Thread: Need advice & counsel on '30 Packard 745

Need advice & counsel on '30 Packard 745

My old friend finally retrieved the '30 Packard Model 745 roadster he owned 40 years ago. Tho' re-restored in the interim, it sat unused for a few years in a private collection. My hands on Packard experience is with
    late '30s, '40s. We're in the San Fran/Oakland East Bay area. Anyone know a good source for points/distributor cap, ignition parts? And, as
    i haven't seen the car since its return "home" last Friday, is the canister at the left side of the engine an oil rectifier or ? How is it serviced?

Enquiring minds want to know. Many thanks!
    Last edited by Water Jacket; February 26th, 2013 at 15:54.

Images

Re: Need advice & counsel on '30 Packard 745

Oil Filter
    Like this. http://forums.aaca.org/f119/packard-...ry-340951.html
    The original oil filter was a Purolator EF-2, a disposable canister type of bypass filter. There is a modern unit that externally matches the EF-2 but accepts a modern, spin-on filter inside. There was a vendor who advertised in the Packard club magazine, and I saw him set up in the Orange Field (?) at Hershey. His name was Burr Ripley, but he has since passed away. No more knowledge as to whether anyone has picked up the business of making the filters.
    Last edited by West Peterson; August 16th, 2014 at 19:26. Reason: Burr Ripley passed away
    West Peterson, Editor
    Antique Automobile (AACA)
    No man treats a motorcar as foolishly as he treats another human being. When the car will not go, he does not attribute its annoying behavior to sin, he does not say, "You are a wicked motorcar and I shall not give you any more petrol until you go." He attempts to find out what is wrong and set it right. Bertrand Russel

"Things are more like they are now than they've ever been!" Uncle Arni

Thank you. Now all he needs are the above ignition bits.

?
    Last edited by Water Jacket; February 26th, 2013 at 20:16.

Quote Originally Posted by Water Jacket View Post
    Thank you. Now all he needs are the above ignition bits.

?
    Try John Ulrich in El Sobrante, Cal. 510 223 9587, he has the parts your looking for.

John

Snopak --- Thanks for the above tip. I know John, but haven't seen him in ages, forgot albout him--- and he owns a nice '32 Light Eight roadster, knows the older cars, too.
    BTW, i have your bound collection of "Packard Tips," a wonderful source which i recommend to all Packardites.

Images

Isn't John Ulrich the guy who made the new distributor plate for the Northeast distributors to accept newer, commonly available point sets? if so, that's definetly the way you want to go.
    John

The real pity in America is that the people who really know how to run the country are all tending bar and cutting hair--George Burns

Images

Since this post has been brought back to the top, I have made edits to my earlier post that Burr Ripley has passed away.
    West Peterson, Editor
    Antique Automobile (AACA)
    No man treats a motorcar as foolishly as he treats another human being. When the car will not go, he does not attribute its annoying behavior to sin, he does not say, "You are a wicked motorcar and I shall not give you any more petrol until you go." He attempts to find out what is wrong and set it right. Bertrand Russel

"Things are more like they are now than they've ever been!" Uncle Arni

I wasn't aware Burr had passed. I loaned him the original filter from which he cast his first replacements. He began by casting them in a sand mold he made in the ground in his back yard. Another talented guy who will be missed.
    1932 Packard 900 Conv Cpe
    1955 Jaguar XK-140 Drophead
    1948 Buick Woody
    1931 Model A Tudor
    :o All unrestored, shoemaker's kids, you know?

Senior Master Judge 87 Credits

Thread Information