Thread: 1937 Junior Cars

1937 Junior Cars

Do the Junior cars contain structural wood - specifically sedans? I may be looking at a car that has been described as very solid but am not sure about this aspect.

Also, seller describes car as a 110 but I thought all 6 cylinder '37s were 115s?

thanks
    Last edited by Steve_Mack_CT; November 16th, 2012 at 12:09. Reason: added question
    Steve
    1989 Mercedes Benz 560 SL
    1914 Ford Model T Speedster
    AACA, CCR-AACA, & MBCA

Re: 1937 Junior Cars

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_Mack_CT View Post
    Do the Junior cars contain structural wood - specifically sedans? I may be looking at a car that has been described as very solid but am not sure about this aspect.

Also, seller describes car as a 110 but I thought all 6 cylinder '37s were 115s?

thanks
    It's my understanding that the 38 Jr. was the first all steel Packard-

The answer depends on your definition of "structural" wood. Certainly the main body sections were all-steel. Some wood was used in rumble seat frames, and of course convertible tops. Before the all-steel tops the juniors also used some wood to support the roof insert but I don't know if I'd call any of that "structural". Yes, a 37 six-cylinder is a properly a Model 115.

The 1937 Convertible Coupes have a wood panel behind the seat and the package shelf, wood surrounding (framing) the trunk lid, and wood in various locations supporting the top. Other than the wood in the top as mentioned above, I don't think the sedans have any other wood . . . oops, I forgot about the rear main seal in the 120 engine.
    Last edited by packick; November 23rd, 2012 at 13:03.

Joe Hopkins
    BCA 19134

Ferndale, WA

"If you haven't lost money in the old car hobby, then you haven't been in the old car hobby." Jay Leno

Thanks guys. This car may be of interest to me as I am pretty certain it belonged to a family friend around 30 years ago - he sold it out of his barn when he moved to VT. Appears to have moved from one storage area to another, but is still a solid largely untouched car. We'll see..

"Owen" - nice rear view of your head in this month's Cormorant, sir!!! But what a car you are examining!
    Steve
    1989 Mercedes Benz 560 SL
    1914 Ford Model T Speedster
    AACA, CCR-AACA, & MBCA

Hi Steve, yeah that is one of the most interesting Packards I've ever had the chance to examine closely. Just every little place you looked you saw another fascinating feature. The car was commissioned by Risch for the Geneva Auto Show and the car was covered in some detail in the Swiss-language magazine "Swiss Classics" of August 2008 which I was fortunate enough to have a copy of and which I did send copies of on to Ralph.

Thread Information