Thread: Valve Cage

Valve Cage

I was reading through a book entitled "Krausz's ABC of Motoring" (1906), where the term "valve cage" (of the engine) was used. What is a valve cage?

Re: Valve Cage

Good to know that you're into the older cars! A valve cage was an early design that was a removeable unit, valve, spring and seat. Try to picture a BIG sparkplug about two inches wide at the threaded portion, the valve would be in the same location as the porcelain insulator, with a spring and keeper. This unit could be removed to grind the valve seat in an early T head engine. If you can find a copy of Dykes Automobile Encyclopedia there are some great illustrations of this valve design. This design is still used in some diesel engines today.

Thank you for your response!

This morning I located the only A.L.Dyke publication I have, The Diseases and Cures of a Gasoline Automobile and How to Cure Them (Revised edition-1908), which does not have the illustrations you mention. However, your description is very complete and understandable.

Thanks again.

The later (WW-I era) Dykes Encyclopedias mention them.

I think Buicks used caged valves, pre-'20s.

Some early motorcycle engines also employed this technology.

They had pretty much disappeared from passenger cars by 1925 or so.

De Soto Frank

I own a 14 and a 22 Buick and both have cage valves. They work fine.

Dan

My 1923 Buick had caged valves.You could take a large spanner and out came valve,seat spring and all. You could grind the valves without draining the coolant.Neat!

Thread Information