Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Old car friendly states?

Re: Old car friendly states?

Hi riomar000. Looks nice to go to Grand Canyon state. But do you know a place where we can hangout with a beautiful ocean?

Remember that only the lower half of Arizona is desert. the upper half is a platuo that extends from one side to the other. If you come this way let me know and I will give you a tour. Pat

Images

Idaho is a great climate for sheet metal, with low humidity and low precipitation, but not too many car events. No AACA regions or chapters yet, and no automotive museums.

I found a great place for a car collector once in the Midwest: an abandoned farm with no surviving house, but a 16-mule barn made out of stone. That would make a great place to work on antique cars. I haven't seen it for 25 years, but it's probably still there.
    Jeff Brown

AACA, Peerless Motor Car Club

Quote Originally Posted by 61-63 View Post
    But with the above said were I to move I would look seriously at the Nashville Tennessee area. Weather isn't bad and Nashville is within a day's drive of all manner of car events in the South and Midwest.
    Have to agree. Tennessee has no state income tax or personal goods income tax. Car tags are cheap (around$50) regardless if it is a 1915 Olds, a 1972 Pinto or a 2011 Rolls Royce. No car inspection IF you live outside the city.

OTOH, car sales tax at is 7% (try buying a new car and then get hit with a 7% sales tax) plus $84 and sales tax is anywhere from 8% to 9 3/4% depending on location. But given the fact that you don't have the income tax or high car tags I guess it evens out.

Weather here is hot and humid in the summer but relatively mild in the winter - had our first big snow here in about 10 years here.

Bob
    1929 Ford Model A Sport Coupe - AACA Senior
    1965 Chevrolet Corvair Monza - AACA Senior
    1966 Chevrolet Corvair Monza
    1981 Corvette
    1982 Jaguar XJ6
    1987 Jaguar XJ6
    1971 Kawasaki 90 G3SS
    1977 Honda CB750F Super Sport
    1978 Honda CB750F Super Sport
    1982 Honda CB900F Super Sport
    1985 Honda Sabre V65

Quote Originally Posted by MCHinson View Post
    I guess I should suggest North Carolina. Very active AACA Regions and Chapters, some nice old car friendly state laws, and you can avoid snow if you choose the right area. To totally avoid the snow, you might have to experience some humidity.

I would agree. NC does not require emissions inspections on vehicles 1995 and older only safety (lights, horns, etc.). Minimal taxes/fees on old car registration. Insurance both regular and collector policies are very reasonable.

Most of NC East of I85 and South of I40 is snow free most of the time. I leave in SE CHarlotte and we very rarely get bad weather. It may not be very warm in January but there are plenty of dry days to take car out for a spin.

NC is FULL of old car clubs and activities. With easy access to I95/I77/I85 you can get most anywhere along the Eastern Seaboard within a day's drive.
    AACA, CLC, WPA, NCPC, CCCA, SV, ASE.
    Cadillacs, Buicks, Imperials love the luxury!

Oddly enough, the Peoples' Republic of Maryland (as some of we residents affectionately call it) is actually pretty good for collector car owners. The only tax that is collected is when the car changes hands. Registration is $85 every two years. No emissions tests for cars of model year 1976 and older. Availability of Historic car plates (2500 mile yearly restriction) and a year of manufacture plate program. Of course, the down side here is that there are normally 3 months a year where you won't be driving your car because of the weather and the salt on the roads. You can't have everything.
    Lew Bachman
    1957 Thunderbird

Las Cruces, Alamogordo, or Deming, New Mexico...No Rust, Low Taxes, Few Restrictions

Tom, it sounds like an excuse for a ROAD TRIP!!!!

Thanks for all the good tips and comments.
    Last year I visited New Mexico, Georgia and North Carolina. Liked the southwest feel and dry clear climate in Albuquerque so it is high on my list now.
    I'm hoping for another prospecting trip this year - probably either August or late October and thinking to check Arizona and Nevada. I Don't know if I will have time for a road trip (usually don't get far from an airport) but want to sample enough areas to make a reasonable choice by summer of 2012 when I'm likely to return to the USA.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Burtch View Post
    Thanks for all the good tips and comments.
    Last year I visited New Mexico, Georgia and North Carolina. Liked the southwest feel and dry clear climate in Albuquerque so it is high on my list now.
    I'm hoping for another prospecting trip this year - probably either August or late October and thinking to check Arizona and Nevada. I Don't know if I will have time for a road trip (usually don't get far from an airport) but want to sample enough areas to make a reasonable choice by summer of 2012 when I'm likely to return to the USA.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Something to think about, Arizona is still emission testing cars 1967 and newer in all metro areas and including Pinal county's city of Maricopa. Don't know if antique plates will get you a exemption. DMV says no some businesses others say yes.
    Last edited by helfen; June 17th, 2011 at 17:47.

Smile Re: Old car friendly states?

Now, I am not sure why anyone in there right mind would live in the Phoenix area if they had a choice!! ONLY THE PHEONIX METRO AREA HAS TESTING, THE
    REST OF THE STATE DOES NOT. Also it is in the desert, and oh my God hot in the summer. Over half of the state is above 3000 feet higher and on average 15-20 degree cooler year round. You will sell yourself short if you dont check out Prescott. We have a nice airport, and we are one hour and a half north of Pheonix. And a free tour guide, me. Also I DO NOT SELL REAL ESTATE. In my close neighborhood, about 300 lots (1.5+plus acres each) currently there are over 140 restored or modified classics. Pat OBrien-Prescott

Pheonix is a living HELL on earth. Stay away from that rat hole. Tucson is better, but not by much. Prescott is not bad, but for my money, I'll take New Mexico.

Not to throw gas on a fire, but the crazy politics alone would eliminate Arizona for me. New Mexico would be my choice as well.
    Brian Clark
    BCA Vice-President 2014-2015
    BCA BOD, 2012-2015
    Treasurer, 1959 Division of the BCA
    Director, Greater Cincinnati Chapter
    http://www.buick-59.com/phpBB3/index.php
    http://www.cincinnatibca.org/
    "A New Generation of Great Buicks!"
    1958 Super 2 dr Riviera (SNOW WHITE)
    1959 Invicta 4 dr ht (LUCILLE)
    1965 Wildcat Custom Convertible (ROXANNE)
    1990 Reatta Coupe
    1996 Roadmaster Estate Wagon (FEZ)

BCA #41596, 1959 Div #0003, RDIV #2118

Quote Originally Posted by 1hooligan View Post
    Now, I am not sure why anyone in there right mind would live in the Phoenix area if they had a choice!! ONLY THE PHEONIX METRO AREA HAS TESTING, THE
    REST OF THE STATE DOES NOT. Also it is in the desert, and oh my God hot in the summer. Over half of the state is above 3000 feet higher and on average 15-20 degree cooler year round. You will sell yourself short if you dont check out Prescott. We have a nice airport, and we are one hour and a half north of Pheonix. And a free tour guide, me. Also I DO NOT SELL REAL ESTATE. In my close neighborhood, about 300 lots (1.5+plus acres each) currently there are over 140 restored or modified classics. Pat OBrien-Prescott
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Pat, even the city of Maricopa ( Pinal county ) not in a metro area has smog testing. My son & his wife have been trying to get us to move to AZ. from where we are on the central Ca. coast ( surfing/ cars and wine country ) for years. If we're going to go we've got to make the decision soon before Ca. collapses. Hate to do this because it's so beautiful and I just finished remodeling my retirement house plus I have a six car garage. I really don't want to start over. I have wanted to be where I'm at for years (20+) and now this state is going to screw everything up.
    On mothers day my wife got the usual flowers ect. , plus
    a box of hand made things from our grand kids. In that box was a bunch of real estate brochures from your area. They really want us to come. The prices are quite a bit more expensive in your area than the Phoenix suburbs. In the cities of Maricopa or Laveen they are practically giving houses away. Plus for now they have a governor that has a backbone compared to Ca.

Images

you can try north dakota it may be cold ,but all three of us living here like old cars

How about Utah for old cars?
    Not Salt Lake, but southern Utah seems appealing to me. Kanab, St. George. . . Pretty country although somewhat isolated.

What's the government like in Utah? I can't believe anyplace could be worse than New York.

There is an exemption for collectors and their cars in California with regards to having to file non-ops. You do not have to. See the new thread under Legislation on the message board. Any other questions, PM me and I will steer everyone in the right direction.
    Bill Adams

68 Dart modified
    69 Roadrunner convert
    66 Dart convert
    71 Challenger
    55 Desoto Fireflite Sportsman
    42 New Yorker Highlander club coupe
    89 Chrysler TC Maserati Red/Ginger x2
    83 Chrysler T&C convert AKA shelf paper woodie

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information