Thread: 1953 Buick Special

1953 Buick Special

Hey all. I just got my first oldie but goodie! It isn't even at the house yet and I am super excited. I look forward to all the things I am going to learn, including the swear words. I will get some pictures posted soon.

Re: 1953 Buick Special

Welcome to the forum skylark! You won't find a more helpful and friendly source of information and advice than the guys who frequent this forum. How bout telling us a little about your project? Condition, plans for it, etc? I'm looking forward to the pictures. As for the swear words, there will be plenty of those to come!! I find they help get things done(or at least make you feel better when you bust a knuckle or two!). Hope to hear from you soon! Good luck with your project!
    BCA #46402
    KFOCI #10647

1952 Buick Special Deluxe 41D (Lucy)
    (My Dad And I Finally Have A Project Car)
    1953 Kaiser Manhattan (Linus)
    (Another One?! But I'm Not Even Done With The Buick Yet!!:p)
    1979 Thunderbird Town Landau
    (Highly Neglected Since I Got My Buick)
    1977 Thunderbird Town Landau
    (My First Car Given To Me By My Uncle w/ 20,000 Original Miles & Wrecked In 2004(not my fault) w/ 70,000 Miles, R.I.P.)

I am not smart enough at 11 pm to figure out how to post a picture so that will have to wait. The condition isn't too bad. It has all the chrome, gauges, and dials. There is a little rust on both rear tire wells and some on the floor board in the front. I will need a windshield and passanger window. The passanger is flat glass so that wont be a problem.

Of course after about 60 years the interior is wrecked and it needs a lot of TLC. I have a good engine and tranny and the suspention and steering is OK. I am aware that I have no idea what I just got my self into.

As far as my plans for it I would like it to look like it just rolled off the line. My pocket book probably wont allow that so I would just love to be able to drive it. I do not want to modify it in any way and want it to look like it was meant to.

'34-S40-M41

Welcome from the Pre-War side as well . Robert is right there are great people on these forums most are eager to help. I'm glad to hear that you intend to keep her the way she was when she rolled off the assembly line. Good luck on your project. Mark

hi everybody
    i am skylarks fiance (lucky me!) and i have photo's of the car she just bought.
    here we go

Senior Member jackofalltrades70's Avatar

Very nice and looks workable! I see two engines?? Did one have a problem? front bumper and grill look really nice! With some elbow grease and lots of determination, mixed with a whole lot of $$$$ and you're gonna have a beautiful car!
    Matt Whitaker
    BCA#45694
    AACA#996555
    1947 Buick 56C (used for parts on the Roadmasters) but still have her carcass
    1947 Buick 56C (waiting to go pick her up. Complete parts car)
    1947 Buick 76C
    1948 Buick 76C
    1956 Buick Super 4 door
    1977 Corvette

"Handle every stressful situation like a dog, If you cant eat it or play with it, just pee on it and walk away!":D

BTW
    you guys dont know how proud i am of my girl for jumping into a project like this.
    heck
    most guys wouldnt do it.
    but she is made of sterner stuff

Quote Originally Posted by jackofalltrades70 View Post
    Very nice and looks workable! I see two engines?? Did one have a problem? front bumper and grill look really nice! With some elbow grease and lots of determination, mixed with a whole lot of $$$$ and you're gonna have a beautiful car!
    one engine runs great and the other is tired but runs.

Very solid looking Special! I restored a '53 Special 2-dr. hardtop a couple of years ago, so if I can be of any help, don't hesitate to contact me. My '54 Special is from Farmington, New Mexico--probably the same dealer, although mine has no insignia on it. I have a few '53 Special parts, not a lot, but some.
    Why can't I meet a woman who loves old Buicks enough to buy one?! I'm impressed.
    Pete Phillips, BCA #7338
    Leonard, TX.
    1949 model 59
    1950 model 76-R
    1954 model 48-D
    1959 Electra 2-dr. hardtop
    1962 Electra 225 4-dr. hardtop
    1963 Wildcat conv.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Phillips View Post
    Very solid looking Special! I restored a '53 Special 2-dr. hardtop a couple of years ago, so if I can be of any help, don't hesitate to contact me. My '54 Special is from Farmington, New Mexico--probably the same dealer, although mine has no insignia on it. I have a few '53 Special parts, not a lot, but some.
    Why can't I meet a woman who loves old Buicks enough to buy one?! I'm impressed.
    Pete Phillips, BCA #7338
    Leonard, TX.
    1949 model 59
    1950 model 76-R
    1954 model 48-D
    1959 Electra 2-dr. hardtop
    1962 Electra 225 4-dr. hardtop
    1963 Wildcat conv.
    did you have rust issues like she does?
    i am trying to find patch panels for the rear fenders.
    that lip looks a lttle tough to fabricate

those old cars sure put the classy in classic.looks like a fun project.and the knowledge on this forum is scary good.

Aww Billy your gunna make me blush!

Thanx everyone for the welcome. It seems like there are a bunch of good people here and it is nice to be a part of this community.

Quote Originally Posted by jackofalltrades70 View Post
    I have decided to pretend that everything is free and I pay with Monopoly money. Not real sure how long this will last but it makes me happy for now.

After months of delay and several moves, Farmington to Belen to San Marcos to Austin and back to Albuquerque, the engine is getting some attention. The mechanic, JP, is going to see how it runs here in a day or two. Then on Tuesday I am going to be cleaning and putting some elbow grease to use. I am so excited to finally have the time to get started for real this time.

I really need to start looking for a windshield.

Hi everyone. I have never restored a vehicle before. I have been looking at a 1953 Buick Special. All trim and chrome are there. Engine runs Automatic transmission, interior is rough body is in good condition. Glass intact all the way around. Is this a really difficult restoration project typically? I understand that all restorations can be difficult, I was just curious if come cars are less difficult than others. Any advise would be appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by skylark2025 View Post
    .....I really need to start looking for a windshield.....
    Still looking? You might want to call on this ad, currently on the local Craigslist. Big Lake is just Northwest of Minneapolis, Minnesota.

1953 Buick special - $25 (Big Lake)
    I have a 53 2 door Buick special with clear mn title to be parted out body is very rough good windshield
    and back glass no drive train call or text with needs 763-486-2869.

A BUICK MASTER BODY PARTS BOOK lists the windshield as being the same for both a 1953 Model 41D (your 4-door Tourback Sedan) and as what is shown in the above pic/CL ad, a Model 48D (2-door Tourback Sedan). You might also want to verify with the seller whether it's a clear or tinted windshield, just to make sure that's what you're looking for.

Al Malachowski
    BCA #8965
    "500 Miles West of Flint"
    Last edited by 1953mack; March 31st, 2014 at 02:08. Reason: added pic

Thread Information