Thread: 1930 dash knob removal

Images

1930 dash knob removal

I have a perfect-condition 1930 dash knob (marbelized amber color) that is stuck to a cut-off and rusted shaft. I've tried soaking the whole thing in a jar of PB Blaster for more than two weeks, but still have not been able to remove the plastic knob. Apart from cutting the shaft at the end of the plastic, and drilling the rest out, is there anything else I can try?
    I've thought about soaking the whole thing in Coca-Cola (remembering my sixth-grade experiment of dropping a paper clip into a glass of the solution). Or, possibly a well salted solution... or even some type of acid. However, i do not want to ruin the knob, as it is so nice. Reproductions are no where near as nice.
    West Peterson, Editor
    Antique Automobile (AACA)
    No man treats a motorcar as foolishly as he treats another human being. When the car will not go, he does not attribute its annoying behavior to sin, he does not say, "You are a wicked motorcar and I shall not give you any more petrol until you go." He attempts to find out what is wrong and set it right. Bertrand Russel

"Things are more like they are now than they've ever been!" Uncle Arni

Re: 1930 dash knob removal

You might try heating up the remaining stub gradually until hot enough to pull out, then rethread or Helicoil the knob.
    1932 Packard 900 Conv Cpe
    1955 Jaguar XK-140 Drophead
    1948 Buick Woody
    1931 Model A Tudor
    :o All unrestored, shoemaker's kids, you know?

Senior Master Judge 87 Credits

Are you sure it is supposed to come off? Some knobs were molded onto the shaft.

Images

No set screw. I'm pretty sure it's supposed to scew off, but I base this on knowing that the dash-light knob screws off. The knob I'm having trouble with is for either the choke or spark, so perhaps Tom or Rick can varify its attachment.
    West Peterson, Editor
    No man treats a motorcar as foolishly as he treats another human being. When the car will not go, he does not attribute its annoying behavior to sin, he does not say, "You are a wicked motorcar and I shall not give you any more petrol until you go." He attempts to find out what is wrong and set it right. Bertrand Russel

Images

perhaps someone on the forum has a broken or runied knob they can dissect and tell you how it is on there?
    John

The real pity in America is that the people who really know how to run the country are all tending bar and cutting hair--George Burns

Images

I guess that weather it's screwed on or molded on, I'd like to know if there is any way of eating away the metal without harming the plastic (is it plastic?).
    West Peterson, Editor

The '29 choke and spark knobs are metal, not plastic, but they are threaded and screw on (normal right-hand thread). So, it does seem logical that '30s knobs were threaded also.
    * Asking Questions is a 'Good Thing', Since Learning is Always a 'Good Thing' *

Rick L.

In '30 there were also plastic knobs on the 2 gloveboxes. Could it be from one of those? The glovebox knobs may Not have been threaded on to shaft, since they would have a nut on inside?

Rick L.

I was thinking about the headlight switch knobs used on many cars from the 40s 50s and 60s. Where the knob was molded onto the shaft, and the shaft pushed into the switch where it was held by a snap ring or otherwise locked in.

Someone who did not know this might cut the shaft when he couldn't get the knob off.

Have seen this type knob, screw on knob, and set screw knob all on the same dash board.

The choke and spark knobs on my 30 are plastic, and they look screwed on. I have not tried to take them off.

You could try using galvanic corrosion to remove the metal. Place some salty water in a copper tub (3.5% table salt will work). If you don't have a copper tub than a plastic tub with a flat chunk of copper immersed in the water will do. Attach your metal post to the cathode of a 12V battery using a copper or stainless connector, and immerse in the tub. The tub (or chunk of copper) is then grounded to the anode of the battery. Current enters the electrolyte through your piece of metal, travels through the electrolyte, and goes to ground through the copper. 12V DC at very low amps will result in dissolution of 1/2 lb of metal in less than a day, so it shouldn't take long with your post.

Just don't use tin or aluminum for the cathode (e.g. bucket). You will just end up with salty water all over the floor!

Tom
    --
    T. Wilcox
    30 Packard 733 Sedan, 34 Packard 1104 Roadster

Images

Here are a couple of images to help this discussion along.......
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	23613.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	37.7 KB 
ID:	19098   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	23614.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	38.6 KB 
ID:	19099  
    John

The real pity in America is that the people who really know how to run the country are all tending bar and cutting hair--George Burns

What is the knob for, on right side of dash above cigar-lighter? Is that the Heater-switch, dash-light switch or what? The '29 doesn't have a switch there.
    What ever it is, it has a plastic knob also.

Rick L.

Images

On my car that is the Map light.
    Tom
    Woodridge, IL
    1931 Packard 833-468 Coupe
    AACA Member # 900049
    http://s153.photobucket.com/albums/s210/packin31/

Images

Yes. Map light.
    West Peterson, Editor

Map-light! Man, How Modern can you Get! [img]<>/shocked.gif[/img] [img]<>/grin.gif[/img]

No Heater standard, but it HAS a Map-light! [img]<>/smirk.gif[/img] [img]<>/grin.gif[/img]

Rick L.

Images

It is a neat thing. You pull is out in it lights up [img]<>/smile.gif[/img]
    Tom
    Woodridge, IL
    1931 Packard 833-468 Coupe
    AACA Member # 900049
    http://s153.photobucket.com/albums/s210/packin31/

Or in my case, sparks a bit! Or it did before I disconnected the wire!

--
    T. Wilcox
    30 Packard 733 Sedan, 34 Packard 1104 Roadster

Images

Quote:
    Or in my case, sparks a bit!

....Comes in handy for the Fourth of July Events! [img]<>/whistle.gif[/img]

Wayne

Thread Information