Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: PA Residents! Good news

Re: PA Residents! Good news

Has anyone received any feedback from the Senator's office (Rafferty's office) as to what the issue(s) were that prevented the bill from being sent through for a vote? I emailed an inquiry some time back but never received any response. I understand that Rafferty is new to the , don't know much about him or his positions regarding the hobby.

franklinman:

You never will hear anything from this #%$^, I sent a message for his support of this bill back when it when to the senate transportation committee and never got a response.

Time for the voters in the PA 44th senate district to show the power of the ballot.

Visit my website at: Bob's Vintage Cars

Vila
    1933 Chevrolet
    1962 Triumph TR4
    1984 BMW 633 CSi

Maybe, but I see no mention of the bill being scrapped. Has anyone called Senator Rafferty's office?

I just received a letter from Senator John Rafferty, Jr today in response to my email on HB 1203 and contrary to one comment above the bill is alive and well.

From the letter: "The legislation is not dead. No action was taken on the legislation in September due to several hearings that I (Senator Rafferty) conducted on the Governor's Transportation Report. This legislation may be considered at an October Committee meeting."

That said, get your pen and/or email working and send messages to Senator Rafferty or any other Senators on the Transportation Committee to request their support of this bill. In addition to other comments you may make in your letter/email I would mention that this will save PennDOT money since they will get the same registration fee and not be required to supply a license plate.

Vila
    1933 Chevrolet
    1962 Triumph TR4
    1984 BMW 633 CSi
    Last edited by Vila; October 8th, 2011 at 16:39.

Here is a list of the Senate Transportation Committe members. If you click on a name, you will get their contact information.

Phil

Images

I was told that a few weeks ago at a Hershey region meeting it was announced to the membership that this bill had passed. Spoke to at least two members at the fall meet who were buying PA antique license plates for their cars. I told them from what I know it hasnít been officially passed which they said it was? Thinking they will be in for a surprise when they visit PennDot.
    Ron Green

AACA Member #337715
    AACA Gettysburg Region Member
    Former President-International Amphicar Owners Club (IAOC)

Yes it passed the PA House of Representatives several weeks ago, but then it had to go the the PA Senate and is currently in the Senate Transportation Committee for debate before it goes to the full senate for a vote and none of this has occurred to date.

Senator Rafferty's letter referenced in my previous posting was dated 5 October 2011.

Vila
    1933 Chevrolet
    1962 Triumph TR4
    1984 BMW 633 CSi

Here's a site I use to check the status of a bill. This link will take you to HB1203. You can add comments there, too.

Phil

A reply I just received from PA Senator John Eichelberger concerning HB 1203:

"Mr. Jamison,
    I was appointed to the Senate Transportation Committee this year and will ask about the bill. Thank you for bringing it to my attention.
    John Eichelberger"

I think this shows that committee members read emails, and may not even know this bill exists.

Phil

how can u be on a commitee and not know what bills exist?
    1966 Chrysler Newport 2dr ht, 383 Automatic
    1966 Ford Mustang coupe, 200 L6 Automatic
    1968 Chrysler 300, convertible, 440 automatic
    1970 Dodge Challenger R/T , 440 Automatic
    1973 Dodge Dart Swinger, 318 Automatic
    1974 Plymouth Cuda, 360 Automatic
    1991 Chrysler Lebaron, convertible, 3.0L automatic
    1994 Ford Taurus SHO., 3.2L Automatic
    2001 Ford Mustang GT Convertible, 4.6L atomatic
    2006 Ford Mustang Coupe, 4.0L Automatic
    1977 Buick Electra Limited,403 automatic

This is a very minor bill which could easily be forgotten, lost or tabled and no one would ever suffer for it. If all the committee members hear about it positively and realize it will cost the state nothing, they will think to move it along.

Phil

Yes last week HB 1203 made it through the PA Senate Transportation committee.

If anyone finds out when it is supposed to be brought up for a vote in the full Senate would you let us know. A day or so prior to the senate vote we need to do an email blitz of "ALL" our senators again to get it through the full senate.

Vila
    1933 Chevrolet
    1962 Triumph TR4
    1984 BMW 633 CSi

Just a side note: HB 1203 passed the Senate Transportation Committee unanimously on October 18. This is a good sign that the bill will have bi-partisan support in the full Senate.

Phil

Our Bill HB1203 is scheduled for consideration by the Senate on Monday, Nov. 14th.

Phil

Sounds like it is time to email our state Senators to request their support of this bill.

Don't forget to include the fact that PennDOT will save money by passing this bill, since it will be the car owners responsibility to supply the Year of Manufacture license plate and PennDOT will not need to supply an Antique/Historic plate for the same registration fee.

Visit my website at: Bob's Vintage Cars

Vila
    1933 Chevrolet
    1962 Triumph TR4
    1984 BMW 633 CSi

The Senate didn't vote on our bill today. Nov. 15 & 16 are the only other session days this month. They meet for six days in December, and that's it for 2012.

Phil

Still no action on our bill, according to the PA Senate web site. Next session is Dec. 5th.

Phil

This proposed bill is no longer on the Senate's calendar (next meeting is December 5th). The last action listed for this bill is that it was laid on the table. The Rules of the PA Senate as listed on their website define "laid on the table" as

"Any bill or resolution on the Calendar not finally acted upon within ten legislative days shall be removed from the Calendar and laid on the table, unless the Senate shall otherwise direct"

Does this mean that once again our representatives in Harrisburg have left this bill to die and have not acted upon the wishes of their constituents that have elected them? If so I think we should voice our displeasure in the next election. Let's show them what a force the AACA can be should we choose to vote with one unified voice!
    John

1929 Packard 626 5 Passenger Sedan

AACA
    CCCA
    Packard Automobile Classics (Keystone Packards, Mid-Atlantic Packards)
    Packards International

Unfortunately this is another example of our government paying attention to only what serves their own vested interests. While we think of AACA, at 60K members, as a large group for our hobby, and it is, it really doesn't amount to a whole lot of votes for any individual legistlator. I've questioned several local representatives regarding this bill, and while they seem to have no real opposition it (at least when they're talking to me in person) they don't seem to have a lot of knowledge or understanding of what's really involved either. I've also been told that there isn't much support for it from PENNDOT. The attitude there has never really been all that supportive of the old car hobby. They seem to view us as more of a problem that has to be dealt with, and "let's do whatever we've got to do to get them our of our hair, but not any more than we absolutely have to do either". From the current looks of things, I think the bill is dead for the foreseeable future, and this isn't the first time for it. Unless we can get a few high placed / high powered individuals behind this thing I just don't think it's going to get done. Remember, we've got the best government that money can buy!

Franklinman, I have to disagree with you on your statement "it really doesn't amount to a whole lot of votes for an individual legislator".

When these state positions are sometime determined by as few as 100 vote, even 50 antique car enthusiasts can make a difference. 50 votes taken from one person and added to the others can easily erase that 100 votes.

It doesn't really change my vote anyways, since a few years ago I change my voting habits to always vote against everyone on the ballet that is currently in office.

The professional politicians represent themselves, not the people that elect them.

Time to go to my anger management class.

Vila
    1933 Chevrolet
    1962 Triumph TR4
    1984 BMW 633 CSi

Re: PA Residents! BAD news

Not sure why our HB1203 was killed. It was approved unanimously in both the House and in the Senate Transportation Committee. Maybe we should contact Barry Schoch, the head of Penndot. I assume if there is an objection, he would know of it.

Phil

just like the 1 time reg fee issue in NY, never gets to a vote and dies in commitee
    1966 Chrysler Newport 2dr ht, 383 Automatic
    1966 Ford Mustang coupe, 200 L6 Automatic
    1968 Chrysler 300, convertible, 440 automatic
    1970 Dodge Challenger R/T , 440 Automatic
    1973 Dodge Dart Swinger, 318 Automatic
    1974 Plymouth Cuda, 360 Automatic
    1991 Chrysler Lebaron, convertible, 3.0L automatic
    1994 Ford Taurus SHO., 3.2L Automatic
    2001 Ford Mustang GT Convertible, 4.6L atomatic
    2006 Ford Mustang Coupe, 4.0L Automatic
    1977 Buick Electra Limited,403 automatic

Likely the bill just died for lack of time. You have to admit it would be pretty far down the "importance" list. Maybe they thought dealing with the bankruptcy of the state Capital was more urgent.
    1932 Packard 900 Conv Cpe
    1955 Jaguar XK-140 Drophead
    1948 Buick Woody
    1931 Model A Tudor
    :o All unrestored, shoemaker's kids, you know?

Senior Master Judge 87 Credits

Just heard on the news yesterday that they managed to pass another bill approving a special order plate with "In God We Trust" on it. Hadn't heard anything about this before. Guess it's not as big of a problem for them to make a new plate as it is for them to permit us to re-use an old one?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by franklinman View Post
    Just heard on the news yesterday that they managed to pass another bill approving a special order plate with "In God We Trust" on it. Hadn't heard anything about this before. Guess it's not as big of a problem for them to make a new plate as it is for them to permit us to re-use an old one?

That plate will be very popular for those Pennsylvanians that are non-Christian.
    Keith Bleakney
    Club affiliations: Lambda Car Club International , AACA, BCA #11475
    1967(3517) Special Deluxe Hardtop AACA/BCA Sr - Blue Mist/Arctic White
    1990 Buick Reatta Convertible red/tan
    Subaru Outback L L Bean H6
    We could learn a lot from crayons. Some are sharp, some are pretty,and some are dull.Some have weird names, and all are different colors. But they all have to live in the same box.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information