Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 35 Airflow spare tire cover

Images

Re: 35 Airflow spare tire cover

yes John mine have a gap about that amount and it scared me. I'm going to pull the trunk lining out of the 36 to get a good look at things. I'll take my camera and get some good photos instead of my phone photos. I was lifting on on the rear corner of the C-2 trying to decide if flexing or bending was going on, it was a very crude experiment with nothing to report.
    I was on a mission today, when I got my AACA magazine I started going through it back to front. One of the first things I see is a 39 Chrysler 8, rebuilt, $400.00. I couldn't get to the phone quick enough thinking for sure I was going to get a "sorry it's sold". Today I picked it up, (had to drive about 500 miles with the first 40 miles on snow covered roads) but it has a perfect exhaust manifold. I didn't get to really check the engine yet I got home in the dark and the engine is still in the back of the truck, but the manifold rode inside with me. It's like winning the lottery!
    The 39 C-23 engine has the different style water pump.
    Can this engine fit in the engine bay of the airflow with this style pump? Hopefully the C-2 aluminum head proves to be usable and I believe from what I read it should fit the 39 engine. I read the article on how to modify a newer head if the C-2 head is no good. I should be able to configure any special piping as I was once a pipe fitter.
    Will I be able to mount the Airflow dampener and fan from the C-2 engine to the crank of the newer engine?
    That's all I'm going to ask now because I don't want you to get mad at me!
    Thanks,
    Jay

Jay,
    The C23 engine block would fit into the C2 but only after many changes were undertaken.
    The engine bell housing / clutch housing would require swapping and maybe you may have troubles tyrying to get the starter motor to fit as I think that the C23 has a full length water jacket and its starter motor solenoid was rotated away and down from the upright position as per the C2.
    Also remeber that the electrics on the C23 are Autolite and on the C2 they are Delco Remy.
    The front of the engine is different on the C23 as it had a water distribution tube in behind an adaptor plate at the rear of the water pump.
    I dont think that you can swap over pumps.
    Also if the C23 were to fit it would be very tight between the pump pulley and the C2 radiator cross bar support.
    The front engine mounts are different and you would have to remove the front of the C2 and take the engine plate adaptor off from behind the cam wheel and swap everything onto the C23.
    The C2 head will fit on but if you elect to keep the C23 head then the top outlet must be blocked off at the head and a side outlet cut into the C23 head.
    The C23 head has higher comp than the C2 head and this increases its performance no end.
    The oil pans are different and whilst they will fit either engine I think that you may find that the oil pickup in the crankcases are totally different and would require reconfiguring.
    Let me know how you are going with it and sorry for the delayin getting back to you
    Cheers
    John Spinks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1030382.JPG 
Views:	41 
Size:	425.7 KB 
ID:	115739  

Images

John I appreciate your time and can understand a delay, That's a lot of information! There is more to consider than I realized. Live and learn, I have only dealt with our 48 and 50 New Yorker eights and was surprised to see a few changes in the block between those years and also found there are a few different solenoid configurations. I will continue to study the rust issues in the rear and think about the engine in the front.
    Thanks again,
    Jay

PS When it comes time to remove the head, is it going to be a bugger? I've been soaking it with penetrating oil regularly and don't expect to even try to remove it for a while. I know aluminum doesn't seem to get along well with other metals.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo09221617.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	211.4 KB 
ID:	115780  

PS When it comes time to remove the head, is it going to be a bugger?

Probably. I am waiting with interest to see how you get on. My SE six has an alloy head which has never been off. It may need it one day and I am not looking forward to that.

Getting it off is one thing. Removing it without wrecking it in the process is another! I suspect that there will be corrosion between the head studs and the head itself. I presume that the cylinder head gasket will ensure that breaking the seal at the face should be no more difficult than with other engines.

One option might be to remove the engine and strip the bottom end (it needs it anyway) then use a length of timber to knock the head from up the bores.

Once the head nuts are loose, i would soak them further, then replace the nuts loosely and knock the studs side to side to free the corrosion. Ultimately, it would be better to sacrifice the studs, but drilling them away would be a pain.

Good luck!!
    Adam..

Hi Jay,
    The alloy head can be problem to remove but what you can do is remove the spark plugs and knock the porcelain centres out, grind off the grounding electrode and then purchase a few 6" long allen headed high tensile bolts and nuts of a size that will just fit up through the hole in the threaded section of the plugs.
    Insert a bolt through the plug body from underneath and whilst holding the bolt up screw the plug home into the head and nip it up.
    Do this in about 4 places like numbers 1,3,5 & 7 plug holes.
    Dont be concerned about the bolts dropping into the cylinders as this wont happen as the plugs are over the valves not the cylinders.
    DONT ROTATE THE CRANK.
    Purchase a piece of square thick wall tubing that is about as long as the head and drill a hole in the middle for an eye bolt.
    Drill corresponding holes in square tube that match the spark plug centrelines and assemble the square tube over the 6" long bolts and evenly tension up the nuts.
    Use an engine crane on the eye bolt and pull some tension on the bar so as to try to lift up head.
    If it doesnt come off immediately leave it hanging on the hook for a while with penetrating oil around stud holes.
    DO NOT remove the head nuts just undo them all even amounts so that if head does lift it wont cock and wedge itself.
    You may find that as the plug holes are offset across the head from the centreline the head may lift more on right side (your passengers side in USA) than the left so tension may have to be lert off the engine crane and the head knocked down a little with a rubber or wood mallet.
    I used this setup to get a frozen head off a C11 Airflow Limousine and this one took 3 days to remove.
    Finally the allen headed screws are suggested as they have a round head that fits into the plug holes perfectly as they are no bigger than the plug thread diameterand furthermore you can get them in grade 10 so they are very high tensile and wont snap.
    Cheers
    John Spinks

Jay,
    One further thing that will help is once the head has lifted insert sof wood vee shaped wedges between the head and the top of the engine block however this method can only be used on the left side only as a wedge on the right side could hit any open inlet or exhaust valve and they bend easy.
    Make wedges with a rather broad angle like say 45 degrees.
    Cheers
    JS

I like that plan!!

Ingenious, and a good chance of avoiding any damage. Clearly the voice of experience.

Adam..

Images

Thanks again John, I am going to have to ask yes and no questions. I appreciate you sharing your experiences even though it takes a page of typing to answer my questions. I can picture exactly the spreader bar I'll need to fabricate from your description and will heed your other suggestions.
    Adam, I'll post photos of my progress.
    Thanks,
    Jay

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information