Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: PA Residents! Good news

Super Moderator Steve Moskowitz's Avatar
    Images

PA Residents! Good news

HB 1203 JUST PASSED THE FULL HOUSE!!! YOM manufacturers plates goes to the senate. Make sure your senator is aware of your interest. Sailed though the house but the senate is where the struggle might be.

In my haste to post this I did not give credit to AACA member Rep. John Lawrence for introducing this bill!! Thanks John!
    Last edited by Steve Moskowitz; June 27th, 2011 at 15:42.
    Antique Automobile Club of America
    Executive Director

Re: PA Residents! Good news

That's great, maybe those 4 milk crates full of license plates will finally be worth something to someone!!! Might even be worth restoring the slightly rusty ones. Thanks for the update Steve!!!
    51 Crosley Hotshot
    51 Crosley Supersports
    50 Crosley Farm O Road
    41 Crosley Convertable coupe
    48 Crosley Panel Delivery
    48 Crosley Convertable
    52 Crosley Wagon
    49 Crosley Wagon
    47 Crosley Pickup
    ?? 3/4 Midget Crosley Powered
    48 Crosley Wagon
    52 Crosley Farm O Road
    50 Crosley Super Hotshot

i have 1962 plates on my 62 invicta,always getting asked how i cam use those plates.have to explaine that i can run yom plates.guy told me sunday that he has been stopped a few times for having 69 ct tags on his charger.4 bufords from ct

Just picked up a set of NY 51' plates for our Roadmaster. Waiting for our DMV to issue our new registration. They really look nice, especially with the I LIKE IKE bumper sticker.

Here' hoping your law makers do the right thing.

I already have a set of 1933 PA plates ready for my 1933 Chevrolet and an PA original plate with the 1962 sticker for my 1962 Triumph TR4.

I hope the Senate passes the bill so I can re-register them with the Year of Manufacture plates.

I suggest PA residents email there senators and request their support on this bill.

The Pennsylvania Senate - Senators Listed Alphabetically

I noticed my Rep to the PA House was not a supporter of HR 1203 and my vote in the next election will show my support for her opponent.

Visit my website at: Bob's Vintage Cars

Vila
    1933 Chevrolet
    1962 Triumph TR4
    1984 BMW 633 CSi

I just emailed my Senator Tim Solobay. He replied that he was in favor of the bill and will support it.

Frank

Here's the bill, should anyone care to check it out. You might emphasize in the note to your Senator that the $75 fee would be a money maker for the state which many collectors would gladly pay to display original plates on their antiques.

Phil
    Last edited by MochetVelo; June 28th, 2011 at 20:28.

It is unclear to me if the $75 fee to use YOM plates will be in addition to the $75 fee for regular Antique plates or not. I also notice that this bill defines "occasional use" as 1 day per week. Do the current regulations have this restriction?
    1932 Packard 900 Conv Cpe
    1955 Jaguar XK-140 Drophead
    1948 Buick Woody
    1931 Model A Tudor
    :o All unrestored, shoemaker's kids, you know?

Senior Master Judge 87 Credits

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Restorer32 View Post
    I also notice that this bill defines "occasional use" as 1 day per week. Do the current regulations have this restriction?
    That was the restriction on antique plates in PA when I lived there 10-25 years ago. It was almost impossible to enforce. The only person I ever knew who got ticketed for exceeding it drove his car to work twice in a row, parking it in a restricted lot for state employees that was routinely patrolled by the local police.
    "The saddest aspect of life right now is that science gathers knowledge faster than society gathers wisdom."--Issac Asimov

"Whisper words of wisdom"--Paul McCartney

I believe, from what I read, that the vehicle owner will have the choice of either a vintage plate that they provide, or a state issued plate. I read a fiscal analysis that said they were hoping the bill would save money because the state wouldn't have to manufacture as many plates.

http://www.legis.state.pa.us/WU01/LI...B1203P1598.pdf

Paul
    Paul Hartlieb
    Membership Manager
    National Antique Oldsmobile Club
    www.antiqueolds.org

Aren't some years PA plates actually shaped like the state? I know Tennessee did that for many years.

Just hope that if YOM passes, you don't get a state legislator who, once it passes, will consider it his divine right to start monkeying with the statutes.
    Glenn Williamson
    AACA Life Member
    Member of all major Olds clubs

PA looks rather like a license plate, and it's shape was outlined on our plates, but no longer.

A 1958 PA plate:

Phil

Images

For those who do switch to the YOM plates, many of the desirable and hard to obtain purple antique plates will be freed up.
    Ron Green

AACA Member #337715
    AACA Gettysburg Region Member
    Former President-International Amphicar Owners Club (IAOC)

If you presently have regular plates, would the title have to be exchanged for one branded "Antique" or will there be a special brand?

Quote Originally Posted by Restorer32 View Post
    It is unclear to me if the $75 fee to use YOM plates will be in addition to the $75 fee for regular Antique plates or not. I also notice that this bill defines "occasional use" as 1 day per week. Do the current regulations have this restriction?

Restorer,

I checked the current "antique plate" regs a few weeks ago, and they are still defining "occasional use" as "not more than 1 day per week", if I am remembering correctly.

In Maryland, where I last had vehicles tagged with "historic" tags, you could use the YOM plate, but had to have current (modern) historic plates registered to that car, and carried in the vehicle along with the current reigstration and insurance info.

I support the YOM bill for PA, but that usage limitation is still off-putting.
    Frank McMullen
    1928 Ford 49-A Special Coupe
    1930 Chevrolet Special Sedan
    1941 De Soto S-8 De Luxe Sedan
    1948 & '50 Chrysler NY'ers
    1941, 1954, 1955-first Chevy trucks
    1961 Rambler American Convertible :D
    1965 Ford F-100 long-bed pick-up
    1982 Honda Silverwing GL-500 Interstate :cool:

Dearly Departed:
    1955 De Soto Fireflite S-21 sedan
    1960 Chrysler Windsor PC-1 sedan
    1961 Plymouth Belvedere sedan

Images

Quote Originally Posted by hellerc View Post
    If you presently have regular plates, would the title have to be exchanged for one branded "Antique" or will there be a special brand?
    A title is a title. Vehicle classifications are done through registrations and not titles. No differences between a new vehicle, car, truck or antique title. Those who have owned a vehicle a long time the older titles are larger than the new ones but contain the same info.
    Ron Green

AACA Member #337715
    AACA Gettysburg Region Member
    Former President-International Amphicar Owners Club (IAOC)

Unless things have changed recently, I believe you will find that if you're car is currently registered in PA as a "normal" registration and you change it over to "antique" you will get a new title. PA has "branded" titles and there is a code on the title showing that the car is an antique. You will pay the fee for the new title, along with the fee for the lifetime registration (i.e. good as long as you own the car). At least that's what the situation was the last time I went through it in PA.

Quote Originally Posted by MochetVelo View Post
    PA looks rather like a license plate, and it's shape was outlined on our plates, but no longer.

A 1958 PA plate:

Phil
    I have one of these on the front of my '61 Rambler
    Frank McMullen

Dearly Departed:

I think PA used this same plate from 1958 to 1964. In '71, they removed the state outline on the tags.

Phil

Unless things have changed an "Antique" branded title in PA does indeed differ from a "regular" title.
    1932 Packard 900 Conv Cpe
    1955 Jaguar XK-140 Drophead
    1948 Buick Woody
    1931 Model A Tudor
    :o All unrestored, shoemaker's kids, you know?

Senior Master Judge 87 Credits

Yes, PA has a Code box on the title where they place a letter code. A= Antique, C= Classic, D= Collectable, w= flood vehicle, x= taxi, etc, etc for all the other codes.

When I originally bought my 1984 BMW I had regular plates on it, but when I met the 20
    year requirement for the Classic plates they issued me a new title with a D code with the Classic plates. I can tell by the mileage shown on the title.

Seems like an Antique car is an Antique by the title code, independent of whether it has an antique or vintage plate. They don't put "Flood tags" on flood vehicles or "Former Taxi" tags on former taxis, but I bet the governor will figure out a way to squeeze a few more bucks out of us by coming up with a new title code for vintage plates.

I guess you pay the price.

Visit my website at: Bob's Vintage Cars

Vila
    1933 Chevrolet
    1962 Triumph TR4
    1984 BMW 633 CSi

Images

Arrow Re: PA Residents! Good news

Quote Originally Posted by De Soto Frank View Post
    I have one of these on the front of my '61 Rambler
    When I lived in PA I was told by a police officer that having a second plate number on the car is illegal, even an old one like this and even mounted in front like this. (We were looking at a car with an old plat on the front at the time.) You could be cited for it if a cop decides he wants to, although granted it would be a pretty picayune citation.
    "The saddest aspect of life right now is that science gathers knowledge faster than society gathers wisdom."--Issac Asimov

"Whisper words of wisdom"--Paul McCartney

Quote Originally Posted by Dave@Moon View Post
    When I lived in PA I was told by a police officer that having a second plate number on the car is illegal, even an old one like this and even mounted in front like this. (We were looking at a car with an old plat on the front at the time.) You could be cited for it if a cop decides he wants to, although granted it would be a pretty picayune citation.

Well, whether or not it's "legal", there's an awful lot of folks that do it with their antiques.

Even ones that have an ancient PA plate ( from the '40s or '50s ), perhaps from their very first car on the front bumper of their modern daily-drivers.

I would hope that the local constabulary have much bigger fish to fry.

Especially since PA is a "one-plate" state when it comes to vehicle tags.
    Frank McMullen

Dearly Departed:

Harrisburg, Pa. 6 miles NE of Hershey as the crow flies. Longer by road.

Cool Re: PA Residents! Good news

Quote Originally Posted by franklinman View Post
    Unless things have changed recently, I believe you will find that if you're car is currently registered in PA as a "normal" registration and you change it over to "antique" you will get a new title. PA has "branded" titles and there is a code on the title showing that the car is an antique. You will pay the fee for the new title, along with the fee for the lifetime registration (i.e. good as long as you own the car). At least that's what the situation was the last time I went through it in PA.
    You are correct. Only one item to add. You can transfer your antique plate from one vehicle to another. I did this two years ago.
    And finally, Thanks to all involved in getting YOM in the state of Pa. Here's hoping it will pass through the senate
    Jim Siegfried
    Nbr: 802500

Harrisburg, Pa. 6 miles NE of Hershey as the crow flies. Longer by road.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave@Moon View Post
    You are correct also. A former neighbor was a Pa. State Policeman, and he questioned my USA overseas plate on the front one of my cars. He stated that he'd probably give a warning, but watchout for the local guys.
    Jim Siegfried
    Nbr: 802500

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information