Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: PA Residents! Good news

Re: PA Residents! Good news

Good news. Keep up the good work!
    1932 Packard 900 Conv Cpe
    1955 Jaguar XK-140 Drophead
    1948 Buick Woody
    1931 Model A Tudor
    :o All unrestored, shoemaker's kids, you know?

Senior Master Judge 87 Credits

I'm glad you're talking with PennDOT, Steve. The "it has to look factory-new" rule to get tags is a drag. Also, it would be nice if PennDOT were more liberal on ancient cars lacking titles.

Phil

"Also, it would be nice if PennDOT were more liberal on ancient cars lacking titles"

X2 on this one!

Super Moderator Steve Moskowitz's Avatar
    Images

That subject was one of the ones discussed...I seem to have two cars that need titles in my own garage!
    Antique Automobile Club of America
    Executive Director

Hi Steve,

Any updates you can share?
    John

1929 Packard 626 5 Passenger Sedan

AACA
    CCCA
    Packard Automobile Classics (Keystone Packards, Mid-Atlantic Packards)
    Packards International

I am curious as well. This act became law in mid April, and should be administered within 120 days (4 months). It has been three months...
    Dan Dolan
    ROA #11333
    BCA #43257
    1968 Riviera

Images

Guys sorry, I don't have any updates but I will do my best to get them today.
    Executive Director

i just checked pendot website & nothing showing yet.

I don't think they're in a hurry. An AACA member, and father of a PA state Representative, told me "November" for implementation of the new rules.

Phil

I've been running a 1937 tag on my '37 Ford pickup for 2 years now. Bought the tag at a flea market, restored it, registered a new PA vanity tag with the same digits and threw that tag under the seat, just in case I get stopped by revenuers. I am not registered antique/classic. The truck is driven daily. Drove it from Philly to Pittsburgh and back several times, to and through several states. Haven't had a problem.

Images

Moving
    PennDOT
    Forward
    BULLETIN NO. 12-09 August 2012
    Driver and VehicleServices Update
    Bureau of Motor Vehicles - Research and Support Operations SectionP.O. Box 68031, Harrisburg, PA 17106-8031This bulletin may be downloaded by visiting the Driver and Vehicle Serviceswebsite at www.dmv.state.pa.usTom Corbett, Governor Barry J. Schoch, P.E., Secretary
    Information contained in this bulletin..... Vintage Registration Plates. Antique and Classic - No Photographs
    ANTIQUE AND CLASSIC - NOPHOTOGRAPHS
    When applying for an Antique or Classic vehicleregistration, photographs of the vehicle are no longerrequired. Form MV-11, "Application for Permanent,Antique, Classic or Collectible Registration Plate," hasbeen revised and has an edition date of 8-12 and isavailable on our website at PennDOT Driver and Vehicle Services. Theform now includes a certification section, which reads,"The vehicle has been maintained in or restored to acondition that is essentially the same as that which avehicle of that particular year and model would havebeen in at the time it was originally manufactured andboth interior and exterior are in good condition includingpaint, chrome, wheels and body. I understand that thisvehicle must be maintained in compliance withPennsylvania Equipment Regulations.”Please note, four color photographs are still requiredwhen applying for a Collectible Vehicle registration.Act 25, signed into law on April 12, 2012, provides fora vintage registration plate to be displayed in lieu of aspecial antique or classic registration plate for this typeof vehicle. This law is effective August 10, 2012.A vintage registration plate is a "period issued"registration plate from 1906 to 1975 to be displayed onan antique or classic vehicle with the samecorresponding year of manufacture. Vintageregistration plates will not be manufactured or issuedby the Department. Applicants are required to providethe vintage registration plate they wish to display ontheir antique or classic vehicle.Form MV-11V, "Application to Display a VintageRegistration Plate," has been created to accommodatethese requests and has an edition date of 8-12 and isavailable on our website at PennDOT Driver and Vehicle Services. Thefee to apply to display a vintage registration plate is$75. NOTE: This is in addition to any fees that may bedue for antique or classic registration.
    VINTAGE REGISTRATION PLATES
    AGENTS ARE REQUIRED TO ENSURE ALL THEIR EMPLOYEES RECEIVE
    PENNDOT’S DRIVER AND VEHICLE SERVICES UPDATE BULLETINS

Hopefully this will meet with your approval!
    Last edited by Steve Moskowitz; August 8th, 2012 at 12:56.
    Executive Director

Great.

I have everything ready for this Saturday's trip to PennDOT.

Thanks to everyone for the effort put into this.

Vila

1933 Chevrolet
    1962 Triumph TR4
    1984 BMW 633 CSi

The new MV-11V has been posted to Penn DOT's webiste. Victory! However, the old MV-11 is still on the website so it would seem that pictures will still be required until the updated MV-11 is posted. I was hoping to get my new(1929) plate registered today, but I'm still waiting for an update from my insurance provider.

No pictures required, with one exception unrelated to the MV-11 form.

I just got back from changing my 1933 Chevrolet over from a Antique / Historic Car purple plate to a Vintage (year of manufacture) plate at PennDOT in Harrisburg and everything went great. The MV-11V form was easy to complete. Since I went to PennDOT Harrisburg, I did not need a photo of the Vintage license plate since I took it with me, but according to the MV-11V form it says you need a photo of the Vintage plate if you send the paperwork in for processing. 1933 had front and rear plates and I did not need both, even though I have both and have one on the front and back.

In addition to taking the Purple plate off my 1933 Chevrolet and replacing it with a vintage plate, I then transferred the Purple Antique / Historic Car plate to my 1984 BMW and changed the title over to Antique category. Vintage (YOM) plates are not an option for 1984.

For the 1984 I need to submit both the VM-11 form to change it to an Antique title, and another form to transfer the purple plate to the car.

No Front, Side, Rear vehicle photos were required for any transaction I completed as stated in Steve's PennDOT Bulletin above, even though the MV-11 still states you need them.

For future reference, I also asked about Vintage (YOM) for my 1962 Triumph TR4 when I register it after completing the restoration. In 1962 PA plates are actually 1958 plates with a 1962 sticker, you list it as a 1962 plate since it will be used on a 1962 car.

Title, proof of insurance, and PA drivers license ID were required.

Vila
    1933 Chevrolet
    1962 Triumph TR4
    1984 BMW 633 CSi
    Last edited by Vila; September 20th, 2012 at 18:13.

Harrisburg, Pa. 6 miles NE of Hershey as the crow flies. Longer by road.

Great news Vile. Thanks for sharing.
    Jim Siegfried
    Nbr: 802500

Harrisburg, Pa. 6 miles NE of Hershey as the crow flies. Longer by road.

Quote Originally Posted by Siegfried View Post
    Great news Vile. Thanks for sharing.
    I meant 'VILA'. Sorry...........
    Jim Siegfried
    Nbr: 802500

Yes, thanks Vila.....this also answers the question of "Do you need plates in both front and rear?".....We now know it is only the rear that is required...

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Moskowitz View Post
    That subject was one of the ones discussed...I seem to have two cars that need titles in my own garage!
    Steve,

When you posted "That subject was one of the ones discussed" that would indicate other topics were discussed.

I sincerely hope one of those other topics discussed was that the PA DMV consider manufacturing NEW period issue plates for antique vehicles post 1975. Yes, I realize that opens up a potential can-o-worms. I would imagine the state could sell more than a few of these tags at the going Antique Tag Fee Rate given there are now 12 years of potential new customers with the number of customers increasing each and every year.

If new Y-O-M plates post 1975 are not feasible, what about adding the Y-O-M to the current Antique Tag the PA DMV Issues as an extra cost option for those who want it? More revenue for the state for those willing to spend the $$$$.
    Charlie

I sent in my application Aug. 20th and got back the papers today from PennDot. Very efficient. All they wanted was a photo of the license plate which I printed out on my computer (and $75). I'll have my "new" 1958 plate on at Hershey.

Phil

Same here. I sent mine to the state through our title clerk here at work. Received my reg card yesterday. Just in time for Lead East.

Paul
    Paul Hartlieb
    Membership Manager
    National Antique Oldsmobile Club
    www.antiqueolds.org

I mailed my vintage plate form in and received my new registration card back in two weeks. 10 business days mail box to mail box to be exact, hard to complain about that.
    Dan Dolan
    ROA #11333
    BCA #43257
    1968 Riviera

Here's an interesting glitch...

Back in August I registered a YOM plate to my '62 Oldsmobile, which was already titled as an antique. That car had a purple plate that I have had for 25 years.

I recently tried to transfer that purple plate to an '87 Corvette with a new antique title application. My application came back rejected, because "the registration plate which you are transferring is not currently assigned to the vehicle from which you have indicated that the plate is being removed."

So, I guess the antique plates no longer stay with the owner for future use.

Anyone have any experience with this?

Paul
    Paul Hartlieb
    Membership Manager
    www.antiqueolds.org

i just sent my YOM stuff in on the nov. 26. i also want change my 72 chevelle ss from classic to antique, AND HERES THE BIG BUT, to go to YOM, first make it antique, then YOM. the way i readb it is 75.00 to antique then anoyher 75.00 to YOM, total 150.00 but pendot says there is still anoyher 22.50 charge for transfer. so i will send them 97.50 just to get my A tag, just to get my moneys worth. then in another month or so, i will send for the YOM plate. STUPID HUH? i`ll keep you posted. (im taking the chevy to antique status just to stop the inspections-maybe 200 miles a year, i know i need to drive more)

Oldsfan, I believe yours problem is you are not actually trying to transfer you Purple plate, but rather attempting to reuse an old expired plate after being off of a car for 3 months. Back in August I transferred my active purple plate that was on my 1933 Chevrolet directly to my 1984 BMW 633 CSi and then registered my 1933 Chevrolet immediately with the YOM plate. Completed everything in one trip to PennDOT, with no break in time.

Sounds like you re-registered your 1962 Olds with a YOM plate and since you had not immediately transferred the Purple plate to the other car it became invalid and unusable.

Visit my website at: Bob's Vintage Cars

Vila

1933 Chevrolet
    1962 Triumph TR4
    1984 BMW 633 CSi

I work for a dealership, and our titlework goes to the state through a dealer organization. That is how my transfer was sent. We heard back from them yesterday. They said they don't normally do this. Apparently, once you replace an antique tag with a YOM tag, the antique tag does, in fact, go dead. But in my case they'll make an exception.

Momma always told me I was special...

Paul
    Paul Hartlieb
    Membership Manager
    www.antiqueolds.org

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread Information