Thread: 1957-65 Imperial Limousines by Ghia for Chrysler

1957-65 Imperial Limousines by Ghia for Chrysler

If you are an owner of a 1957-65 Imperial Limousine with coachbuilt body by Ghia of Turin Italy, I would like to start a registry of current owners.

I own the 1960 Crown Imperial 5-window limousine that was special ordered by Nelson Rockefeller when he was elected governor of New York state that year. He used this car for formal events in NY City.

He also owned a '59 Ghia limo which he gave to NY State for his use in Albany, the state capital. When Nelson became Vice President of the United States, the '59 was given back to Rocky and the car remains on display at the family estate, Kykuit, in New York.

Please post a photo of your car and the VIN for reference. Thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3-4_sml.jpg 
Views:	1125 
Size:	105.9 KB 
ID:	102109   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2011_01170007.JPG 
Views:	3797 
Size:	345.2 KB 
ID:	102110  

Re: 1957-65 Imperial Limousines by Ghia for Chrysler

Well this certainly went nowhere. Am I the only Ghia Imperial owner in the AACA?

Images

Perhaps you are. From my understanding these were very rare cars even in their day. I became moderately interested in them back in the late 70's when a 57 Imperial turned up for sale for a $100. It turned out to be just a regular Imperial but I had hopes that it was.
    ~DJ~

There's nothing like that old car smell.

1956 Ford Fairlane Town Sedan 30K original miles

Used to own:
    51 Cadillac Series 62 coupe
    63 Buick Riviera
    63 Dodge Dart 270 2dr sedan
    63 Ford F-100 Custom Cab
    67 Cadillac CDV Convert
    68 Cadillac SDV
    70 Ford Maverick
    72 Chevy Impala Sport Coupe
    72 Ford Courier
    73 Ford Gran Torino Hardtop Coupe
    74 Mazda RX-4 Coupe
    77 Plymouth Volare Premier Wagon
    77 GMC Sierra Grande 4X4
    + many more...

StillOutThere... as you know you are NOT the only owner of a Ghia limo but may be the only one that reads posts at the AACA forum. These forums are usually niche places to go and people have to know where to go to post... most of the time they don't have a clue or don't care.

I know that there is a registry for the 1956-1957 Continental MKII (Lincoln) and they are relatively rare today. But there are thousands of owners and title tracking has been done on most, some by way of the Ford Archives research for original owners. I have helped them with current and past owner registries via VIN numbers for certain states.

Maybe if you start a forum unique to the cause there may be more willing to participate, especially with word of mouth and at meets?

Eric

Wanted to add that there were a total of 132 Ghia built limousines. I am sure with some Google searching and forum searches you can track down several of them and in turn they may be able to locate others and/or say if any were destroyed or lost in some storage facility?

1957 - 36
    1958 - 31
    1959 - 7
    1960 - 16
    1961 - 9
    1962 - 0
    1963 - 13
    1964 - 10
    1965 - 10

The 1965 was actually a 1964 model with '65 exterior styling.

Eric

Images

Also the service vehicle forum is lesser trafficked I'd imagine, maybe post a thread in the regular Chrysler forum, or even general with a link to this post? In that case Chrysler fans would remember an owner of similar cars and would be more likely to tell them about your post or direct them to it.
    Also, I'm sure in time your post will show up in internet searches so owners may filter in as they get curious from time to time and perform a new search on their cars.
    Marrs
    1962 Mercedes-Benz 220seW111 Coupe
    1936 GMC Pickup (family project rig)

Car news: MotoArigato

Sold or traded: '57 Cadillac Series 62 Sedan, '76 Jaguar XJ6L, '63 Jaguar Mk X, 84 Porsche 944, '88 Merkur Scorpio (x2), '99 C230 Kompressor, '04 Porsche Cayenne S

I would agree that posting to this area would be more likely viewed by the hearse and ambulance enthusiasts. I don't own a Ghia Crown Imperial, but i have driven two of them. Years ago, I was riding in a friends' '65 Lincoln Continental on the way back to the Chicago area when we passed the '59 Crown then owned by Joe Bortz cruising up I-65. Years later, I had the great pleasure of driving that car when the next owners, Bill Lauer and Robert McAtee, moved their collection from California to Durango. CO. They have since sold the car, and I'm not sure where it went.
    The other limousine that I've driven is a '64, owned by Cecil McCall of Atlanta at the time. He believed that his car was the blind-quarter car photographed for the '64 advert. Cecil also has sold his car and I believe it went to a collector in Canada.
    You would have better luck connecting with Ghia-built Crown Imperials if you were to go to www.Imperialclub.com.
    I am in the midst of an extensive restoration of a 1955 Crown Imperial formal sedan, one of 45 built.
    Cheers,
    Roger Irland
    Phoenix, AZ

Re: 1960 Imperial Limousines by Ghia for Chrysler

I forgot to mention that I saw your car a number of years ago in Pismo Beach, CA. It had recently been restored, including reproducing the smaller than factory Imperial script on the front fenders. I believe that car is also the car that Jacqueline Kennedy used in the funeral in DC in 1963. She simply would not be seen in a Cadillac.
    Cheers,
    Roger

Quote Originally Posted by RogerPHX View Post
    I forgot to mention that I saw your car a number of years ago in Pismo Beach, CA. It had recently been restored, including reproducing the smaller than factory Imperial script on the front fenders. I believe that car is also the car that Jacqueline Kennedy used in the funeral in DC in 1963. She simply would not be seen in a Cadillac.
    Cheers,
    Roger
    Interesting. Any particular reason why Jacqueline would not ride in a Cadillac limo? I know around that time Cadillac had a reputation of being a "black person's" car and wonder considering segregation at the time?

Eric

Jackie Kennedy most certainly rode in Cadillac Limos. Google "Kennedy '59 Cadillac" for a video. The car in the video still exists in private hands in unrestored condition.
    1932 Packard 900 Conv Cpe
    1955 Jaguar XK-140 Drophead
    1948 Buick Woody
    1931 Model A Tudor
    :o All unrestored, shoemaker's kids, you know?

Senior Master Judge 87 Credits

Quote Originally Posted by RogerPHX View Post
    Cheers,
    Roger
    Thanks for mentioning you saw my car (Nelson Rockefeller's originally) at Pismo. I had been incorrectly told it was at Pebble and could not follow that up. It would have been shown at Pismo after then-owner Jay Stream of San Luis Obispo had cosmetically restored the car. Now to see if I can find out year and if any photos exist.

This is not Jackie's car. Hers was technically a '61 model (used '60 sheet metal but Ghia's work was completed in '61. Hers was the standard 7-window body rather than Rocky's special order 5-window. But Jackie's is also a special order in that it was full black leather in both the chauffeur's and passenger compartments. Surely "her car", said to be leased from Chrysler Corp., exists somewhere in collector hands but to my knowledge has not been seen since JFK's funeral for which it was used and is seen in photos.

Someone else commented on the Lauer '59 burgundy car. Bill passed away perhaps a year ago by the way. The car is in the Atwell collection here in central Texas.

Thanks for everyone's interest and input.

A few years back one of the clubs I belong to toured a collection in Kingsland TX (west of Austin) and he had a Ghia limo. He also had 5 of the Chrysler TC convertibles along with many other Chrysler products. I would need to call some people to get a name.
    Barney Eaton
    BCA technical adviser for Reattas
    BCA Board alumni
    BCA technical adviser coordinator
    Keeper of the Reatta database

Quote Originally Posted by Barney Eaton View Post
    A few years back one of the clubs I belong to toured a collection in Kingsland TX (west of Austin) and he had a Ghia limo. He also had 5 of the Chrysler TC convertibles along with many other Chrysler products. I would need to call some people to get a name.
    Barney, did you get some names? I am interested in asking some questions especially about the Ghia built Imperials and the T&C convertibles!

My Packards / Imperials Page has a roster of the '57 to '65 Ghia-Imperials including the '64 that I owned for most of the car's life. There should be a link below.
    Packards / Imperials Page

1951 Henney-Packard 3-door long wheelbase military ambulance
    2 1954 Packard Patrician sedans
    1956 Clipper Custom sedan
    1965 Imperial LeBaron
    1965 Cadillac Fleetwood 60 Special

Former cars included numerous Packards and Henney-Packards from 1939 to 1956, three 1964 Imperials including a Ghia limousine, 1954 Cadillac Fleetwood, 1956 Cadillac 2-door and three other 1965 Cadillacs.

Always be yourself; everyone else is already taken. (Harvey Fierstein)

Quote Originally Posted by Packard Don View Post
    My Packards / Imperials Page has a roster of the '57 to '65 Ghia-Imperials including the '64 that I owned for most of the car's life. There should be a link below.
    I have posted my Rockefeller '60 to the linked page. Also added Rocky's '59 to the roster.

Thanks.

I own 6 Ghia built crown Imperial limousines.Years are 65,63,60,58,58,57 I have worked on them exstensivley and reproduced Ghia only parts I prefer speaking on the phone feel free to call me David 303-947-0444

My Packards / Imperials Page has a roster for Ghia-Imperials so if yours isn't listed, I would love to add it! See my signature below for a link. So far, 19 of the 132 Ghia-Imperials are there.
    Packards / Imperials Page

1951 Henney-Packard 3-door long wheelbase military ambulance
    2 1954 Packard Patrician sedans
    1956 Clipper Custom sedan
    1965 Imperial LeBaron
    1965 Cadillac Fleetwood 60 Special

Former cars included numerous Packards and Henney-Packards from 1939 to 1956, three 1964 Imperials including a Ghia limousine, 1954 Cadillac Fleetwood, 1956 Cadillac 2-door and three other 1965 Cadillacs.

Always be yourself; everyone else is already taken. (Harvey Fierstein)

Thread Information