Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: HOW LONG HAS YOUR CAR BEEN SITTING?

Images

Re: HOW LONG HAS YOUR CAR BEEN SITTING?

I drove my '50 Special Sedanete today. I have 3 gas stations close by that I buy non-ethanol gas from. I don't want to worry about that problem.

East foothills of the Colorado Rockys near Loveland

What a beautiful '58

I have not been able to drive mine since last Summer when I trailered it to a local dealer for our club twentieth anniversary. With the wisdom in Washington DC, our state and local governments decided it would be good to use TARP money to do "Shovel Ready" jobs on our state highways, city and county roads. And, for a time the rock pebbles were as thick as a river fog. Still one cannot travel more than ten miles without one hitting the windshield. I expect that I will be able to drive some this Spring. I hope you have an opportunity soon to enjoy yours.

'57 Roadmaster

Quote Originally Posted by dei View Post
    Not sure how long an explanation you want here but.......

My 1958 Buick Special convert has been off the road since October 2007 due to a blown power brake booster. It is still off the road after having rebuilt the booster/master cylinder and purchasing a complete brake package from Kanter and new SS brake lines.

The delay....... as my business partner's wife used to say, "Life Just Gets In The Way". My other excuse... I live in what used to be the Automotive Capital of Canada, Windsor Ontario (just announced Feb 8/12 we lost that title to Oshawa, Ontario production number wise). From 2008 till now things just are not what they used to be and........ like my relatives in Michigan (which I think might have been hit even worse) just getting by. What has happen now is, with sitting up on jack stands, the rear trany seal has dried out (not uncommon with dynaflows) and needs to be rebuilt so......... while not undoable, time, cost and priorities are in play still.

OK so..... time to get off the whine box and .... my youngest boy said last week that it would be nice to get it back on the road this summer. Guess time has slipped away and he is right!
    Doug
    BCA# 35039
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2011KanasPhotoCrop1.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	190.0 KB 
ID:	117721  
    Last edited by Caballero2; February 12th, 2012 at 10:17. Reason: correct typos

Images

Why thank you Caballero2 for the compliment, I appreciate it.
    I'm not going to mislead anyone on the condition of the car though. It has many a hard mile on it and it shows. See I bought it when I was in High School back in 1972 as my every day vehicle, had lots of fun with it and naturally never had enough money to consider restoring it. Fortunately decent storage was never an issue and being a BUICK (and convert) made the decision early to keep it knowing that model would be tough to afford later in life. Dad had brought me up with antique cars which I now own also so...... as has been said before, Rust Is In My Blood.
    Love your Caballero too! Should my ticket ever come in would love to have a 58 or 57 wagon. Might have something to do with the image and my age but the lines on hardtop wagons just have not been captured since (IMHO).

Now, with 4 inches of the white stuff on the ground today, back to making a work plan for getting her ready this summer.
    Doug

This a great question and one that should be asked before you buy a classic car as I learned the hard way.
    Especially when you hear the phrase "well, it was driven here where it is parked".
    Found out the lil' ol' lady drove it there after church 22 years previous to when I bought it.
    Cut the pistons out with a torch.

Images

(I'm HAPPY for those that are DRIVING their Buick, I thought we would hear from MORE that have Buick's that have been sitting A LONG, LONG TIME.)

Thanks to others also that had a good word for my Special. Thought I'd offer up an additional response to the statement above.

Not only was the Special my 2nd car purchased, I bought this '58 Roadmaster convert in 1974 (my 3rd car) continuing my love for '58 Buicks.
    As you can see by the picture I never had it on the road but it did drive on and off the trailer and has been in good storage while I have picked up most of the parts needed to put it back in shape for a paint job at some point. This one will be the retirement project so........ no folks, it is not for sale.

Does that fit the question, been sitting for a LONG, LONG TIME?

p.s. That's my '58 Limited in the background too. (another story)
    Doug

Name:	58 Roadmaster -  March 1990.jpg 
Views:	207 
Size:	302.2 KB 
ID:	117750  

dei, GOOD FOR YOU.......

I know there are MORE stories/cars like this out there, so come on, SPEAK UP.

OH, by the way dei, is your 58 Roadmaster vert FOR SALE, LOL. hehehe

Don't you just LOVE the GOODWILL radio ads where they MAKE FUN of us car guys.

Dale in Indy

Images

Dale in Indy,

Nooooo...... the Roadmaster is not for sale. Never hurts to ask though, ha ha.

Some may see these stories as hoarding and never completed projects but...... this is my....... hobby, not a business or getting rich kind of thing. I'd love to have the expertise Smartin is showing he has with his 58 Limited and his thread is inspiring me to get myself in a position to accomplish some goals with my cars now. That kind of posting (and others) makes one realize just how involved (and what one can do) before taking on a car restoration to whatever level one can afford.

After I bought the Roadmaster, came down to your "Circle City" about 1975 to see a '58 parts car listed in Hemmings looking for front fenders. It was an auto wreckers located on the Northwest side. Went on a Saturday early (I thought) and was told they closed in one hour! Was told I could take it off myself but needed to be out before the dogs were turned loose! Fortunately the bolts came loose easily and managed to get the whole left side complete with trim, headlights (T3's) and inner panels for $40.00 bucks. Wish that was today but........
    For me half the fun is getting there and with having the Special on the road at the time, it was all good.

Before this turns into the '58 thread....... anyone else?

My Limited story later, Doug.
    BCA# 35039

Images

Depends on which car, my '56 Roadmaster, I last drove in Nov., when I put it away for winter storage.

My '41 Roadmaster coupe has been under restoration for about 10 years, but it has been off the road now for 25 or 30, as the previous owner hadn't driven it in a number of years. Before I started on the restoration I used to start the '41 and move it around my property till about '01 when it went in the garage and to be taken apart. I'm hoping that it will be out of the garage in the next few weeks or so, and on the road in the spring.
    Keith

INSPIRATION, OH what a POWERFUL word.

Yep, most of us need INSPIRATION now and then. Just today after reading some posting I was inspired. I love detail work, so my arty side went to work on a 36 Buick round grill emblem. You see I make arty things out of the likes. I have 4 of these emblems, under the chrome of the Buick script is SOLID COPPER, I love copper, so polish it up.

I have made a scaled enlargement of the 36 piece, it is approx. 18" in diameter, and am working on adding to it, soon.

Well, anyway thanks for the stories, hope more will find their way to the site.

Dale in Indy

P.S. I knew the 58 wasn't for sale, just giving you a hard time.

Forever, lol. It's a '52 super convertible, which I bought in October of 2010. I bought it from someone who had it sitting in a chicken house for 10 years, and he bought it from another fellow who had it sitting in a field for who knows how long. (thanks to trimacar for that info) I would guess that it hasn't been on the road since the early '60s. I really need an entire floor/trunk pan for it, which is going to be a challenge to find. Luckily, the frame/body mounts are solid and the engine isn't stuck. It needs little in the way of parts that are hard to find, aside from the aforementioned floor/trunkpan.
    Last edited by retirednow; February 12th, 2012 at 17:37.

Sr (grey-haired) Member Rob McDonald's Avatar

DEI (God of the '58s), I know what you're getting at here - is the joy of owning a classic Buick dulled by one's inability to drive it? I say, no. What keeps us going is the faint but desperate hope of one day getting the old dear running. That's why we get all fired up by threads on this Forum. They confirm that real people, just like us, can accomplish a great deal, if they eventually commit the time and spend whatever money they can.

I last drove my Roadmaster about 15 years ago. It ran just as sweetly as it had ten years before, when I rebuilt the engine, brakes, and suspension. On that last drive, however, the Dynaflow was dripping at an alarming rate and the brakes were all grabby from fluid leaks. Rust does sleep but hydraulics? Not so well.

I'm now repairing these storage-incurred damages. I expect to drive the car again within the next few weeks, although the transmission will just have to keep leaking for a while longer. I'm not prepared right now to pull the power train again - maybe next winter.

Before spring - that's May in these parts - I want to install the weatherseals (bought years ago) and polish and install the stainless trim (including a bunch that's NOS - again, bought years ago). After making sure the lights, horn, and wipers still work, I'll throw a blanket over the front seat - likely a Hudson's Bay blanket, the Mexican kind being rather scarce around here.

I'm then going to drive, drive, drive this magnificent car. I want to share it with the world, while gasoline is still available and before regulations forbid the transport on public roads of relics of a politically-incorrect bygone era. Around here, anyway, old cars don't appear on the streets nearly often enough. I hereby pledge to do my part to remedy that.
    Rob McDonald
    1957 Buick Roadmaster model 73A, owned since February 1973
    1962 Valiant Signet
    1967 Valiant 100, daily driver

I got my 62 Electra out last weekend and drove it around the neighborhood...if that counts. I have brake problems that I haven't had time to figure out and am nervous about driving outside of the neighborhood.
    Brian Page
    1962 Electra 225
    BCA# 38111

How long has my car been sitting or not running or both?

Well, when I bought mine in southern california in March of 2010, I was told that my car although it had a 1984 sticker on the plate had not been on the streets since 1970. Since all the service records stopped at that time I had no reason to not believe them. All this according to the lil ol lady who reportedly had owned it since new. A story completely backed up by her now retired school teacher niece, who was the lady that brokered the deal for me.

So a few months pass after buying the Roadmaster and getting it back home, I was sitting around one rainy evening in the shop and decided to clean up the Buick's California black plates. Upon which I thought I would kinda do some geological detective work. They are black plates and have the month/year stickers staked and caked on them year upon year. Now the plates indeed said April 1984 but I wondered if their story was correct if indeed it had last been on the road in 1970. I reasoned, if this was true, there should then be a 1970 sticker under that 1984 sticker. So, with a couple of beers for courage, I set about carefully peeling the 1984 sticker off to behold indeed a 1970 sticker! This would jive with all the maintenance records that suddenly stopped November 25, 1970. According to the sellers it had been reregistered in 1984 but not driven, since the mileage on the last 1970 record had stated 59,450 miles and the odometer now currently reads 60,040 miles. But it could of been started, run or even driven after 1970.

To continue, I also was still curious and carefully pealed back the remaining stickers as not to damage them but just to see what years were revealed. I found the next sticker was 1968, then 1966 then the last one was 1965.
    I do know, In 1963 California changed from the yellow plates with black lettering which they had used since 1956, to the black plates with yellow lettering and everyone got the new black plates that year in 1963.

This raises some other interesting questions however. Was the original owner ol lady the original owner and bought the car new in 1957 as reported to me, or in 1965 as the maintenance records do not go back that far? If she owned it since new I would assume the sticker on the black plates would of gone back to 1963 or 64 in sync with the black plate issue. Also, in 1963 I am not sure if california gave you new black plates along with the 64 sticker on the plate or a black plate with 63 sticker or just a black plate then in 64 you got a 65 sticker? I will have to find out about what went on back then regarding that.

This still remains a mystery that I would like to solve. I have posted some photos showing the sticker years for you other "detectives" out there. Let me know what you think and maybe we can solve the mystery?

Name:	PICT1351.JPG 
Views:	30 
Size:	667.6 KB 
ID:	118406   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PICT1355.JPG 
Views:	25 
Size:	886.7 KB 
ID:	118407   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PICT1361.JPG 
Views:	32 
Size:	745.7 KB 
ID:	118408   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PICT1363.JPG 
Views:	23 
Size:	660.1 KB 
ID:	118409   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PICT1352.JPG 
Views:	50 
Size:	881.4 KB 
ID:	118410  

David - BCA # 45902 - 1957 Roadmaster 76A Coupe, 60K Survivor - RR & 731 and 1957 Roadmaster Model 75 4-door w/58K

..." Silly monkey Master, he continues to hold onto the fruit in the jar when the gardens outside are full with fruit - he should just let it go".. " I am pleased Grasshopper that you are wiser than the monkey "..." Oh I am much wiser Master" ..." I would hope you remain so, and know when it is time to let go of those things which no longer serve you but force you to serve them"

Quote Originally Posted by 414TATA View Post
    Drove it Tuesday. The weather has been great mid to high 60's F. I have been enjoying my Buick.
    I wanted to drive it today but I didn't get out of the garage.( as another poster said, life got in the way), I did finish the wax job I started last week and I think it looks great even if I say so myself.

Photo is prior to recent waxing.

Wayne B.
    1941 Super 51
    what a car your 41 I think they look sleek like a coup
    mike

Images

Quote Originally Posted by buick man View Post
    This still remains a mystery that I would like to solve. I have posted some photos showing the sticker years for you other "detectives" out there. Let me know what you think and maybe we can solve the mystery?
    I have two sets of CA black plates that came from pre-63 cars and they both have '64 stickers on them. I did the same thing you did by peeling everything but the last sticker from both wells. I have never seen a '63 sticker on a black plate only on a yellow one. A late friend of mine actually had a set of yellow plates issued in late '62 and the rear one had one 63 sticker on it and nothing else. It came from a car his dad had bought new in '62. The following year he was issued the black plates.
    I don't think any yellow plates were allowed to be on registered cars after 63 in CA. Did you peel the stickers of the right tab well? Maybe there's a 64 lurking underneath?
    ~DJ~

There's nothing like that old car smell.

1956 Ford Fairlane Town Sedan 30K original miles

Used to own:
    51 Cadillac Series 62 coupe
    63 Buick Riviera
    63 Dodge Dart 270 2dr sedan
    63 Ford F-100 Custom Cab
    67 Cadillac CDV Convert
    68 Cadillac SDV
    70 Ford Maverick
    72 Chevy Impala Sport Coupe
    72 Ford Courier
    73 Ford Gran Torino Hardtop Coupe
    74 Mazda RX-4 Coupe
    77 Plymouth Volare Premier Wagon
    77 GMC Sierra Grande 4X4
    + many more...

Well I found out that in 1963 there were no stickers just the new plate issued. For 64 you got a 64 sticker and so on... They did the same thing when they issued 56 plates. Then in 57 you got a sticker. That year the color was red with black number.

I pealed the entire stack off of the plates and the last photo shows the 1965 sticker. Perhaps the car sat for a year and then they tagged it in 65 since according to the following stickers it seemed about every other year was skipped and it most likely just sat.

So I would conclude that the story they gave me was most likely accurate.
    David - BCA # 45902 - 1957 Roadmaster 76A Coupe, 60K Survivor - RR & 731 and 1957 Roadmaster Model 75 4-door w/58K

..." Silly monkey Master, he continues to hold onto the fruit in the jar when the gardens outside are full with fruit - he should just let it go".. " I am pleased Grasshopper that you are wiser than the monkey "..." Oh I am much wiser Master" ..." I would hope you remain so, and know when it is time to let go of those things which no longer serve you but force you to serve them"

Quote Originally Posted by Bleach View Post
    I have two sets of CA black plates that came from pre-63 cars and they both have '64 stickers on them. I did the same thing you did by peeling everything but the last sticker from both wells. I have never seen a '63 sticker on a black plate only on a yellow one. A late friend of mine actually had a set of yellow plates issued in late '62 and the rear one had one 63 sticker on it and nothing else. It came from a car his dad had bought new in '62. The following year he was issued the black plates.
    I don't think any yellow plates were allowed to be on registered cars after 63 in CA. Did you peel the stickers of the right tab well? Maybe there's a 64 lurking underneath?
    Currently in California we have what's called the YOM ( Year of Make ) program. The Cliff Note version of this is basically you can use any plate during the issue run but have to have the year sticker on the plate that corresponds to the year your car is. For example, the issue runs in California for the yellow plate went from 56-62 and the black plates went from 63-69 and in 70 the blue plates were started but you could get black in 70 as well for that year so I have been told. The month goes on the left and the year on the right. In 1963 I have now been told that just like in 1956, the 1963 plates had the number 63 stamped into the plates for the start of that issue run. Then the next year you got corresponding current year stickers.

That is interesting your friend had a yellow plate with a 63 sticker as I have never seen a 63 sticker due to the above info. Ah the mystery continues. But with said, there are guys on the internet that make the stickers as well as the plates. Legit? Hmmm. However, according to the California DMV, the stickers have to be original and the plates have to be original not new copies to be legit! Now I suppose some may find an old sticker and copy the serial number of the sticker as well as the plate. I could see that would be feasible as taking off these old stickers is hard to do without destroying them. But the catch is the DMV checks the records for both the plates and the sticker plate and serial numbers before they grant you all the bragging rights to use them. Of course they don't carbon date them for authenticity.
    Last edited by buick man; February 18th, 2012 at 12:00.

Images

OK Guys & Gals,
    Here is my third 1958 Buick car & pics.

Dad had purchased a 58 Limited 2 door as an everyday driver (we did not know how low production they were then) early in 1968 for about 75 bucks! It had 85,000 miles on it but performed well getting him back and forth to work 120 miles every day for almost two years before it broke the rear universal joint Xmas of 1969. Being 16, I wanted a car of my own and he offered it to me if together we changed out the u joint. This was no small feat having limited tools (no pun intended) and only a carport to work in.
    I drove that car till 1974 and logged approx 60,000 miles on it myself (a really enthusiastic new driver) plus what Dad put on those two years and that 364 never missed a beat. However.... all that diving and being in the salt region of Canada had taken it's toll on the body and..... as previously posted I had a running 58 red convert on the road too so.... no rocket science here, sadly retired the Limited to a barn.
    Answered an ad in Cars & Parts regarding a Limited in Cleveland in 1983 and the car was identical to my Limited, colour, options, everything! Problem... while a running car, the guy had the trany rebuilt and when installing it, had connected the linkage backwards on the firewall (found out later) so would jump into reverse right away!!! Decided to take the front clip off to replace the usual under the headlight bad metal panels... marriage, mortgage, kids, life... and here I am today.
    BUT........ still have all four 58's !

Rob, thanks for understanding what is going on here. It sounds like your situation is somewhat similar with your car. I think with having driven my cars so long and storage available, for me it has been too easy to say, some day I`ll get to them.

Time is moving on though and with BCA membership, threads like Adams and other technical postings my inspiration has been ignited to get some progress done. It may be slow for awhile but.... baby steps.

As to plate stickers...... my convert has the plates issued on the car still from 1973. That was the last year here in Ontario, Canada that new steel plates were issued yearly. I remember it well as... everyone in the Province had to get their plates on or before Feb 28th. Like all good procrastinators, there I was, sometimes standing in the looong line out the door in the Canadian cold. I like the month of birth sticker system much better!

Pic1 - My Cleveland Limited - 57,000 miles showing on odometer. Before deciding to take front clip off.

Pic2 - Sadly, has become a parts car. Rust was/is so bad the frame comes off in the hand and the truck can be lifted off the frame. Still... many good parts and glass.

Pic3 - One of many storage moves with all three cars. I found many good dry barns and drive sheds, while dusty, saved the bodies. Naturally had to feed the mice but never had any damage or hungry critters.

Doug
    BCA# 35039

Name:	58 Limited - March 1990 - Leamington.jpg 
Views:	188 
Size:	407.2 KB 
ID:	118678   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	58 Ltd - April 2009.jpg 
Views:	237 
Size:	520.5 KB 
ID:	118679   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	58 Buicks - All three March 1990.jpg 
Views:	210 
Size:	356.3 KB 
ID:	118680  

Sr (grey-haired) Member Rob McDonald's Avatar

DOUG, I do like those outrageous Limiteds. I'm actually glad that I've always been constrained for storage space. If not, I'd end up as one of those old coots who leaves his widow with 40 acres of rust and unfinished dreams.
    Rob McDonald
    1957 Buick Roadmaster model 73A, owned since February 1973
    1962 Valiant Signet
    1967 Valiant 100, daily driver

Nice story Doug. I enjoyed the tale.

In the summer of 1973 I was working on a Highway crew doing 50 hours weeks. Good money for the times. My dad and I were driving around one Sunday afternoon and decided to hit the car lots as that was kinda a past time for us sometimes. We pulled into the local Oldsmobile dealership, and went around the back area that was open. Long and behold and I can still remember it like a frozen photo in time. There in the back of the lot was a 1957 Caballero station wagon complete with the accessory optioned roof racks. I had never seen a 57 Buick wagon before. My dad had a 57 special hardtop in the early 60's and a Century Convertible, but I did not even know they had made a station wagon.

We looked it over real good. Red and white cordavene interior in real good shape as was the dash, headliner with chrome spears and a basically real clean engine. Good body and glass. The car in the condition it was in would easily go for $ 16-20K today. I thought what was it doing out here as this is where the junkers sat to wait for the junkman. So with my extra pocket money I decided to call the dealership first thing Monday morning. I asked what was up with the Buick. They had taken it in on a trade but said reverse was out on the transmission and it over heats. I asked was it for sale and they said what would you give for it. I jokingly said $ 50 bucks. The sales guy knew my dad and said sure. I had the money in my pocket and paid him.

The Buick dealership was just done the street so I had them come and get it. They rebuilt the transmission and I put a 1960 Buick radiator in it after flushing the block and it ran real good after that. Seem to remember it had like 54,000 on the odometer at the time. Drove it through college and after. I still can remember the song of the deep but quiet dual exhaust tone as I would drive through local picnic parks and such or go out to the drive-in movies and turn the Buick around and lay in the back and watch the screen. That was truly a nice car. I miss it.

But, hey I don't want to Hi Jack the thread here as I digress...

Images

Hey Guys, Thanks.

As one fellow antique car guy told me once, every car has a story. I enjoy hearing (and sharing) stories of others too as to how they came to have theirs and why they like a particular car. To me that is another fun part of this hobby and sometimes leads to finding parts or (god forbid) another car!

Rob, there is a lot of truth in your statement!
    Being closer to 60 than 50 now (NOT that this should be considered an old coot - ha ha) I remember saying to my father about his 1928 Whippet, You should really think about getting her finished so you can enjoy driving it. He was 62 when I said this (bought the car in 1968 and this was 25 years later) as a project and I made the point that when he reached the age of 80, here in Ontario, we have to write our drivers license again and every two years thereafter. What if he did not pass for whatever reason and never get to drive the car?
    WELL...History is repeating itself when my son said almost the same thing to me at Xmas!!!!! YIKES! So..... time to get things moving again.

Her are a couple of pictures of the Whippet that had sat rusting away on a beach since around WW2 escaping the scrap drive, saved by a few and reworked some before Dad bought it with new wood, used wheels, used engine and old tires. Notice my now parts car Limited in the background?
    After giving me this car (and two other antiques) this past June, I had the honour and extreme pleasure to take him and the car to the Ypsilanti Orphan car show in September. Great day and memory of the smile on Dad's face. He will be 88 soon and losing his license due to his eyesight.

Name:	1928 Whippet - Leanington 1974 - pic2.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	167.1 KB 
ID:	118741   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_3147.JPG 
Views:	110 
Size:	1.26 MB 
ID:	118742  

Metro Detroit - in the cold north michigan.

Doug, awesome and scary at the same time! It is great that you both got the pleasure of working on and driving the car before the enevitable occurs..losing your license!

Like you said, your son gave you the gentle but swift "kick in the pants" about your car. I guess it is time to make a move forward. At least you have a personal boneyard to pick from, which is a great option to have, not to mention some really nice rides!

Keep the inspiration up and soon it will turn to perspiration on the restoration.
    Jim
    1957 Buick Riviera Estate Wagon - 49D -WIP (work in process)
    1957 Buick Special - Model 48 2dr Sedan (BCA Gold Senior)
    1969 Pymouth Road Runner 2dr HT- 440 4 Speed
    2005 Ford Mustang Convertible
    BCA #45059

Images

Jim, scary IS right! or... maybe a bit of mid life crisis going on?!?

I never stopped going to swap meets while the cars were on or off the road all these years so have always been on the look out for parts that I know will be necessary to keep them going. My one son who indeed kicked me in the pants, is going to University here for Mechanical Engineering, has the car disease too and has taken an interest in the Buicks. We have spent some time together recently going through the very full garage pointing out and now labeling what goes where just in case... and to figure out what might still be needed to starting the lets call it, "resurrection process" for now.

Persperation, being self employed, has never been an issue but in this case means progress and accomplishment. Maybe I will start a thread and post progress like a Adam does with his car, hmmm.....

Well enough about me. To others, How long has YOUR car been sitting?

Doug
    BCA# 35039

Name:	1958 Buick Special - Aug 1984.JPG 
Views:	365 
Size:	1.81 MB 
ID:	118758  

Metro Detroit - in the cold north michigan.

So..here's the story of "Old Bessie"...

My first car that was mine, was a 1957 Chevy Bel Air - 2 Dr Htp, senior in HS. Great car...302 / 300HP with a Muncie 4spd. A really fun car for a 18 yr old back in '77. I cut my teeth on that car with learning extensive body work (Replaced both full quarter panels, rocker panels, trunk floor) - all with oxy/acetylene and brazing rod. Had to do it cause I didn't have the kind of cash the body shop wanted for the work. Learned how to paint a car on that vehicle and most of my apprentice work. Had the car through college and into my first job and when I first got married. As I owned that car, I thought it would be cool to own a vehicle from every make of GM for 1957..I don't know why, but I am magnetically drawn to that year of vehicles.

Well, back in 1985, I was at work one day, kubbitzing around the coffee machine with a fellow car nut (Model A's - to each his own) when he asked me if I would be interested in an old Buick that his neighbor had and wanted to sell. I asked him what year. Said he didn't know but thought it was s 50's Buick. He wanted $400 for it. I said I would like to look at it (heck - kick the tires, etc). Got to his neighbors house and it was a 1957 Buick..I was elated! One more piece to my GM Puzzle. He had started re storing it (well, like was posted earlier by Rob..it really was a shell and old boxes of parts that he had taken off..) He started it about 5 years earlier and then, like the rest of us, marriage, kids, job - got in the way of the restoration. His wife said it needed to go since he hadn't worked on it in 2 years.

I asked him where he got the car from and the story is very cool. He bought the car from his next door neighbor where he grew up (maybe a mile from his current house). When he was a kid, he would always ask the guy that he would like to buy the car if he ever wanted to sell it. Well, time passes and in 1981m the old man tells the guy the car is his if he wants it. He pays the guy and takes it home.

The interesting thing of the previous owner (old man) is that he lived with his mother next to guy until she died, then he lived alone. He purchased the car new in 1957 from Logan Square Buick in Chicago, and drove it as his daily driver. As he was quite old, he developed cataracts in his eyes and could not see to drive. He had last registered the car in 1965, his last year of driving. From that point on, he would start the car up, let it warm up, then back it up and down the driveway three times a week. The car was always stored outside, since the old man's house did not have a garage. He did this up until he sold it to the guy I bought it from.

Well, when I heard that story, I was dumbfounded! The odometer when I got the car read 15,205 original miles. I was a bit skeptical, but the doors didn't sag when opened and shut and clicked shut nicely. I figured if it was 115,205 the hinge pins would be worn a bit, like my Chevy's were at 95K miles.

Well, on 6-13-85, with $400 handed over to the guy, I was the proud owner of a 1957 Buick Special 2 Door Sedan with the following features: Floor pans completely rusted through (thank you jute backed rubber floor mat in Michigan weather), fried interior top surfaces (thank you clear windshield and back glass and hot sun), boxes of parts, and an engine / fuel pump that shoots gas out into the hood! Man I was in heaven! More to follow...

Here are some pictures of the car when I first got it:

Name:	1957 Buick -1981 picture.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	107.0 KB 
ID:	118775   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1957 Buick - 1981 picture2.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	139.2 KB 
ID:	118776   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1957 Buick - First Home 1985.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	92.0 KB 
ID:	118777   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1957 Buick - First Home2 1985.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	103.8 KB 
ID:	118778   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1957 Buick - Unrestored Engine - 1985.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	78.2 KB 
ID:	118779  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1957 Buick - Unrestored Trunk.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	73.5 KB 
ID:	118780   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Unrestored  Engine Compartment.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	160.4 KB 
ID:	118781   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1957 Buick - Engine Compartment 1986.jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	152.8 KB 
ID:	118782   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1957 Buick Drivers Floor - Pre Restoration.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	131.8 KB 
ID:	118783   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1957 Buick - Interior Pre Restoration.jpg 
Views:	257 
Size:	122.4 KB 
ID:	118784  

Jim
    1957 Buick Riviera Estate Wagon - 49D -WIP (work in process)
    1957 Buick Special - Model 48 2dr Sedan (BCA Gold Senior)
    1969 Pymouth Road Runner 2dr HT- 440 4 Speed
    2005 Ford Mustang Convertible
    BCA #45059

Trying to reinstall all the parts I removed from my 37 Buick 24 years ago to get it rolling. I am sending it out to a local shop for a "Driver restoration". They said that they could have it done for the BCA meet in North Carolina this June. So far this week. Sorted out boxes of new and NOS parts I purchaced over the years,some more than once!... Had to remove the shoes from the left front(locked up) because of broken springs and the right side was adjusted but still a bit of drag. Reinstalled clutch (the original cause of it's lay-up). Last night got the transmission up high enough (with a web sling)to get it on a jack. Hope to install tomorrow. Then the axle and springs.
    Larry
    Trying to reinstall all the parts I removed from my 37 Buick 24 years ago to get it rolling. I am sending it out to a local shop for a "Driver restoration". They said that they could have it done for the BCA meet in North Carolina this June. So far this week. Sorted out boxes of new and NOS parts I purchaced over the years,some more than once!... Had to remove the shoes from the left front(locked up) because of broken springs and the right side was adjusted but still a bit of drag. Reinstalled clutch (the original cause of it's lay-up). Last night got the transmission up high enough (with a web sling)to get it on a jack. Hope to install tomorrow. Then the axle and springs.
    Larry

Larry
    Larry
    Larry
    I bought my 1937 Buick model 41 in Feb 1987. Had a glorious 57 mile drive home from Holidaysburg,Pa where I purchaced it. That is till I reached the intersection of Rt 915 and Rt 30 when the clutch blew out! Very embarassing roll-back ride home. I was going to suprise my parents who were comming for a visit. I guess I did! The next day a friend and I pushed it into the garage and other than putting it on jack stands. It hasn't moved since! Fast forward to Feb 2012.... Trying to reinstall all the parts I removed from my 37 Buick 24 years ago to get it rolling. I am sending it out to a local shop for a "Driver restoration". They said that they could have it done for the BCA meet in North Carolina this June. So far this week. Sorted out boxes of new and NOS parts I purchaced over the years,some more than once!... Had to remove the shoes from the left front(locked up) because of broken springs and the right side was adjusted but still a bit of drag. Reinstalled clutch (the original cause of it's lay-up). Last night got the transmission up high enough (with a web sling)to get it on a jack. Hope to install tomorrow. Then the axle and springs.
    Larry

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information