Page 29 of 29 FirstFirst ... 19272829

Thread: 1958 Limited Four Door Riviera

Images

Re: 1958 Limited Four Door Riviera

Smartin, I've not chimed in from San Diego for a while, although I do keep tabs on your magnificent project from time to time.
    For what it's worth... free advice... If you have the opportunity to replace the wiring with new, I'd strongly encourage you to consider that option.

Here's why: Plastic wiring is water proof... but it is porous and over the decades, becomes hard and brittle, and more porous. Herein lies the problem, because moisture does get to the copper conductor and it corrodes it over time. Ever notice that really old wire is tarnished when you do strip it? Braided or twisted wire is ever worse. So what? Well, the physics of electricity is that the current flows on the outside of the metal conductor and the corrosion raises the resistance in path of the electricity. That's one reason old cars have dim lights in spite of solid clean connections at the terminals. It's also a prime reason that high amperage leads like battery cables and starter cables are frequent problems. Resistance cuts current flow and raises temperature, degrading the insulation, allowing more corrosion... repeat cycle to failure.

I know personally the best $165 spent on my old Skylark was the new rear body harness. I've also spent a lot of time in really old Navy airplanes with really old wiring (sniff... sniff... "Hey, you smell something burning?"). With a Buick, you could hitch home, but it'd be a sad day.

Best regards,
    John Chapman
    San Diego

Metro Detroit - in the cold north michigan.

Adam, I bought my engine harness from Rhode Island Wiring - whole harness from the firewall connector to the engine and all parts. Also bought a starter harness was well. The whole system set me back around $350, but man, it is worth it to have new wires. They were extremely helpful and the instructions were superb as to what connectors you have to use from your old harness (just the plastic protectors - no wires). www.riwire.com. Family run business, and they will build you a harness, if you send the the old one as well. Don't know the costs on that, but if your 58 Limited has a peculiar harness, they will build it, with the right gage and factory color wiring. Just sayin.....
    Jim
    1957 Buick Riviera Estate Wagon - 49D -WIP (work in process)
    1957 Buick Special - Model 48 2dr Sedan (BCA Gold Senior)
    1969 Pymouth Road Runner 2dr HT- 440 4 Speed
    2005 Ford Mustang Convertible
    BCA #45059

Images

I'm pushing Hobart to the side for a couple months while I sort out the Roadmaster I just picked up.
    Adam Martin
    BPG# 1358
    BCA# 39765
    1960 Buick Electra 225 Convertible
    http://www.antiqueautomotiveservice.com/images/logo_top.gif

What ROADMASTER??????

Dale in Indy

Do I need to read all 700 plus posts, LOL

Sr (grey-haired) Member Rob McDonald's Avatar

Hobart? When did the Limited get a name? And why Hobart?
    Rob McDonald
    1957 Buick Roadmaster model 73A, owned since February 1973
    1962 Valiant Signet
    1967 Valiant 100, daily driver

Images

I might not have mentioned Hobart's name in this thread, but it's been that way for a long time.

Here is the thread I just started on the Roadmaster:

http://forums.aaca.org/f163/another-...er-341424.html
    Adam Martin
    BPG# 1358
    BCA# 39765

Images

Hobart.... Maybe because of all the welding necessary?
    Mike Middleton

http://www.midtownrestorations.com
    Regional Co-Director South Central Region BCA
    Vice Director Alamo Chapter BCA
    Assistant Chairman BCA Driven Class

1955 Special 2 dr. sedan (BCA Gold Senior Driver)
    1955 Century convertible (Updates at Me and My Buick http://forums.aaca.org/f163/55-centu...ct-272999.html)
    1955 Century Estate Wagon (Driven Hard and Fast)
    1948 Buick powered hot rod
    1931 Model A hot rod

Images

Fitting, eh?

My sister actually looked at one of the photos I originally posted, and just out of the blue said that his name is Hobart. It stuck.
    Adam Martin
    BPG# 1358
    BCA# 39765

Quite a build Smartin!
    Chris Gossweiler
    1954 Buick Special 48D. It is a 264 and nothing more.
    BCA#-46800
    I adore my 54!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jWYdKAIQX4

Images

I thought I would be really upset about doing this, but the decision was glaringly obvious to me once I laid out all of the options.

Since buying the 58 Roadmaster, the thought of selling the Limited had been running through my head. At first, I was going to turn around a make a quick buck on the Roadie, but some issues with it started coming up and snowballed a bit...so I bailed on the sale for the time being. I knew that keeping both cars was not an option, so I thought about the prospect of selling the Limited. The cost of finishing the Limited far outweighed the cost of repairing the issues on the Roamaster. PLUS, I have an instant car to drive again. Decision made.

How the heck would I ever sell the car in the state that it's in? Well, I wouldn't. The car would have to be reasonably completely assembled, and I would then list it on ebay. So, assembly began.

All of the trim was installed. Hood, trunk lid were installed. Bumpers, taillights, headlights, grille, windshield (front and back) were laid in and secured. Seats, dashboard, etc.... Holy crap, it looks like a car again!

I found a few parts that I no longer needed or had duplicates of, so I listed them on ebay. Two of the Limited-specific parts were sold to someone in Sweden. After the auction was over, he asked me if I had any other Limited parts. I said, "Yes, I have a whole car!" I told him what I needed to get out of it, and a deal was made. Two weeks later, the transport company was sitting in front of my house. I was sure to shoot several videos of the car just before it was loaded, in case it was damaged in transport.

Off he goes!

Before you all ask, this has nothing to do with my recent engagement. In fact, she insisted that I keep the Limited. She does love the Roadmaster, though. It made too much sense NOT to sell the Limited. So, I'm sorry to say, this project has come to an end. Maybe someday when I have a bigger garage and a bigger money tree, I can have a Limited. For now, the Roadmaster will do a great job of filling my need
    Adam Martin
    BPG# 1358
    BCA# 39765

Senior Member jackofalltrades70's Avatar

Adam,
    Congrats. I think!? Sometimes we have to make decisions we wouldnt have made before another situation arises. You now have a very beautiful complete car you can enjoy now and the limited hopefully will be finished and the new owner will keep us posted on the rest of the restoration.
    Matt

Images

I heard about this a while ago. I think it's great. Enjoy driving the Roadie Adam .
    Mike Middleton

http://www.midtownrestorations.com
    Regional Co-Director South Central Region BCA
    Vice Director Alamo Chapter BCA
    Assistant Chairman BCA Driven Class

1955 Special 2 dr. sedan (BCA Gold Senior Driver)
    1955 Century convertible (Updates at Me and My Buick http://forums.aaca.org/f163/55-centu...ct-272999.html)
    1955 Century Estate Wagon (Driven Hard and Fast)
    1948 Buick powered hot rod
    1931 Model A hot rod

Images

I look at it this way: you have learned some new skills, can be proud of the work done, and now know to buy a better car to start with . I want a ride in the Roadmaster with the Flightpitch!
    Willie
    http://forums.aaca.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=30648&dateline=124664  3804
    55 Centurys: 63; 63; 66C
    1951 Ford F-1 with 264 nailhead
    1976 Olds Delta Royale
    People who use tools bleed a lot!
    Nobody has too many friends!
    BuickRestorer

hi adam, i would bet the guy who bought your limited project is a guy named tron, i've seen more of his 58 buick limited, and 53 buick roadmaster collection in storage out in fresno, ca. charles coker, 1953 pontiac tech advisor.

Images

Adam,
    You brought that Limited a long way from what it was when you got it, and helped ensure it will survive into the future.
    I'm sure after all that work it was hard to see it go.
    Dale

Current Buicks...None. :-(
    Past Buicks. '66 Riv / '70 Rivs (2) / '90 Riv / '72 Skylark / '72 LeSabre / '72 Electra / '96 LeSabre / '92 Park Ave. / '96 Riviera.

"The guy who invented the first wheel was an idiot. The guy who invented the other three, he was a genius.". Sid Caesar

i am sure going to miss the finish product. beautiful car

Images

Quote Originally Posted by pontiac1953 View Post
    hi adam, i would bet the guy who bought your limited project is a guy named tron, i've seen more of his 58 buick limited, and 53 buick roadmaster collection in storage out in fresno, ca. charles coker, 1953 pontiac tech advisor.
    Wasn't him. His name is Morgan. Younger guy, looks like he has at least one other Limited coupe.
    Adam Martin
    BPG# 1358
    BCA# 39765

Images

Sorry you sold the Limited Adam. I remember when you got it you said you could cross off an item on your bucket list. Looks like you'll need an eraser for that scratch mark. But your decision is understandable. After all, how many can you drive at once anyway.

I thank you for the countless hours of toil and documentation that have provided many more countless hours of reading and inspiration. Between you and Bob Beck we have all seen the impossible come to life right on this PC screen. My hat is off to you and him and hopefully we can thank you in person at Southbend this summer!

John C. De Fiore BCA # 3757
    56 Super 56R: acquired September 1974 :D
    69 GS 400: Convertible Added in 2003 :rolleyes:
    69 Electra Limited 2 dr. bought 1995 or so. Sold March 2009!
    72 Electra Limited added July 2014...
    78 Estate Wagon: added 10-2008 :cool:
    95 Riviera Supercharged: added May 1998. Sold September 2006
    06 Lacrosse CXL Purchased July 4th 2006. Traded in Aug 2013
    2013 Regal GS acquired Aug 2013 ( thanks to the La Crosse)

"Yes! I'd really rather drive my Buick!"

Member of the UPSTATE NY CHAPTER
    check it out at : http://unybca.com

amen to that john,few others on here i hope to meet in south bend,4 bufords from ct

Metro Detroit - in the cold north michigan.

Adam, thanks for your enjoyable thread on the restoration process. I have learned a great deal, especially in the detail where the devil lives, following your posts on this thread. I understand completely your decision on this. It is not an easy one, but one that made the most sense, especially with the Roadie, and the life changes that are going to follow soon. Better to have one to enjoy that is running and needs a little here and there, than one that will chew up all of your time and $$$. You have chosen wisely!!

Looking forward to posts on your Roadmaster thread, with more pictures of course. Will you be in South Bend with it this summer? Would like to meet you!
    Jim
    1957 Buick Riviera Estate Wagon - 49D -WIP (work in process)
    1957 Buick Special - Model 48 2dr Sedan (BCA Gold Senior)
    1969 Pymouth Road Runner 2dr HT- 440 4 Speed
    2005 Ford Mustang Convertible
    BCA #45059

Images

My goal is to get the Roadmaster to South Bend. I think it is a realistic goal. It's the vacation time I need to make sure I can get!

Thanks for the kind words on the Limited everyone. I never saw myself selling it, but you can't see into the future. I now know that it's a much better venture to find a car that is in solid shape to start with next time. My late friend Hank always told me the way to buy a car is to make sure that 2 of the 3 major components of the car are in good condition (Body, interior, engine). Otherwise, you guarantee you'll be upside down on it...unless, of course, you stole it.
    Adam Martin
    BPG# 1358
    BCA# 39765

As you have found over the course of time, priorities do change and its wise to not become attached to material items. Thats one of my biggest fears on my current restoration since its dragging out longer than expected. I keep praying nothing happens to chnage my course until its done. Based on everything you mentioned its sounds like you made a sound decision that you won't regret especially with the Roadmaster in the garage. Fortunately you have the wisdom to objectively list out the facts and make a decision based on them. Some things are just meant to be. That Roadmaster is one beautiful car. Good Luck with it and all the best to you and your new fiance.
    Jason Zerbini
    (Near)Pittsburgh PA
    ROA 775 / BCA 29707
    Board President, ROA
    Check out ROA right here http://www.rivowners.org/

"Buy Once - Cry Once" "The Quality remains long after the price is forgotten"

Adam:
    Your progress with your Limited gave me a great deal of inspiration. You may recall that I had a Limited convertible for the last 10 years that was quite rough. I had great dreams for that car but never got around to starting on it. When I read your story I truly believed a hobbyist could gain the skills necessary to make my dream Limited a reality. I, too, then found that the financial price tag was so high that it would have prevented my completion of several other near and dear projects of mine. Those other projects, like your Roadmaster, could be completed, used and enjoyed today. As they say, I realized I was not getting any younger and had to make the decision to sell the Limited. The party that bought my Limited has the means and the ability to bring the dream to a reality. In the end we are but caretakers of these vehicles. I am confident I made the right decision about my Limited. I think you did as well. One sad reality of both sales though is that these beautiful American icons are both leaving the USA and will likely never return. Good luck with the Roadmaster!

Sr (grey-haired) Member Rob McDonald's Avatar

Good for you, on making a solid, well-thought decision. Now, if I could just get some overseas saviour to take my basket case off my hands...
    Rob McDonald
    1957 Buick Roadmaster model 73A, owned since February 1973
    1962 Valiant Signet
    1967 Valiant 100, daily driver

Page 29 of 29 FirstFirst ... 19272829

Thread Information