Thread: 47 hudson truck and 40 hudson sedan 2dr

47 hudson truck and 40 hudson sedan 2dr

i bought a 47 hudson big boy and a 26 dodge brothers coupe from a man in clinton iowa on saturday.he also has this 47 hudson truck for sale too.the bad about this truck is no title.it has great potential for a nice rod.it has a 390 ford and c-6 in it.he has the hood and other fender also.has many parts to it.calls are the only way,he has no computer. 563-397-9677 or get back thru me and i can try to help you out too.hes asking 4500 and it has had a lot of work done too it.please be a serious buyer as the man who owns this is in a rehab center after breaking a hip,he is 73 years young and needs some financial help.this number is a friend of his helping his sister sell his possesions. he also has this hudson two door sedan for 4200 with a title.has chevy motor and trans. THE TRUCK HAS BEEN BOUGHT BUT THE SEDAN IS STILL UP FOR SALE
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	47 hud 1.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	249.1 KB 
ID:	191856   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	47 hud2.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	244.4 KB 
ID:	191857   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	47 hud5.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	221.9 KB 
ID:	191858   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	47  hud3.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	270.1 KB 
ID:	191859   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	47 hud4.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	255.0 KB 
ID:	191860  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	40 hudson modified.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	38.8 KB 
ID:	192218   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	40 hudson sed modified.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	48.4 KB 
ID:	192219   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	40 sed hud modified.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	39.1 KB 
ID:	192220   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	40 hud sed modified.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	49.7 KB 
ID:	192221  
    Last edited by memech1; May 24th, 2013 at 09:56. Reason: add to the ad

Images

Re: 47 hudson truck

No photos of the Dodge?
    1931 Dodge Brothers DH6 business coupe w/ wire wheels
    1931 Dodge Brothers DH6 business coupe w/ wood wheels (my 1st car and still have it)
    and visions of my past old cars....

Sr (grey-haired) Member Rob McDonald's Avatar

YOUMECH, I'm kind of looking for a Hudson truck. Although a rodded one doesn't appeal to me, the body on this looks pretty good and Iowa is not all that far away from where I live. Were any irreversible modifications made to wedge the Ford powertrain in there? Would the old guy be able to throw in the Hudson engine and transmission? How complete is the rest of the truck - interior, grille, trim, bed, rear fenders?

How's the one that you brought home - original or "improved"? Just curious. Also, do you know how the Big Boy name got attached to this range of trucks from Hudson? I haven't seen any original sales literature referring to it that way.
    Last edited by Rob McDonald; May 6th, 2013 at 13:37.
    Rob McDonald
    1957 Buick Roadmaster model 73A, owned since February 1973
    1962 Valiant Signet
    1967 Valiant 100, daily driver

I'd like to see the dodge also.

Quote Originally Posted by JayG View Post
    I'd like to see the dodge also.
    the hudson in clinton i believe was a complete truck when it was modified but i dont think it had the original motor and parts with it,i think the guy would have mentioned it and i looked around his building for a while and saw no flat sixes or any older motors for that matter.i think the truck could be put back stock ,but its hard to see what they did for mounts with the big block in the way.the one i bought has a small block chevy and turbo trans in it .it fortunately has a title but is pretty rough in the floor areas.heres a couple pics of our newest projects.the 26 is just mocked up for the pics,its apart but there is a lot there.the rear end has been changed and it has i think small block chevy mounts welded in also but that can be changed.i realize chevys are easy but why not keep ford a ford and dodge a dodge etc.the hudson was driven on the trailer in 06 but has not been touched since.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	26 dodge 1.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	338.7 KB 
ID:	191986   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	26 dodge 2.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	243.8 KB 
ID:	191987   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	47 hud 1.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	432.1 KB 
ID:	191988   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	47 hud 2.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	435.4 KB 
ID:	191989  

Quote Originally Posted by Rob McDonald View Post
    YOUMECH, Also, do you know how the Big Boy name got attached to this range of trucks from Hudson? I haven't seen any original sales literature referring to it that way.
    In 46-47 Hudson only made long wheel base trucks. In past years they made short wheel base and long wheel base trucks. The short wheel base were on Car chasses. The long wheel base on there own truck frame, hence the name "Big Boy" In 46-47 as said they made NO short wheel base trucks.

Just so you know, You CAN NOT, export a vehicle out of the USA with out a Title.

And also, I would say that this "looks' to be a heck of a deal. Rodded or not, these trucks are fetching a very high dollar when done up nice.
    29 Hudson sedan
    28 Hudson r/s coupe
    25 Hudson coach
    23 Hudson 4p speedster
    23 Essex-4 touring
    17 Hudson 4p speedster
    46 hudson truck

Quote Originally Posted by Rob McDonald View Post
    YOUMECH, Also, do you know how the Big Boy name got attached to this range of trucks from Hudson? I haven't seen any original sales literature referring to it that way.
    In 46-47 Hudson only made long wheel base trucks. In past years they made short wheel base and long wheel base trucks. The short wheel base were on Car chasses. The long wheel base on there own truck frame, hence the name "Big Boy" In 46-47 as said they made NO short wheel base trucks.

Just so you know, You CAN NOT, export a vehicle out of the USA with out a Title.

And also, I would say that this "looks' to be a heck of a deal. Rodded or not, these trucks are fetching a very high dollar when done up nice.
    29 Hudson sedan
    28 Hudson r/s coupe
    25 Hudson coach
    23 Hudson 4p speedster
    23 Essex-4 touring
    17 Hudson 4p speedster
    46 hudson truck

if you look close at the pics of the blue one and the pics of the one i bought it looks like the blue one has a shorter wheel base than mine,may be the guy doesnt quite know the year??were the front ends different or the same from long to short wheel base vehicles? this is a very solid looking truck none the less and i hope someone can put it back into society where others can enjoy it too.

I think you'll discover the Blue one is a 1940. It appears to be a 1940 dash. The serial number plate should be on right front door post,
    unless it's been removed.

thanks for the info,i will have to try to get ahold of the guy and get another look at it and some numbers if i can.i want this to be as up front as my knowledge will let me be. i have no stake in the matter and anyone can call him and get info also.

SORRY I SCREWED UP HIS NUMBER its 563-357-9677 not 397!! sorry if any of you got the number no longer in service!!

went back and edited my mistake,hope i didnt inconvenience anyone.i called him also and he is going to check on the tag and get back with me on the numbers if they still exist.i believe there is also a two door sedan hudson in the same building for sale that has a title and of course a chevy motor.sorry but i didnt get pics of it but it was all flat black and looked pretty good too.

Re: 47 hudson truck and 40 hudson sedan 2dr

MEMECH, thanks for this extra information and to Paul for the Big Boy explanation. I'm still tempted, although if this is a 1940 with a 128" wheelbase and therefore a real truck, maybe not. My hauling needs are limited to trips to Home Depot for a couple sheets of drywall. I'd much prefer a car-based truck, especially one based on the very fine post-war Hudson Super Six. Further data from the owner would be welcome. Heck, I should just call him myself, shouldn't I?

PAUL, from your location in BC, I gather you have direct experience trying to import an untitled car from the US. Seems funny that, while there are no provinces that use the vehicle title system, our federal government would insist on it as proof of ownership. Some states require swearing on a stack of bibles or something to get a new title issued; I wonder if Iowa allows that?

There is a US government export permit available for a car that's leaving the country. Among other things, this permit is supposed to verify that a title is present. However, because you don't have to speak to the US border guard as you drive out, it's up to you to submit this permit or not. You really only need it if you try to bring the car back to the US someday. Again, I wonder if an old car on a trailer would cause the US guards to flag you in for a chat about your export venture?
    Last edited by Rob McDonald; May 23rd, 2013 at 20:31.
    Rob McDonald
    1962 Valiant Signet

Vehicles for export from the USA have to have their titles sent to US customs at the point of departure 72 hours in advance of exporting. If you just drive across into Canada and don't do this you can get into some deep do do. Canada customs can and WILL turn you back if you have not done this and US customs can then seize the vehicle plus whatever else they choose to and good luck getting it back. These scenarios have been played out in the past few years at several Ontario crossings. That said if the vehicle is old and decrpit enough Canada and US Customs may accept a registration rather than a title but there is no guarantee and it is best to make inquiries beforehand. I have imported antique motorcycles and know the drill well.

What Barry said. I have exported 3 cars out of the USA. It's a simple task. You send/email a copy of title and bill of sale, wait 3 days, then go to the US customs office on your return to Canada during buisness hours, monday to friday only.
    US customs does not look at the vehicle, only the paper work. Then on to CND customs.
    You can hire a Broker to do all of this for you if you like, generaly around $500.
    29 Hudson sedan
    28 Hudson r/s coupe
    25 Hudson coach
    23 Hudson 4p speedster
    23 Essex-4 touring
    17 Hudson 4p speedster
    46 hudson truck

You got a lazy customs officer. They are supposed to check that the vin number on the vehicle matches the title. I have noticed an increase in incompetent officers on both sides of the border.
    1934 Lagonda M45
    1936 Ford 1.5T Dually Panel Truck
    1936 Indian 4
    1927 Henderson
    Broughs and Nortons

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Brown View Post
    You got a lazy customs officer. They are supposed to check that the vin number on the vehicle matches the title. I have noticed an increase in incompetent officers on both sides of the border.
    the hudson truck has been bought by some one but the 40 sedan is still up for sale yet.thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by memech1 View Post
    the hudson truck has been bought by some one
    WHEW! I'm glad to be rid of that temptation. I hope the truck gets nicely finished.

I brought a US car across the border last spring, my third such import in 30 years. I'd done all the pre-arrangements, including faxing the title to the crossing three days in advance. I had my US export permit with me and expected to hand it over on the American border guard but then realized that you don't normally stop on the way out. The first and only stop is on the north side of the line. I explained to the Canadian guard that I had to hand in this permit "back there". Rolling her eyes, she waved me through, to reenter the US on the other side of the shared crossing station. Hey, I only do this every ten years or so, I forget the routine.

The car I was importing is a 2006 BMW 530xi, a black station wagon with black custom wheels, tinted windows - very ghetto-looking, in a nice way. I was surprised, the agent hardly looked at it through the window but he did give me some good advice on getting around BMW Canada's extortionist ways (long story, for another time). I wouldn't say he was lazy, just a good judge of character and my grey hair definitely builds trust.
    Rob McDonald
    1962 Valiant Signet

Thread Information