Thread: Damaged Oil Float

Damaged Oil Float

Seems my oil float came out of it's quide and hit the crank while running. the oil was at the correct level and now I have to remove the pan or lift the engine out to repair it properly. Just want to make sure I don't miss something. There is a small brass ring on the wire going up, I would have thought this would have kept it from going over the quide. Anyway it's not badly damaged, still floats.
    Thanks Again for your help

Re: Damaged Oil Float

The little indicator disc is actually threaded on the end of the wire/rod.

Quote Originally Posted by peecher View Post
    The little indicator disc is actually threaded on the end of the wire/rod.
    Thanks Peecher, this ring is attached lower down on the wire rod and sits just below the intake manifold. Mesured the distance from the top of the oil float and it was 15 inches, just want to make sure it was at the correct level. One more question where would you hook up to the engine when I lift it, want to change some tranny seals while I'm at it.

Thanks again

That lower ring (flange) was soldered to the top of the float. Not sure but I think if you remove the intake manifold the wire rod can be removed from the top, however, you still have to remove the oil pan in order to get the float. A chain with a couple of end-lugs attached across the engine to the head studs works well for lifting.

Quote Originally Posted by peecher View Post
    That lower ring (flange) was soldered to the top of the float. Not sure but I think if you remove the intake manifold the wire rod can be removed from the top, however, you still have to remove the oil pan in order to get the float. A chain with a couple of end-lugs attached across the engine to the head studs works well for lifting.
    Peecher, When my engine was rebuilt, the builder saw fit to remove the float and install a dipstick, (the dipstick!) This was before I owned the car. I have been contemplating the install of the float since I have the parts. You had indicated a chain to lift the engine--do I need to to this to remove the pan? Glenn Lorei

Glenn, No chain, you will need to just remove the oil pan in order to install the float and rod assembly. You may have trouble feeding the rod thru the small orifice in the intake manifold in which case you may have to remove ( or lift up) the manifold far enough to feed the rod thru. When reinstalling the pan it would be a good idea to make sure the float drops into the recess (in the pan) before completely tightening the pan to the block. I check it when the pan is about an inch or less away from the lower crakcase rail.

Thread Information