Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Resto Rod ????

Re: Resto Rod ????

Originally Posted By: Matt Harwood

Or maybe you're yanking our chains and having a good laugh.

Looks like the Only Chain being Yanked is the one on the Hoist, Pulling out those Original Engines. [img]<>/cry.gif[/img] LOL
    * Asking Questions is a 'Good Thing', Since Learning is Always a 'Good Thing' *

Rick L.

Senior Member imported_Packard8's Avatar

Originally Posted By: superods
    I built the site...and I do it as i feel like it. I am hands on matt I love to build things...exqusite things...I like unique....things others do not have. I am building these cars...I will enjoy them and keep a few around always to enjoy. If a nice Caddy comes along...that Buick they only made 1800 of so the man says or even a nice older Stutz I am game. I just so happen to like 30 thru 34 Packards.

If he were so inclined, Bill Gates has the resources to buy Van Gough's self portrait and hire the world's best retoucher to replace that pesky missing ear and maybe paint some cool modern clothes on the poor guy too....... I mean do a really first class job [img]<>/whistle.gif[/img]

If classic looks and modern drivability are the goals why not just mate a rolling streetrod chassis to a repop body?

Once the cutting torch is lit there's no going back, and just because you can doesn't mean you should.............
    1949 Club Coupe
    1954 Patrician Henney Executive Sedan
    1954 Pacific Hardtop
    1956 Patrician Sedan
    1956 Caribbean Convertible

Not all the cars I own, or will own in the near future, will be refitted speedster. The 1930 733 convertible coupe will be dismantled, documented and researched and restored to 100% original. Also, I bought a nice 1934 Coupe from Bert Barber in Seattle last year that is shipping to me tomorrow. It has been partially restored and all the pieces and parts are there. It will also be restored to original. So say you are sorry speedster for all the raggin on me you have done. I want to buy a 30 to 34 Victoria, an older restoration to update to original too. Thats enough original stuff. So let me know if there are any deals out there Speedster on a Victoria.

Images

Twitch?....Twitch.....?

Nevermind, I already drank the ale to dull the pain - (although I'm not sure how it got in my mouth with all the head shaking).

Down to one.......

superods,
    I don't know If I can say I'm sorry yet, but I am Very Glad to hear that you plan to Restore some of them.
    Maybe 'There's Hope for YOU, Yet!' [img]<>/wink.gif[/img] LOL

As you can tell I'm still Joking around, So I'm not Bitter, and as long as Not Many of them get Rodded, I won't get Sad amd Bitter. [img]<>/wink.gif[/img]

Rick L.

Images

Quote:
    If you're highly skilled, and do exceptional work, then there may be some merit to these refits you're doing.

And I suppose if the basil and thyme I use on the condor are fresh then that Thanksgiving dinner's a little O.K. too? [img]<>/confused.gif[/img]

Matt, I don't care how well something like this is done:

Quote:
    We only use 5.3 and 6.0 vorteks with electronic 4l60 and 4l80E transmissions... 300 to 320 horse with good low end torque. Rick sells the hot rod engines. We do not need that for this application.

The full cradle independent suspension comes out of a 300 chrysler...E series Mercedes really. I buy the 290 gears v-6 version for 33 1/2 inch wide white michilin I put on a 17 x 5 packard replica wire wheels by Zenith Wire wheels in California.

...it's still being done to something that deserves a lot more respect than this. I'm sure this is being done out of admiration for the Packard form. That just makes it worse. Some people wear John Lennon t-shirts to show their admiration for his art. Others hang out on the Dakota's steps with a .38 in a vain attempt to wear his soon to be cold skin.

On an irreplaceable/already desperately rare object like a Full Classic Packard, this is legitimized carnage. It was a shame when the last restorable Willys 33s and Americars were sacrificed to the hot rod culture. It will be sad when the same thing happens to the last restorable '57 Roadmaster convertible or Nomad. This is beyond sad. This is losing the last of these cars period, in virtually each and every case, because they are unique creations different than the mass produced products that hot rodding was invented for. (In that sense they already were hot rods, uniquely built cars of high performance for their era. That that even has to said, and isn't already understood by all present, is sad.) [img]<>/frown.gif[/img]

When truly unique cars, with production numbers of less than 1000 and with the individual variablility inherent in 1930s luxury cars and with the terribly small survival rates due to the WW2 scrap drives, are forever lost to future generations for a toy that (at best) will hold interest for a decade or so even for it's inevitable series of owners (eventually to be chopped up even further to some other purpose which may or may not even be automotive in nature), then we've lost our way as curators of history.

I like condors, but I'm not going to shoot one and hang it around my neck until it stinks. [img]<>/sick.gif[/img]
    "The saddest aspect of life right now is that science gathers knowledge faster than society gathers wisdom."--Issac Asimov

"Whisper words of wisdom"--Paul McCartney

Images

Quote:
    So I'm not Bitter, and as long as Not Many of them get Rodded, I won't get Sad amd Bitter.

From my old "Lost Souls" thread I know of about 50, not counting 120s or other mass-produced Packards. Is that enough?

It was for me.

Yes, there are Many post-war cars of All makes that have been Chopped-up. I was mainly refering to pre-war Packards, since that is what 'superods' and others like him, have been destroying.
    I suppose it's because I've always wanted a '33 or '34 Packard to Restore and have never been able to find one I could affort, so it's like a 'Stab in the Heart' when I hear of people with a lot of money, 'Doing Harm' to them like that.

Rick L.

Images

superods, I did spend some time browsing your site after you clarified that additional photos were available. It seems that you are working on several cars, and desireable ones at that. I'm glad to see that the more complete ones are being restored, not cut up, and your workmanship looks very nice.

But it still saddens me to see that you seem to have a knack for finding clean, restorable, desireable Packards, only to "refit" them when you acquire them. It's clear that you have considerable financial resources dedicated to this pursuit. Are you doing the cars and then selling them, or do you have customers paying for the process, or do they send cars to you (or all three)? I didn't mean to come off as a jackass (which I may have, so I'm sorry about that), but I'm fairly passionate about this. I've always got my eye out for a restorable '33 or '34 Packard of any sort, and rarely find such beasts. It bums me out big time that you're apparently finding a lot of such cars and taking them out of circulation permanently.

Since I was a kid, I've dreamed of a Senior Packard in my garage (thanks to a big, blue '34 V12 club sedan that toured with us). The only way I'm going to get one is to buy one that needs a restoration and restore it myself. There aren't many of those left, and by the time I'm finished with the Buick, they may have been hunted to extinction or there won't be any gas left to power them. So I have a vested interest in not seeing these cars permanently modified.

Sure, my motives are somewhat selfish--I really want a 1933 or '34 Packard--but that doesn't make any of the comments about their loss less legitimate. History is one thing, and I respect it, but if you're cutting up cars and then waiting for a customer to buy it, man, that really saddens me. How about if I buy a car from you before you start work? Would you sell one as-is? I'd be interested, anyway. Like those poor abandoned dogs my wife sees on TV, we can't save them all by ourselves. But if I can save one, I'll do it.

I've long advocated doing what you want with your car. My Rodding vs. Restoring editorial actually argues in favor of rodding, although I point out that important cars should be preserved--if you're trying to be creative by building a rod, you can do it with a Ford. To me, it seems lazy to cut up a Packard then drop in the ubiquitous Chevy drivetrain just to have something different. You want to impress me? Build a rod like "Scrape" with a vintage V12 with vintage speed equipment. That took some creativity and craftsmanship and I respect it tremendously. The fact that it has led to a the virtual extinction of original Zephyr coupes is a very tragic side-effect, and that should make even you a little unhappy.

Now I won't tell you you can't do what you're doing or hope that you fail or something like that. I (and many of the others) just feel like these cars have earned the right to be what they are instead of becoming the flavor of the month in the rodding world. As Dave points out, rodded cars become dated--it's inevitable. How many teal/peach/yellow '38 Chevy 2-door sedans with American Racing 3-spoke "Blade" wheels, tan tweed interiors and multi-colored scallops are sitting around from 1989? Rodding is absolutely about fashion, and inevitably, most rods grow out-of-date.

In contrast, a restored Packard is timeless. It will always have value in original condition. Some rods are valuable when they're recently finished and perfect, but they depreciate just like any other used car when they are, well, used. Over time, the original Packard will always be more valuable in any condition.

This aspect is another thorn in many collectors' sides: it sure seems like a short-cut, quick-buck thing. Rodding is often easier and cheaper than restoring (yeah, it really is--for what I spent on rebuilding my Buick straight-8, you probably got at least the engine, transmission and rear end, and maybe even that trick front suspension for your Packard). The rest of my restoration will require the same things you do in your builds: bodywork, paint, upholstery, sub-system rebuilds, etc. I can't order new wheels or brake drums or steering racks or gauges out of a catalog. But I could easily take a crate engine, parts from a wrecked modern car, some pre-engineered suspension pieces welded to the original frame, someone else's pre-designed engine mounts, a bunch of stuff from Summit Racing and be on the road in a fraction of the time for a fraction of the cost. Would my rare Century rod be any more valuable than a virtually identical Special rod that is 20x more common? Doubt it.

You should have seen the flood of E-mails that I got when I wrote this. Wow, some folks were pissed.

I understand that you're working hard to preserve the original Packard features (clutch pedals in an automatic, for instance), but what's the point? You're not "preserving" or "restoring" the car, why retain redundant or obsolete features? You act like it's a virtue, but it's really a waste of time and money given everything else you're doing to the car, no? As I said in one of the other threads about this, it seems that you respect how a Packard looks, you just don't respect how it works. I guess I just don't understand the idea of refitting modern running gear but keeping it stock-appearing. Driving a vintage car is most of the fun of ownership. I don't think my Buick would be nearly as much fun if it drove like my Dodge Ram 3/4-ton pickup. I've already got one of those. What I don't have is a '41 Buick Century with 5-inch wide tires, 3-on-the-tree and a carbureted straight-8. I love driving our 1930 Model A roadster, I love the sounds it makes, I love the way it bounces over bumps, I love the double-clutching, I love the feeling of the ancient machine as it goes about its business at 40 MPH instead of 80. Would A/C make it more fun? Do I need a blaring 1000-watt stereo to make it exciting? Am I sick of working that clutch? Hell no. If I want all that, I own a pretty cool modern convertible I can drive any time I want. What I'm asking is this: what are you getting out of a stock-appearing Packard with an EFI Chevy and an automatic other than the ability to drive a "modern" car instead of a vintage one? Sure, a lot of people do it, but a lot of people smoke cigarettes, too. Like I said, it's fashion.

Why not build your rods with fake bodies and modern chassis? At this point, what does the original steel give you that a repro can't? Pull some fiberglass molds off that convertible you have (selling the original when you're done would more than pay for it) and build a bunch of those. I think you could make A LOT more money than doing a one-off, and still exercise your same standards of workmanship and quality over the finished product. It would probably even be a better car, given the ability to upgrade the chassis rigidity and to include other modern touches that just aren't present in the old steel and take too much work to reengineer. And I'm guessing that the guys buying these cars wouldn't care at all. They want the look, not the drive. An accurate repro would suit them just fine. Hell, it might even cost less to build!

On the other hand, it's really hard to develop new stuff. It takes a lot of intense thought, trial-and-error and talent to do such a thing. There aren't many folks with that much talent and ability. It's always a lot easier to buy someone else's pre-engineered parts out of a catalog and a crate motor and bolt them together. But innovation, engineering and hard work is what the true craftsmen at the top of the field do, and those guys have certainly earned everyone's respect. Maybe you're that talented, too, or you could be if you applied yourself.

All this still begs the question: Just how is cutting up an original better?

I know I'm all over the place here, but I'm just laying it all down from my point of view. I don't like desireable, rare cars being taken out of circulation for a fashion statement. I do like fine craftsmanship, whatever its form. I won't tell you what to do with your cars. Yet I want there to be a happy medium between the two factions. I don't know what that is, though.

Anyway, think about the repro thing. Everyone wins.

Regards.
    Matt Harwood (BCA #38767, AACA #987226, CLC #26668, CCCA)
    My driver:
    1929 Cadillac 341B 5-Passenger Sedan
    My project:
    1941 Buick Century Sedanette
    My business:
    Vintage Motor Cars

Well Said Matt. [img]<>/grin.gif[/img]
    I Agree Completely.

Rick L.

Images

So the bad hot rod man is not so bad now it seems, huh?

Superod- this forum used to be perused by people involved in hands-on Packard engineering which was dedicated to keeping cars on the road involving non-era and non-Packard parts substituted as needed for function. You know things like dual master cylinders and even GM HEI distributors or tranny swaps for disabled Packard automatics.

Of course none of these fixes were visibally evident yet contributed to keeping cars on the road, which is what I thought all this was about.

Images

Originally Posted By: Twitch
    So the bad hot rod man is not so bad now it seems, huh?

NO! I wouldn't say that.
    I'm just being polite. And I'll tell you it's getting harder and harder and harder......

I think you are also seeing;
    '... if you can't say anything good don't say anything at all...'
    Down to one.......

Eveyone needs to take a deep breath. I will keep any further comments within the frame work and the spirit this forum is intended. My apology to all those offended by what it is I am doing. I know full well there is a time and a place for everything. I should have considered that more before I spouted off.

Just want to make one thing perfectly clear though....I am not hot rodding....I am not resto rodding. My goal is for an enthusiast with knowledge, not to realize something is a miss till the key is turned.

And by the way. Anyone can strip any of my refits of all the new mechanicals and put them back to bone stock original. The only hacking done is a 2 inch by 3 inch cut out on the bottom side of the frame to attach the front arms of the cradle. I have the pieces and they go with the car. I say no more...you want to know anything else from this moment forward mail me if not then everyone enjoy your projects and this forum.

Just want to make one thing perfectly clear though....I am not hot rodding....I am not resto rodding. My goal is for an enthusiast with knowledge, not to realize something is a miss till the key is turned.

I also have problems with Terminology, but I believe that's what everyone calls a Resto-Rod. I've never heard the term Refit-Rod, until now. I know you are trying to convince everyone that you are Not 'rodding' them, but you Are. [img]<>/wink.gif[/img]

Rick L.

Senior Member imported_Packard8's Avatar

not to realize something is a miss till the key is turned.

Therein lies the rub...you've ripped the heart out of the car. In that era, Packard was at the leading edge of engineering and quality production. Nothing like opening the hood of a V12 and seeing what "state of the art" was in the 1930's.

Much different than going to the local street rod Show 'n Shine and seeing row after row of (yawn) Chebby small blocks sitting in the engine bays....... [img]<>/sleep.gif[/img]

Your cars, your money...knock yourself out..........
    1949 Club Coupe
    1954 Patrician Henney Executive Sedan
    1954 Pacific Hardtop
    1956 Patrician Sedan
    1956 Caribbean Convertible

Images

Originally Posted By: Speedster
    Yes, there are Many post-war cars of All makes that have been Chopped-up. I was mainly refering to pre-war Packards, since that is what 'superods' and others like him, have been destroying.
    I suppose it's because I've always wanted a '33 or '34 Packard to Restore and have never been able to find one I could affort, so it's like a 'Stab in the Heart' when I hear of people with a lot of money, 'Doing Harm' to them like that.

I was referring to Pre-War, Full Classic Packards only when I said I know of about 50 that have been rodded, be they street-rodded/hot-rodded/rat-rodded/resto-rodded/repro-rodded/or any other intelluctually meaningless rationalization prefix attached to the process. If you want to look at post-war or even pre-war 120/110/Clippers that have been rodded the number is surely in the thousands range by now.

All one has to do is to go to Yahoo and do an image search for Packard street rod (currently 150 images available), or you can substitute any of the other terms for it. Searching for Marmons/Pierce-Arrow/Lincoln/Cadillac will also find more than enough images.

That search is just a start, however. Most images do not have all the terms attached to show up in searches (and amusingly a huge percentage {15%+?} are not even identified correctly, usually not even by their owners [img]<>/smirk.gif[/img] ). You can then go to the sites where some images are found, and browse around in them. Browsing through popular street rodding sites will also turn up dozens at a time. When I was building my "Lost Souls" thread I'd usually turn up 6 or 8 at a time when I could spare the time. It rarely took more than half an hour.

(BTW, this car is a rarity. It actually is a fiberglass reproduction of a car (though obviously a large number of genuine pieces were used), done in the manner Matt described. It won Outstanding Street Rod at the 2001 Detroit Autorama. So it can be done! [img]<>/smile.gif[/img] )
    "The saddest aspect of life right now is that science gathers knowledge faster than society gathers wisdom."--Issac Asimov

Guys, it's a car - not a holy thing.
    In a hundred years will it matter?
    I'll bet not.

Originally Posted By: Studemax

I hope it Matters to someone and they will keep my cars and other Packard Automobiles original. (Not a Car, it's an Automobile) [img]<>/grin.gif[/img]
    I think Some Original Packards will Still be Original and Not All Gone.
    For Packards, 200 years or so, is Just the 'Break-In Period'. [img]<>/grin.gif[/img]
    We are talking about the Holy Packards here, Not Studebakers! [img]<>/laugh.gif[/img] LOL (Sorry aboout That!) [img]<>/grin.gif[/img]

Rick L.

Geez, I go out of town for a few days and the joint goes crazy! All interesting and a lot of well-presented opinions.

I suppose one thing to consider when looking at and lamenting over the fate of a hot-rodded Packard (or any other marque, including the high-volume cars) is the condition at the start.

There may be many anecdotes or examples that can be related of perfectly serviceable cars being stripped and modified. There are certainly as many stories of true basket cases, and half-empty baskets at that, that would not be on the road were it not for transplanted (modern) parts. By the same token, the truly great and heroic car stories involve taking those hulks and bringing them back to stock condition with parts from a hundred sources, including the Bridgeport in the guy's backyard shop.

As for me, I'm guilty of hacking up an MGA and 'refitting' a small-block Ford under the hoo...eh...bonnet. But that was when I was a hot-rod kid and the MG, a good, fun and reliable but awful slow car cost me 700 1968 bucks.

I'm more dreamy-eyed now, and I see my original, unrestored 34 Packard as a direct link to the past. It looks the part, smells it, and runs smoothly and quietly but slowly compared to anything now. But for me, that's the beauty. It was state of the art for 1934, and in a sense, it's a time machine. A link to a slower time.

Dave,

That Limo was one of three bodies Dwight Bond built years ago. The other two were 33 and 34 Packard convertible coupe and a Packard victoria. He is presently trying to sell the molds. He retired 10 years ago.

I was fortunate to purchase his last 34 convertible coupe body. Will build that one out and am negotiating on a couple of more coupes along with a couple 34 Victoria's while he still has the molds and a person in town who will glass them up for Dwight.

Images

Quote:
    I'm more dreamy-eyed now, and I see my original, unrestored 34 Packard as a direct link to the past. It looks the part, smells it, and runs smoothly and quietly but slowly compared to anything now. But for me, that's the beauty. It was state of the art for 1934, and in a sense, it's a time machine. A link to a slower time.

That's a great way to put it and I'm sure it's the way a lot of us feel.

That Limo was one of three bodies Dwight Bond built years ago. The other two were 33 and 34 Packard convertible coupe and a Packard victoria. He is presently trying to sell the molds. He retired 10 years ago.

I had planed to purchase one of those glass Conv.-coupe bodies from Bond, but when I had almost saved up enough Pennys, he Stopped making them. I've been told there were a lot of people very disappointed when he desided to retire, since they were a Great project car.
    That's when I desided to find a Real Packard that needed restoring, and 4 other Packards Later, I'm still at it.
    Bonds replicas are really the reason I started an Interest in Packards, since here in Texas there are Not many pre/war Packards around and I had not even seen many, so I have something to Thank him for. [img]<>/smile.gif[/img]
    The first one I did find here in Texas, but if it had not been for the Internet, I probably would have never got the other four. Since they were all trucked in from Yankee land. [img]<>/laugh.gif[/img]

Rick L.

Images

Originally Posted By: Studemax
    Guys, it's a car - not a holy thing.
    I'll bet not.

How can anyone possibly bet that an historical artifact currently worth more than the average American home would not be worth enough in a hundred years to "matter"? Even if you totally discount the emotional and historical worth of such objects, and focus only on the financial worth of them, this is mortifyingly illogical and ludicrous in the worst sense.

[quote=Dave@MoonTo put it simply, there isn't a car in existence that is in the clear for being rodded by someone. None.[/quote]

I wonder what would have happened to my Buick if for whatever reason I had not been the one to drag it out of the garage after my dad's passing. Say I took no interest! Mom just put a listing in the want-ads. Sold to anyone, she wouldn't have cared what they were going to do with it, she would have needed it out of the way so she could be relieved of the rent for that garage.

I've had several of the guys in the local casual old-car club (of which Mr Jack, bulding that 34 Packard Convertible and already having that club coupe, is a member of) approach me at cruise nights and shows saying "boy ill tell ya paul i'd reeeeaaallly love to hot rod that car there I know ya wanna keep it as is and that's great but she'd sure look mean"

So I read that statment and thought...yeah. Sad but true!

And re: "Will it matter in a hundred years?"

Look where the auto industry is today! I wonder where it will be in 100 years. Maybe we still wont be flying like the Jetsons but cars will obviously be oh-so vastly different. Surely they'll be powered by an entirely different fuel source, and their inner workings will have very little in common with current iron, save for basic things like, well WHEELS and shafts and stuff [img]<>/laugh.gif[/img] I mean isn't that why we like these things in the first place? As its been said, a "time machine"?

Imagine the owner of a 1911 Oldsmobile, brand new. [img]<>/wink.gif[/img] What if he/she thought "oh this wouldnt matter in 2011, by then who knows what people will drive they wont care about something old". And then that all-original one brought whatever the hell it brought. Just my .42 (ask Mr Earl why I said that!!! [img]<>/laugh.gif[/img] )

With the ever-changing nature of cars we DEFINITELY gotta keep around the stuff from the halcyon days, and from every time period good or bad in the industry (cough70scough) to know where we've been! Just think, some people WILL be born and possibly never even KNOW what a stick-shift is, let alone how to use one! Some might not even know now!!!
    http://forums.aaca.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=39688&dateline=127151  9691
    Paul T
    1938 Buick Special Model 41 Whistler Grey
    original, 86k miles, in my family since '68
    Resurrected in May '05 after 25 years of slumber!
    Thanks Dad.

Images

Good One Zonda12!
    Dave Kenney

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread Information