Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1952 Buick Super

1952 Buick Super

My dad's first Buick was a 1950 Buick 4dr Special. I was old enough to help my father work on the car. I remember taking cross country trips in the summer with the car. My father liked Buicks and purchased three more - 1958 Special, 1963 Wildcat, and 1974 Electra.

My first Buick I purchased in 1973 is a 1969 Riviera (I still have it). I have wanted to get an older Buick like the 1950. My son and I found a nice 1952 Buick Super in Cleveland, OH and made a three day cross country trip this past year to pick up the car from a private party. It is in great shape with no missing parts. It has been garaged with no rust except for some pitting on the chrome. I have the original owner’s books and records. The car is original with everything working. The paint shows one re-spray. Original interior including the Mohair headliner is in great shape.

Plans are to have my son cut and buff the paint, as it shows to be dull and oxidized, general cleaning up and polishing, replacing rotted gaskets and rubbers, and finally enjoy driving her with my family and grandkids.

Last edited by 2Buicks; April 19th, 2013 at 06:06.

Re: 1952 Buick Super

I would like to add that I look forward to this forum and meet like minded Buick owners.

Ben Bruce BCA# 44599 First Born's Avatar
    Images

2Buicks, that is one beautiful automobile!!! Welcome to the forums and may I be the first to invite you to join the Buick Club of America.

Ben
    1995 Park Ave
    1950 Super Mod 52
    1950 Special Mod 41D Second owner

Welcome to the forum 2Buicks! That is a beautiful automobile. I love that paint color. Do you know if that is the original color or was it re-sprayed in something different? Do you have any pictures of the engine and interior? I'm looking forward to hearing more about this one.
    BCA #46402
    KFOCI #10647

1952 Buick Special Deluxe 41D (Lucy)
    (My Dad And I Finally Have A Project Car)
    1953 Kaiser Manhattan (Linus)
    (Another One?! But I'm Not Even Done With The Buick Yet!!:p)
    1979 Thunderbird Town Landau
    (Highly Neglected Since I Got My Buick)
    1977 Thunderbird Town Landau
    (My First Car Given To Me By My Uncle w/ 20,000 Original Miles & Wrecked In 2004(not my fault) w/ 70,000 Miles, R.I.P.)

Thank you Ben and Robert for the welcome.

Robert, no its not the original paint, I am not 100% sure it is a Factory Buick color, but I am sure it is a GM one.
    I can post pictures of where they masked off and the original shows through. The paint is an older respray, as my son is in the process of cutting and polishing it. He says its old and very well cured. He also says it has quite a bit of oxidation and doesn't know if it ever was cut and buffed when they painted. I laugh as he complains how BIG the Buick is.... he is used to newer smaller cars.

I will also take some pictures of the Interior and engine compartment. It has the Fireball Straight 8 and runs like a top. We believe it has only 65K+ miles but can't confirm.

Thanks again for the welcome. I have been lurking on the forum for a while now and this is a great place.

Images

Another SUPER car! and judging by the background in your pictures, I think the Buick is going to love that new home too.

Drive it like you stole it....

Images

A really beautiful Buick! Thanks for joining us here and sharing your Buick story and wonderful new Super.
    Brian Laurance, BCA #5168

1959 Buick Electra 4-door hardtop
    1971 Buick Centurion Formal Coupe
    1990 Buick LeSabre Limited Coupe
    1996 Buick Riviera Coupe
    2005 Buick LeSabre Custom Sedan

Images

Oh MY, just my kinda car. Can't wait to see the interior. Welcome and welcome to that beautiful 52. I love the rear fender trim and the sombrero wheel covers...amongst a bunch of other things
    Last edited by MrEarl; January 29th, 2013 at 22:20.
    Lamar in Athens, Georgia
    BCA- 39474
    ROA - 14537

1954 BUICK - THE BEAUTIFUL BUY
    1954 Roadmaster 76R, 2 DR HT - DoraB
    1954 Roadmaster 72R 4 DR - Buttercup
    1954 Century 66R 2 DR HT 3 Speed - '54 Muscle aka Morning Glory
    1954 Special 41D 4 DR Deluxe Sedan-The Blue Bird
    An assortment of 14 '54,'55,'56 parts cars

No dog ever peed on a moving Buick

Beautiful Buick, And Beautiful Scenery where you live! I wish I could wake up and look out side and see that every morning.

Took some photos today of Engine compartment and interior.

Front Door panels...

Rear door panel...

Mohair headliner...

Here is the difference in respray color vs Original color

And here is the paint after my son Cut and Buffed the paint....

Last edited by 2Buicks; January 31st, 2013 at 21:53.

Images

You made out like a bandit....
    http://forums.aaca.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=30648&dateline=124664  3804
    55 Centurys: 63; 63; 66C
    1951 Ford F-1 with 264 nailhead
    1976 Olds Delta Royale
    People who use tools bleed a lot!
    Nobody has too many friends!
    BuickRestorer

Images

That is One SUPER looking Super. Love it.

Brian Flynn,
    Victoria, Australia
    ----------------
    BCA Member 42088
    Buick Car Club of Australia (Vic)

1934 8/40 Sedan
    1955 Special Riviera 2 Door Hardtop

Thank you for all the great comments and warm welcome.

I am switching my efforts from the car's exterior to start working on minor problems I have identified. My list includes checking out why the defroster is not working, why the trunk and interior dome lights don't illuminate (bulbs are OK), and why the gas gauge always shows 1/2 tank. I have a 52' Buick wiring diagram, so I will be checking out the circuits and any switches. I think the only way I can check the gas gauage is to drop the fuel tank and pull the fuel tank sender out. If anyone has ideas on the fuel gauge reading error, I would appreciate.

I noticed some color change in the door jamb, does that tell the story on original paint?

Dale in Indy,
    Dale in Indy
    DOB 1937

*1941, Buick Limited
    *1946, Buick Roadmaster
    *1940's, Whizzer bike
    *1957, France motor scooter
    *1940, Rexner tether car
    *2012 1946, 25" scale model of the Detroit parade float.
    *1963 John Snowberger 24" hand formed Indy car, # 98
    *2013, 27" Art Deco model of 1941 vision of a TRUCKS TO COME, by me.
    *30" model of the 1940 GM FuturLiner, by me.
    *30" model of the GOOGLE LOCOMOTIVE, by me.

Wow. She's a beauty! Thanks for the additional pictures. Whoever did the re-paint must have tried their hand at re-painting and re-stickering the engine too. Some of those decals are in some odd places. She sure is beautiful though. I love those pictures above where the chrome bumpers are reflecting that deep blue sky. You should drive it every chance you get! I know I would.

On the gas gauge, you are correct about having to drop the tank to test the sending unit. The good news is that dropping the tank is very easy. Even easier if you have a jack to put underneath the tank to lower it down. One thing you could try before you drop the tank would be to check that you have a good ground on the fuel line. The sending unit grounds via the metal fuel line that comes out of the tank and clips to the frame rail. If you don't have a good ground to that fuel line, your gauge will behave erratically. That happened to me a while back and fellow forum member Mike(buick5563) helped me out on that one. Keep us updated and enjoy that Buick!
    BCA #46402
    KFOCI #10647

(My First Car Given To Me By My Uncle w/ 20,000 Original Miles & Wrecked In 2004(not my fault) w/ 70,000 Miles, R.I.P.)

Images

I clicked on the wrong 52 Buick thread and thought "Wow, Robert has been kicking butt in the last week!" (I hadn't had my coffee yet and just saw 52 Buick)
    Great car. Welcome aboard.
    Mike Middleton

http://www.midtownrestorations.com
    Regional Co-Director South Central Region BCA
    Vice Director Alamo Chapter BCA
    Assistant Chairman BCA Driven Class

1955 Special 2 dr. sedan (BCA Gold Senior Driver)
    1955 Century convertible (Updates at Me and My Buick http://forums.aaca.org/f163/55-centu...ct-272999.html)
    1955 Century Estate Wagon (Driven Hard and Fast)
    1948 Buick powered hot rod
    1931 Model A hot rod

Ben Bruce BCA# 44599 First Born's Avatar
    Images

Good eye, Robert. A decal on TOP of the cover. Have not seen one there before this one.
    I am envious of this owner/car!! What a beauty.

Ben
    1995 Park Ave
    1950 Super Mod 52
    1950 Special Mod 41D Second owner

Quote Originally Posted by smithbrother View Post
    I noticed some color change in the door jamb, does that tell the story on original paint?

Dale in Indy,
    The picture of the door jamb is to show what the original color was and after the re-spray. There are other areas on the car I can take pictures that show the two different colors. Those areas are in the trunk and on the lower surface of the fenders.

2Buicks
    Last edited by 2Buicks; February 1st, 2013 at 12:50.

Quote Originally Posted by shadetree77 View Post
    Wow. She's a beauty! Thanks for the additional pictures. Whoever did the re-paint must have tried their hand at re-painting and re-stickering the engine too. Some of those decals are in some odd places. She sure is beautiful though. I love those pictures above where the chrome bumpers are reflecting that deep blue sky. You should drive it every chance you get! I know I would.

On the gas gauge, you are correct about having to drop the tank to test the sending unit. The good news is that dropping the tank is very easy. Even easier if you have a jack to put underneath the tank to lower it down. One thing you could try before you drop the tank would be to check that you have a good ground on the fuel line. The sending unit grounds via the metal fuel line that comes out of the tank and clips to the frame rail. If you don't have a good ground to that fuel line, your gauge will behave erratically. That happened to me a while back and fellow forum member Mike(buick5563) helped me out on that one. Keep us updated and enjoy that Buick!
    Thanks,

I saw your website about what you went through to solve your fuel indication problem. I had a similar problem on my 69' Riviera fuel pump that is located in the fuel tank. I ended up adding a second ground between the fuel tube and the body. Thank goodness I did not have to drop the tank since there is an access panel in the trunk floor to get to the fuel pump and sender.

2Buicks
    Last edited by 2Buicks; February 6th, 2013 at 16:43.

I am trying to locate some used and/or replacement parts (NOS). What are some good websites to use. I have viewed/searched Cars, Inc, Steelrubber.com, Buickfarm.net, Bobsautombilia.com, clasicbuicks.com, e-Bay, and Amazon websites.

2Buicks

Maintenance Craftsman chevy_dude97's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 2Buicks View Post
    defroster is not working, why the trunk and interior dome lights don't illuminate (bulbs are OK)
    First off, beautiful car! What a great find! Welcome welcome to the forum!

On to your issues... First thing is first your defrost/rear heat share the same fuse. If one works and the other doesn't test the blower located in the pass side air duct. Be very carful as there is a connector on the power line to the fan(do not mistake it for a simple butt and cut the wire) You can then test it right there by applying 6v using a jumper or something creative.

As for the interior lights try checking the door switches first. I used electric cleaner and cycled with my hand for a few minutes and got mine to function properly.

And the same goes for the trunk light, mine sticks sometime and requires coercing....

I too noticed the top stickers and the fact there are 2 stickers on your oil canister, could you possibly post up some close up engine bay pics?
    1951 Buick Super 4D 263ci dynaflow "Under Construction"
    1968 ElCamino SS (SOLD)
    1972 Chevell Malibu SS Clone (SOLD)
    1984 Camaro F41 (RIP)
    1996 Camaro SS M6 (SOLD)
    1997 Camaro Z28 (SOLD)
    2008 Chrysler T&C

Images

Very Nice!!
    "Bulldog" James Miller BCA 46346

Thank you for all the great comments.

Here are two close up pictures of the oil filter. You can see from the second picture the top decal is loose on the left hand side. Please let me know which location is correct for the '52 Buick Super. The top decal calls out "...AC P-127 Element" while the lower decal calls out "...AC F-127 Element".

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1310227 revised.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	197.2 KB 
ID:	177070 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1310225 revised.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	138.1 KB 
ID:	177069 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1310226 revised1.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	310.2 KB 
ID:	177084 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN2962 revised.jpg 
Views:	370 
Size:	369.5 KB 
ID:	177085
    Last edited by 2Buicks; April 19th, 2013 at 06:15.

Hmmmmm....when I click those attachment links I get this: "Invalid Attachment specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator". Something must have went wrong when you posted them. Anyway, here are a few reference pictures I have showing the correct locations of the engine decals. For the most part it shows the correct colors as well. Except for the oil filler cap is not supposed to be black. The oil filter can is NOT engine color. It is bright orange on top with a genuine blue color on bottom. Please note also that one of the engine stickers is missing on this particular engine. It is missing the rectangular "This Engine Is Equipped With Hydraulic Lifters" decal. Apparently, different Buick plants placed that sticker in different locations over the years but from my research I believe it was most commonly placed where the yellow arrow is in the photo. Let me know if you have any other questions about engine colors or decals. I've done a lot of research on those lately as I am currently in the process of restoring my engine compartment.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Engine - Brand new battery was $146  DSC_0895.JPG 
Views:	589 
Size:	339.1 KB 
ID:	177005   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Engine - Spark plug wire cover is in trunk - most Buick guys take off DSC_0892.JPG 
Views:	39 
Size:	629.6 KB 
ID:	177006  
    BCA #46402
    KFOCI #10647

Thank you for your comments.

I don't have any records of what may have been done in the engine compartment from prior owners. I updated the pictures from my earlier posting to show the oil filter and added a left and right side view of the engine compartment. The VIN ID indicates this car was manufactured in Kansas City, KS.

I will provide pictures later after I take off air filter to better show valve cover decals.

2Buicks
    Last edited by 2Buicks; February 7th, 2013 at 16:48.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information