Thread: Who is in the "Know" about 58 Buick Wiper Systems?

Who is in the "Know" about 58 Buick Wiper Systems?

I have a question regarding the 1958 Buick wiper system.

In 1957, Buick installed the vacuum pump at the end of the oil pump inside the pan. Just where is it for the 1958's? From the photo of a 58 Buick engine bay as shown below, it appears to look the same as the 57 setup with vacuum lines as well but the windshield washer jar moved over near the master brake cylinder.

I ask this, since I am told the 57 setup was a one year gig only and that 58 did it differently since the "pump n da pan" idea apparently did not work out that well in the long run.

Did Buick go back to the dual vacuum fuel pumps or did they have another way of increasing the needed vacuum to necessary to accommodate the needs of the wide swept Cam-O-Matic wiper system.

Any insight on this would be appreciated.

David
    David - BCA # 45902 - 1957 Roadmaster 76A Coupe, 60K Survivor - RR & 731 and 1957 Roadmaster Model 75 4-door w/58K

..." Silly monkey Master, he continues to hold onto the fruit in the jar when the gardens outside are full with fruit - he should just let it go".. " I am pleased Grasshopper that you are wiser than the monkey "..." Oh I am much wiser Master" ..." I would hope you remain so, and know when it is time to let go of those things which no longer serve you but force you to serve them"

Re: Who is in the "Know" about 58 Buick Wiper Systems?

Here are photos of the 58 engine bay showing the vacuum setup.

Also, what is the correct part numbers for an A/C rated radiator as well as the part number for the non A/C radiators for 1958 Buicks?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	58 Buick Engine Bay.jpg 
Views:	370 
Size:	100.0 KB 
ID:	107109   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	58 Buick Engine Bay22.jpg 
Views:	291 
Size:	45.6 KB 
ID:	107110  
    David - BCA # 45902 - 1957 Roadmaster 76A Coupe, 60K Survivor - RR & 731 and 1957 Roadmaster Model 75 4-door w/58K

..." Silly monkey Master, he continues to hold onto the fruit in the jar when the gardens outside are full with fruit - he should just let it go".. " I am pleased Grasshopper that you are wiser than the monkey "..." Oh I am much wiser Master" ..." I would hope you remain so, and know when it is time to let go of those things which no longer serve you but force you to serve them"

What no 58'ers?

My understanding is that the vacuum pump is inside the oil pan for '58 as well.

Radiator part numbers are listed as
    1.219 Radiator
    *3140932 1 1958-40 Conv. trans
    1958 D.F
    *3139736 1 1958 F.P.

Apparently, no different radiator for A.C., only for the flight pitch transmission.
    Last edited by bhclark; November 29th, 2011 at 15:19.
    Brian Clark
    BCA Vice-President 2014-2015
    BCA BOD, 2012-2015
    Treasurer, 1959 Division of the BCA
    Director, Greater Cincinnati Chapter
    http://www.buick-59.com/phpBB3/index.php
    http://www.cincinnatibca.org/
    "A New Generation of Great Buicks!"
    1958 Super 2 dr Riviera (SNOW WHITE)
    1959 Invicta 4 dr ht (LUCILLE)
    1965 Wildcat Custom Convertible (ROXANNE)
    1990 Reatta Coupe
    1996 Roadmaster Estate Wagon (FEZ)

BCA #41596, 1959 Div #0003, RDIV #2118

Thanks Brian. I chatted with a 58 guy on another site. He said the same thing. Spun and tested his pump out of the car with a drill. Says it was the only way he could use a vacuum gauge to see if it created vacuum on a non running car. Thanks for the radiator info as well!
    Last edited by buick man; November 29th, 2011 at 19:02.

What I did on my 58. Throw that 58 oil pump out! It is trash. Get a later model...like a 59. I tried to use a stainless vacuum pump from the "best" maker. It also rests beside the 58 oil pump in the junk pile. Way to noisy...it even blanked out the motor noise. I finally tapped the intake to get great vacuum pressure to run my Newport wiper system. No problem with the new power brakes either.

Yes I have heard that the Buick 59's are great oil pump units. What is a Newport system? Is that as in Chrysler Newport?

We have bigger avatars! Smartin's Avatar
    Images

The problem with tapping into the intake vacuum is that when the engine is under load or at WOT, there is little or NO vacuum. What happens when you need to accelerate to pass when it's raining?
    Adam Martin
    BPG# 1358
    BCA# 39765
    1958 Buick Roadmaster Four Door Riviera
    http://www.antiqueautomotiveservice.com/images/logo_top.gif

East foothills of the Colorado Rockys near Loveland

Maybe this thread will help. The '58 system is just like the '57 except the location of the washer bottle/pump. - Dan

http://forums.aaca.org/f162/1957-wat...in-285390.html

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Smartin View Post
    The problem with tapping into the intake vacuum is that when the engine is under load or at WOT, there is little or NO vacuum. What happens when you need to accelerate to pass when it's raining?
    Adam, it appears the Newport system is 12 volt electric. Not endorsing it, just saying, that's all.

John C. De Fiore BCA # 3757
    56 Super 56R: acquired September 1974 :D
    69 GS 400: Convertible Added in 2003 :rolleyes:
    69 Electra Limited 2 dr. bought 1995 or so. Sold March 2009!
    72 Electra Limited added July 2014...
    78 Estate Wagon: added 10-2008 :cool:
    95 Riviera Supercharged: added May 1998. Sold September 2006
    06 Lacrosse CXL Purchased July 4th 2006. Traded in Aug 2013
    2013 Regal GS acquired Aug 2013 ( thanks to the La Crosse)

"Yes! I'd really rather drive my Buick!"

Member of the UPSTATE NY CHAPTER
    check it out at : http://unybca.com

We have bigger avatars! Smartin's Avatar
    Images

I was referring to post #6 about tapping into the intake vacuum tee.
    Adam Martin
    BPG# 1358
    BCA# 39765
    1958 Buick Roadmaster Four Door Riviera
    http://www.antiqueautomotiveservice.com/images/logo_top.gif

........ " well what happens when it's raining and you have to pass?

Well for me I have always liked the way those vacuum wipers slowed things down like a black strobe light out somewhere on the dance floor

Especially during those tense few moments when passing on a two way hi-way, up hill into on-coming traffic while fighting the dark with dim headlights, the wind and smothering rain

It has always made time, well sorta stand still. Kinda for those few brief suffocating moments as your secondaries kicked in on your big Carter, .......Whaaa-Roooom.... and echoing to the tempo of the blood plowing up and through the back of your cold neck

At that moment, the wipers wouldn't really stop and freeze mid-way on the windshield - It only seemed that way as it was the momentum, the momentum

The sensation of free flight and momentum - that is all there is for those brief few moments in time

... and then the final gush and swerve of centrifical force chasing your place back into the right lane before meeting your premature destiny head-on.

(C) by buickman 2011

Ben Bruce BCA# 44599 First Born's Avatar
    Images

VERY GOOD DAVID. VERY GOOD!!

Ben
    1995 Park Ave
    1950 Super Mod 52
    1950 Special Mod 41D Second owner

Thread Information