dale,
    You are in my thoughts and my prayers. Whichever diagnosis they give you after the dye, you are on the right track to getting past this problem. Keep in touch whenever you can during your recovery. Matt
    Matt Whitaker
    BCA#45694
    AACA#996555
    1947 Buick 56C (used for parts on the Roadmasters) but still have her carcass
    1947 Buick 56C (waiting to go pick her up. Complete parts car)
    1947 Buick 76C
    1948 Buick 76C
    1956 Buick Super 4 door
    1977 Corvette

"Handle every stressful situation like a dog, If you cant eat it or play with it, just pee on it and walk away!":D

Dale, I wish you the best my friend. We'll miss your "great posts" as well. I'm sure you'll be back in no time though. Get well soon and drop us a line whenever you can!
    BCA #46402
    KFOCI #10647

1952 Buick Special Deluxe 41D (Lucy)
    (My Dad And I Finally Have A Project Car)
    1953 Kaiser Manhattan (Linus)
    (Another One?! But I'm Not Even Done With The Buick Yet!!:p)
    1979 Thunderbird Town Landau
    (Highly Neglected Since I Got My Buick)
    1977 Thunderbird Town Landau
    (My First Car Given To Me By My Uncle w/ 20,000 Original Miles & Wrecked In 2004(not my fault) w/ 70,000 Miles, R.I.P.)

Images

Dale;
    All the best!
    Keith

Pile in, road trip!!! 41Roadmaster's Avatar

Hey Dale,

Sorry I just caught this post tonight. I hope all went well this morning. You're in my thoughts buddy....
    Oh by the way, how long has my car been sitting? 11 months, 3 days and 10 hours since restoration began. Good news is, I should be test cranking soon : )

Heal up fast, we need those quippy Dale in Indy replies!
    Anderson Pearson
    AACA #5651J
    BCA #32430
    Charlotte, NC

1941-76C Roadmaster Convertible Coupe

Images

Hey there Dale, Just like Anderson, I just saw this tonight. I hope things went well today, and that you are back with us soon. Prayers coming your way for the best.

PS: my cars have been sitting two weeks now. I'm getting jittery to get them back out again.

John C. De Fiore BCA # 3757
    56 Super 56R: acquired September 1974 :D
    69 GS 400: Convertible Added in 2003 :rolleyes:
    69 Electra Limited 2 dr. bought 1995 or so. Sold March 2009!
    72 Electra Limited added July 2014...
    78 Estate Wagon: added 10-2008 :cool:
    95 Riviera Supercharged: added May 1998. Sold September 2006
    06 Lacrosse CXL Purchased July 4th 2006. Traded in Aug 2013
    2013 Regal GS acquired Aug 2013 ( thanks to the La Crosse)

"Yes! I'd really rather drive my Buick!"

Member of the UPSTATE NY CHAPTER
    check it out at : http://unybca.com

I am HOME......no place like home, huh...

Weak dye was injected in an effort to lower the risk of kidney issues, something I didn't know. They had an operation room ready next door in case I needed open heart work, but thank the good Lord that didn't happen.

All 3-by passes, and 2-stints look as good as the day they were put in place. GREAT NEWS. The bad, isn't all that BAD, the fact that I tire easy is something that can't be fixed, doctor said this issue isn't a killer, I am trying a new drug that has helped many with this problem, so we will see. He laughed, and said, now you have an excuse, NOT to dig ditches, unload trucks, etc.

He went on to say, you know your body, and adjust, it isn't that hard to do.

Also he said my heart is pumping very near to normal, and said that is very good, so I'M HAPPY.

Thanks to you all for your comments/prayers.

Dale in Indy

I like that you like stories. I've thrown in a few of them since I joined today. The '48 Buick sedan quit running and the pistons have bonded (talk about anchor weight! It's Redi-Strip dip time!). It has been resting since about 1989. There's a Roady 2-door out here in this desert, and when I find and buy it (with, what? Money?), it will become a yellow convertible with red interior (no surprises there). And parts left over: I really would like a forest green woody, too. . . . BTW, my '57 CAD conv. was parked about 30 years ago. I just don't like rushing into these car projects. . . .

Images

Two weeks ago we took a nice leaf peeping ride in the Smoky Mountains. When we bought it in 1996, it didn't run. After a few days of tinkering, the old straight 8 fired up and drove. Although exhaust pressuer would build up and shoot flaming balls of mouse nests out the tail pipe. From that time on all during the restoration it never went more than 2 months without being fired up. Completed ater 3 1/2 years, it's stayed a usable vehicle for the last 13 years.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	August 2009 010-001.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	1.40 MB 
ID:	161276
    Paul Dobbin
    If you don't drive them, might as well collect clocks.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information