Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: PA Residents! Good news

Images

Arrow Re: PA Residents! Good news

Quote Originally Posted by De Soto Frank View Post
    I would hope that the local constabulary have much bigger fish to fry.
    I would certainly agree, but there are always a few grains of sand in the system.

In the Pittsburgh area there was a particular patrolman in the southern suburb of Mt. Lebanon who was infamous in that area for picking on antique car violations. He is the guy who tagged an acquaintance of mine for hauling a picnic table in the bed of his antique registered '66 Ford pickup, which cost him over $600.00 20+ years ago.

I also knew a guy with a street rod who got pulled over for hauling a picnic cooler in his roadster/pickup's bed. The cooler was even painted to match the truck! The only reason he got off on that one was because he opened the cooler and showed the cop his lunch!

Personally I try never to give a jerk an excuse to reveal himself.
    "The saddest aspect of life right now is that science gathers knowledge faster than society gathers wisdom."--Issac Asimov

"Whisper words of wisdom"--Paul McCartney

Harrisburg, Pa. 6 miles NE of Hershey as the crow flies. Longer by road.

Talking Re: PA Residents! Good news

Quote Originally Posted by Dave@Moon View Post

Personally I try never to give a jerk an excuse to reveal himself.
    Dave, in the often quoted words of our generation 'RIGHT ON'!.
    Jim Siegfried
    Nbr: 802500

Re: PA Residents! Good news

I guess there's less personal risk involved citing an antique car owner then there is in say, chasing-down drug dealers....
    Frank McMullen
    1928 Ford 49-A Special Coupe
    1930 Chevrolet Special Sedan
    1941 De Soto S-8 De Luxe Sedan
    1948 & '50 Chrysler NY'ers
    1941, 1954, 1955-first Chevy trucks
    1961 Rambler American Convertible :D
    1965 Ford F-100 long-bed pick-up
    1982 Honda Silverwing GL-500 Interstate :cool:

Dearly Departed:
    1955 De Soto Fireflite S-21 sedan
    1960 Chrysler Windsor PC-1 sedan
    1961 Plymouth Belvedere sedan

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Green View Post
    A title is a title. Vehicle classifications are done through registrations and not titles. No differences between a new vehicle, car, truck or antique title. Those who have owned a vehicle a long time the older titles are larger than the new ones but contain the same info.
    I finally had some time over the holiday to pull several titles and low and behold there is a “branded” column to select from. The titles are all the same except the little box that classifies / brands a vehicle. Learn something daily.
    Ron Green

AACA Member #337715
    AACA Gettysburg Region Member
    Former President-International Amphicar Owners Club (IAOC)

Images

I finally had some time over the holiday to pull several titles and low and behold there is a “branded” column to select from. The titles are all the same except the little box that classifies / brands a vehicle. Learn something daily.
    Ron, if you look on the back of those titles you may find one other difference. "Newer" PA titles (probably those less than 50 years old) have 2 spaces for new owners to sign over the title when the car is purchased. Before that there was only one, and if the car was signed over to someone else (i.e. a used car dealer) you had to attach a notarized form for the second (& first) purchaser to sign.

I had to do that with a 1960 Falcon I bought in 1980. Even then that form was almost impossible to find. The AAA where I transferred the title had to search the place, and when they did find one it was a 8th or 9th generation photocopy that looked like it was written in cyrillic characters!
    "The saddest aspect of life right now is that science gathers knowledge faster than society gathers wisdom."--Issac Asimov

Images

Dave, one car I have owned 37 years, the title is huge as compared to the newer ones.

Many complain about the PA DMV but a few years ago I somehow lost 3 titles and had to fill out the paperwork for new ones. It was surprising easy and the lady at the window helped me fill out the forms. It took a total of 25 minutes for 3 new titles.
    Ron Green

AACA Member #337715

Just received this from my Senator, Andrew Dinniman:

Please know that I do support HB 1203 and will vote for it when it gets to the floor.

The legislation is currently in the Senate Transportation Committee. In addition, you may want to consider writing to Senator John Rafferty, who represents a portion of Chester County and serves as chair of the committee, to encourage him to call the bill for a vote.

Thank you,

Andy

Perhaps others may care to direct comments to Senator Rafferty. His email is jrafferty@pasen.gov

Phil

Harrisburg, Pa. 6 miles NE of Hershey as the crow flies. Longer by road.

Great news! I haven't heard back yet from my district senator. Hope he supports also.
    Jim Siegfried
    Nbr: 802500

For those who do switch to the YOM plates, many of the desirable and hard to obtain purple antique plates will be freed up.
    Does anyone know what this means?

Are you saying that if I have an old purple plate that I'd like to put on my antique, I will now be permitted?

If that's true, that would be great. I have one, and I would love to put it on my car. I refuse to put that new plate on my car. It is pathetic.

Also, for plates that run 6 years, like the 64 - 70 plate, will the plate have to have the proper year's sticker on it, or could any plate from that era go on a car built in say, 1968?

Still, nothing would beat a purple plate. I hope this can be explained further, as I haven't seen anything about this issue in a while.

6.5 with reference to Ron Green's comment.

Not sure of his exact meaning, but if the bill passes I am planning on registering my 1933 Chevrolet with the YOM plate and moving my Purple plate to my 1984 BMW. The BMW is eligible for the purple Antique plate, but not for a YOM plate since the current bill YOM plates only go up to 1975. I currently have a white with purple lettering Classic plate on the Bimmer and want to go the the Antique Historic plate on it.

That said, the purple plate will be freed up to use on one of my other cars.

I hate the look of the newer White PA Antique plate with that funky looking antique car on it.

Vila

1933 Chevrolet
    1962 Triumph TR4
    1984 BMW 633 CSi

Super Moderator Steve Moskowitz's Avatar
    Images

o " We called on HB 1203 and found out that the head of the transportation committee is Senator John Rafferty and the only way to get this bill going is to put pressure on the Senator so we are asking all PA antique car owners to either write, e-mail or call the good senator and ask him to move this bill and get it passed. His address is: Senate ffice:smarttags" />Box 203044 / lace w:st="on">Harrisburg, PA 17120-3044lace>. His email is jrafferty@pasen.gov and his phone is 717-787-1398." this was received by us this week and more from John Lawrence who wrote the bill:

My advice for anyone contacting any elected official on any matter in any format would be as follows:

* Be polite
    * Give your name and contact information
    * Know what bill you want to talk about and why you are for or against it
    * Ask for a reply

As long as people abide by these, they should be fine.
    Antique Automobile Club of America
    Executive Director

Images

Quote Originally Posted by 6.5 View Post
    Does anyone know what this means?

Are you saying that if I have an old purple plate that I'd like to put on my antique, I will now be permitted?

If that's true, that would be great. I have one, and I would love to put it on my car. I refuse to put that new plate on my car. It is pathetic.

Also, for plates that run 6 years, like the 64 - 70 plate, will the plate have to have the proper year's sticker on it, or could any plate from that era go on a car built in say, 1968?

Still, nothing would beat a purple plate. I hope this can be explained further, as I haven't seen anything about this issue in a while.
    Fairly simple. If you have a “purple” plate and want to go to a YOM plate you could transfer the “purple” plate to another vehicle as mention in the post above, or you could save it or sell / transfer it. Of course all pending on the bill being passed.
    Ron Green

AACA Member #337715

Images

Fairly simple. If you have a “purple” plate and want to go to a YOM plate you could transfer the “purple” plate to another vehicle as mention in the post above, or you could save it or sell / transfer it. Of course all pending on the bill being passed.
    I wouldn't count on that. Here in Ohio when a YOM plate is assigned to a car it still retains it's antique plate as well, which must be carried in the car at all times. If the car had no plate to begin with, or is newly registered as an antique, it is assigned a new antique plate that must be carried. The YOM plate mearly acts as a cross-reference to the "real" registration for the car.

Perhaps a petition could be created and sent to Sen. Rafferty should the bill not be brought up for vote. It could also be forwarded to all the PA AACA chapters (and similar clubs) to be signed at their upcoming meetings and events, including Hershey.

Phil

The big question here is "what reason(s) does the senator have for not releasing the bill for a vote?". Is is a part of some legistlation package containing other things that he does not support, or is his objection strictly to this bill? Once we know that it may become easier to address the matter. Anyone have any ideas?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dave@Moon View Post
    I wouldn't count on that. Here in Ohio when a YOM plate is assigned to a car it still retains it's antique plate as well, which must be carried in the car at all times. If the car had no plate to begin with, or is newly registered as an antique, it is assigned a new antique plate that must be carried. The YOM plate mearly acts as a cross-reference to the "real" registration for the car.
    You are correct as that appears to be the case according to the language in the bill.

http://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs/legis/PN/Public/btCheck.cfm?txtType=HTM&sessYr=2011&sessInd=0&billBody=H&billTyp=B&billNbr=1203&pn=1598
    Ron Green

AACA Member #337715

The only thing politicians are interest in is being re-elected and before this bill came up for a vote in the House I sent my representative an email telling her I would be voting for her opponent in the next election if she didn't vote for it. Don't know if my email made a difference, but in her replied she said she was going to vote for it.

That said, send your senator an email or letter stating your plan is to vote them out of office the next time they are up for re-election if they don't get their @$$ in gear to bring this up for a vote and pass the bill. I already did.

Didn't you watch the news last night (16 August 2011), Good Guys finish last.

Enought on politics.

As far as keeping a "Historic/Antique" plate in addition to the YOM plate, I don't mind. I can still transfer my Purple plate to a vehicle like my 1984 BMW that is antique but is newer than the last YOM allowed (which I believe might be 1975 in the bill), then hide that ugly newer style White with Yellow and Blue "Historic/Antique plate in the car I am displaying my YOM plate on.

Vila
    1933 Chevrolet
    1962 Triumph TR4
    1984 BMW 633 CSi
    Last edited by Vila; August 17th, 2011 at 10:50. Reason: Added "Enough" statement

Yes, Vila, I tend to agree with your overall perception regarding politician's primary concern being to get re-elected. With that said, it's apparent that this senator is in the position, as head of the transportation committee, to either tie this bill up in committee or put it through to the floor for a vote, and for whatever reason he's decided to sit on it for the time being. It's an all too common tactic used today, and the idea that one individual could/should have this kind of power is an atrocity! However, unless we are willing to sit around until this poor excuse for a public servant is defeated, or retires, the only thing that we can do is try to figure out what this guy's purpose is in stalling this piece of legistlation. Once we know that it may be possible to pursuade him to change his views, either through lobbying, a mass letter campaign threatening to take votes away, etc... whatever works. There's always a reason for what these guys do. All too often is comes down to money, votes, or both!

Images

Here is a link to contact the bill’s sponsor (John Lawrence) http://www.replawrence.com/contact.aspx

Here is a link to the bill’s fiscal report. This states that the owner is responsible for the YOM plate and says nothing about issuing a antique plate, which semi conflicts with the actual HB 1203 language.

http://www.legis.state.pa.us/WU01/LI/BI/FN/2011/0/HB1203P1598.pdf
    Ron Green

AACA Member #337715

So, if I read this correctly, the only Purple plates that will be able to be used are ones already registered and on a vehicle right now.

What I want to do is use my purple plate that I have from another car that I sold a while ago, and didn't transfer the plate. That plate is currently "dead" according to PennDOT. Will this bill permit me to restore this plate back to life?

This is what I would like to see happen. If I happen to buy a purple plate at a flea market or swap meet, and the letter/number combination is not currently registered on a plate in PA, then let me register the plate I bought. A trip to the DMV or a notary to confirm the plate is legible and in good enough condition to be on my car should be enough to make the state happy that I wouldn't be sticking an illegible plate on my car.

From what I've read in this thread, this is NOT what the bill permits. Is that correct? I will be stuck with one of those new cheesy cartoon car plates? I HATE that F***ING plate.

Images

As I stated above there appears to be a conflict between the bill and fiscal report regarding plates. The bill reads: “department may issue special plates for the motorcycle or vehicle. The special plate for antique motor vehicles, except antique motorcycles, shall bear the designation "antique vehicle." The fiscal report reads: “The plate must be provided by the owner and be legible from a reasonable distance”. So who know what the final outcome will be if any since currently all is shelved.

I see the purple plates sell at actions (some as much as $200) with no vehicle assigned to it so I assume whoever is buying these they are registering them to a vehicle.
    Ron Green

AACA Member #337715

Hey Ron,

Thanks for your reply. I am unconvinced, and believe that anyone buying a purple plate is doing it for either the value of the plate as a collectible, or they are hoping they can put it on a car but have no idea if they can yet.

I can tell you that right now, notaries and the state have both told me the same thing, that unless you buy a car with a purple plate and get it transferred to you from the owner, or unless you own a purple plate in your name on your car and are grandfathered in, there is no way to get an antique purple plate that is currently dead back in the system. I hope there is a clear answer on this, and I hope it falls in our favor. I know so many folks that would be thrilled with the move back to purple, and even if they aren't being made any more, you can get one if you look a bit. That is much more preferable to the plate with the horseless carriage oldsmobile picture.

I'm keeping the faith

Here is Senator John Rafferty's web site. Would anyone care to call him to see how he feels about HB1203? His intentions are critical, since he decides when & if it reaches the PA Senate for a vote.

Phil

No action on this bill as yet. It was passed by the House and referred to the Transportation Committee (headed by Senator Rafferty) on June 26, 2011. For some reason, it has not yet been sent by the committee for vote by the Senate.

Phil

looks like they killed it
    1966 Chrysler Newport 2dr ht, 383 Automatic
    1966 Ford Mustang coupe, 200 L6 Automatic
    1968 Chrysler 300, convertible, 440 automatic
    1970 Dodge Challenger R/T , 440 Automatic
    1973 Dodge Dart Swinger, 318 Automatic
    1974 Plymouth Cuda, 360 Automatic
    1991 Chrysler Lebaron, convertible, 3.0L automatic
    1994 Ford Taurus SHO., 3.2L Automatic
    2001 Ford Mustang GT Convertible, 4.6L atomatic